Official Running Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
A word of warning to any runner who gives blood!

Should have thought about it a bit more, but gave blood as usual c12 days ago. Always feel a little weaker than normal in the few days after, but the following Sunday did a long and hilly 21 miler. Come last Wednesday, crawled around 4 miles, and then spent 2 days in bed with absolutely no energy!

For those who dont know, (and having checked on Google!) your red blood cells are vital for passing oxygen around your system, at any time, but particularly if you are doing long distance training. Take say 10% out when you give blood, and your body wont thank you! The web suggests not giving blood for the 8 weeks prior to a marathon as that is the time it takes to replace the lost red blood cells. (Tour De France cyclists have been caught injecting red blood cells prior to stages to get more oxygen around their system).

Upshot is I have effectively missed a week's training, and am starting again gently tomorrow. Hope wont blow my PB goal, but very annoyed with myself for being so stupid as have put a lot of training in this time!

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
A word of warning to any runner who gives blood!

Should have thought about it a bit more, but gave blood as usual c12 days ago. Always feel a little weaker than normal in the few days after, but the following Sunday did a long and hilly 21 miler. Come last Wednesday, crawled around 4 miles, and then spent 2 days in bed with absolutely no energy!

For those who dont know, (and having checked on Google!) your red blood cells are vital for passing oxygen around your system, at any time, but particularly if you are doing long distance training. Take say 10% out when you give blood, and your body wont thank you! The web suggests not giving blood for the 8 weeks prior to a marathon as that is the time it takes to replace the lost red blood cells. (Tour De France cyclists have been caught injecting red blood cells prior to stages to get more oxygen around their system).

Upshot is I have effectively missed a week's training, and am starting again gently tomorrow. Hope wont blow my PB goal, but very annoyed with myself for being so stupid as have put a lot of training in this time!

Sound advice, I hadnt booked any blood giving at this time but wouldnt have given it a second thought without this warning.

Thanks also chimneys for your words of encouragement over recent weeks. Today I managed 21 in 2.53 on a hillier course than last week (20 in 2hr 40). After 16 failed attempts to get under 4 hrs, and planning to run 4 in 4 weeks I feel the best prepared I have ever been I know mentally I need to be strong.

Could 15/4 be the day?

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Good time! I did 20.4miles today but in 3.09. Need to press on to hit the sub 4 hour mark but felt relatively fresh at the end. I have done with the hills now and sticking to the flat. The only problem I had was when the the live version of Ultravox's The Voice played on my ipod shuffle as the electronic drum melody really messed up my pacing.

Sound advice, I hadnt booked any blood giving at this time but wouldnt have given it a second thought without this warning.

Thanks also chimneys for your words of encouragement over recent weeks. Today I managed 21 in 2.53 on a hillier course than last week (20 in 2hr 40). After 16 failed attempts to get under 4 hrs, and planning to run 4 in 4 weeks I feel the best prepared I have ever been I know mentally I need to be strong.

Could 15/4 be the day?

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Is that 4 marathons in 4 weeks?!!?

Good time! I did 20.4miles today but in 3.09. Need to press on to hit the sub 4 hour mark but felt relatively fresh at the end. I have done with the hills now and sticking to the flat. The only problem I had was when the the live version of Ultravox's The Voice played on my ipod shuffle as the electronic drum melody really messed up my pacing.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Is that 4 marathons in 4 weeks?!!?

It is, on four consecutive Sundays. Its not up there with John Bishop or Eddie Izzard but for me its a challenge and my way of trying desperately to get under 4 hours.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Good luck with that. I did Paris and London on consecutive Sundays about 8 years ago. I got a deep tissue leg massage inbetween at the gym which really helped.

It is, on four consecutive Sundays. Its not up there with John Bishop or Eddie Izzard but for me its a challenge and my way of trying desperately to get under 4 hours.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Good luck with that. I did Paris and London on consecutive Sundays about 8 years ago. I got a deep tissue leg massage inbetween at the gym which really helped.

Someone else suggested massages between each one so will look into that. :thumbsup:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Running the Brighton Marathon soon, for the first time. I'm unsure as to whether get the train over (from Worthing) or use the park and ride. What does everyone recommend? My main concern with the train, is the walk back to the station afterwards could be a real struggle!

Train.

The walk back to the station will be good for you. Taking the train will be less painfull than trying to brake quickly if you need to.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Whats the furthest distance I should be looking to go this weekend? Missed my big run last week so anxious to make up, but seeing as only 2 weeks away now don't wanna do any damage.....

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Whats the furthest distance I should be looking to go this weekend? Missed my big run last week so anxious to make up, but seeing as only 2 weeks away now don't wanna do any damage.....

My advice would be you are fine to do your final long run (20 ish but not too quick) this w/e, but make sure that is the last one. A few pacy mid week runs next week and week after with no more than a modest half next w/e should see you fine.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
My advice would be you are fine to do your final long run (20 ish but not too quick) this w/e, but make sure that is the last one. A few pacy mid week runs next week and week after with no more than a modest half next w/e should see you fine.

I did a not too quick 20m last weekend. That's the longest I've done (done 18/17/16 a few times). The longest pacey run (quicker than target race pace by about 30s per mile) I've done is about 8 miles. What do you more experienced runners recommend for tomorrow am? I was thinking a pacey 12 or so, but should I do a slower longer one? Help!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I did a not too quick 20m last weekend. That's the longest I've done (done 18/17/16 a few times). The longest pacey run (quicker than target race pace by about 30s per mile) I've done is about 8 miles. What do you more experienced runners recommend for tomorrow am? I was thinking a pacey 12 or so, but should I do a slower longer one? Help!

I'd suggest 15 or 16 this weekend, then for the next week or so after that do most of your shorter runs at your planned Marathon pace, getting used to running at the pace you will be running the Marathon. No more than 12 miles next weekend, maybe half of that at PMP, the just a few leg turners in the last week.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I reckon I'm out this year

I've struggled with all my long runs and have only completed about 3 20 mile ones but felt more tired than usual with them all.

Then, on Monday, I went for a bit of a 10k blast and my heart rate was running at about 210-215bpm! I usually run a 10k pace at about 180bpm and can get about 190ish as an absolute maximum. I backed off and then tried a few more efforts and it went straight away above 200bpm so I knocked that session on the head.

I went out on Wednesday to try a long run and even running at my marathon pace, straight away my heart rate monitor was showing 180bpm when I'd expect it to run at about 165bpm so I turned back after 30mins.

I'm going to go out tomorrow and see whats what (reading up, the battery might be on its way out giving false readings) and depending on that run, i'll decide if to run the marathon or not. Even if I do, i'm woefully behind with my training and 2 weeks out, I can't make it up!

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I would suggest that you taper down now and concentrate on your hydration before the run. I find that a decent red wine will help the red blood cells flow efficiently and a couple of brandies will help you sleep well! On a serious note, stop "training" now and just keep your legs limbered and stretched. It is too late to train and you should concentrate on resting and stretching. I have booked a sports massage two days beforehand. Best wishes for the day and there are some decent BHA leisure shirts on sale on line for the big day...

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Ps . What was your 20m time out of interest?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
How did everyone get on this w/e?

For me it was a "fitness test", having not run for 2 weeks after my stupid decision to give blood 2.5 wks ago, which on top of the serious training, sent my iron count through the floor So it was an all or nothing, am I likely to get close to my target in 2 weeks time or has my fitness gone.

Relieved to confirm a 2'38 20 miler means I am going to give it a shot, even if it turns in to a recce for a full go at it next year, rather than miss out for the 3rd year running (not to mention clocking up c£130 in abortive entry fees).

On the blood situation, got blood test result on Friday- iron/red blood range can be apparently anywhere between 30-400. I was at 38 i.e. close to running on empty. Am now taking 84 mg iron per day (split and taken with each meal, together with Vit C which apparently helps iron absorption). Any GPs or other medics know whether this sounds sensible or if I should be upping/lowering doses? Any advice much appreciated.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Went for a 15 in the end but worryingly did not feel good at all. Went at a pretty slowish pace so can't really work out what the problem was.

Gonna do a few shorted faster ones this week and then a 10 next w/e and see how that feels.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Went for a 15 in the end but worryingly did not feel good at all. Went at a pretty slowish pace so can't really work out what the problem was.

Gonna do a few shorted faster ones this week and then a 10 next w/e and see how that feels.

I wouldn't worry too much. Prob just the ups and downs of training. I did a storming Thanet 20 a couple of years back then became really sluggish for the next few weeks but on the big day I was fine. I put it down to mental fatigue.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Did 10 miles earlier today at 10min/mile pace. Didn't feel great but that probably had a lot to do with the pre and post match beers yesterday. No more alcohol for the next 2 weeks for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports