Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Very early forecast for Brighton marathon day (from notoriously inaccurate Metcheck!):

6:00- 11:59 Temp 7 °c Feels like 5 °c Rain 5.0 mm 24 mph wind (from south).

Temperature perfect. Just need to reduce the rain and wind (but at least from south so side not head wind) and will be ideal, unlike last 2 years!

Appreciate likely to change massively in next 10 days, but I'd settle for that.

5 degrees and 24mph wind must lead to quite a windchill I would think! Last year was too hot though. Weather like last Sunday would be perfect.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
chimneys is right - 15 today and 20 on Friday is much too much. You won't be any better on Friday than you were today. And, again, like Chimneys says - throw in a few shorter, quicker runs and concentrate on eating & sleeping well before next weekend

That said, i'm going to try to sneak in 20 tomorrow as a last ditch effort. If I feel rubbish during that, I won't be running the marathon this year as my training since early March has just gone all wrong.

How did it go?

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
How did it go?

I ran today in the end but couldn't face the monotony of the seafront so I did a hilly 1/2 marathon loop around 13 flights of steps across Brighton & Hove then tagged on an extra 40mins on the seafront so just under 3hrs and 17ish miles.

I felt really good which puts me in conundrum as i'd all but decided not to run next sunday!

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I ran today in the end but couldn't face the monotony of the seafront so I did a hilly 1/2 marathon loop around 13 flights of steps across Brighton & Hove then tagged on an extra 40mins on the seafront so just under 3hrs and 17ish miles.

I felt really good which puts me in conundrum as i'd all but decided not to run next sunday!

You felt good - go for it. Shame to waste the entry.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I started running "seriously" in about 1999 and no matter how far I run, be it 1 mile, 6 miles, 13 miles or the full monty marathon, it always seems to take me 10 minutes or so to get into the a relaxed rythym and pace myself. I suspect you are just getting used to it. Welcome to the club!

Hey guys a bit of advice required. I have just taken up running so am not the best! I just did a short 2.5K and I don't feel tired during it, the only thing that I struggle with is a stitch. Is this just due to my body not being used to running or something I recently ate etc?

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I don't really use a cross trainer but I use a treadmill on interval hill setting which is good for a 20 minute session. The rowing machine is also good for the lungs - I hate it, so I know it is doing me good! Do a 2000m (8 mins) warm up.

Hey All

i'm struggling to keep up my training due to the hours I work when deployed, i can't get out to run on the upper deck as due to the time I finish work for the day its dark outside, Our 'Gym' only has a Crosstrainer, bike and rowing machine in, Does anyone regularly use a crosstrainer for their own training or do intervals on one?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I started running "seriously" in about 1999 and no matter how far I run, be it 1 mile, 6 miles, 13 miles or the full monty marathon, it always seems to take me 10 minutes or so to get into the a relaxed rythym and pace myself. I suspect you are just getting used to it. Welcome to the club!

It takes me a good 20-30 minutes to get up to speed and relax into my rhythm.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
What's everyone's thoughts on using gels for the race?

Also painkillers before and during a good idea? My ankles and knees start killing me after 10 miles.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I'll be using gels.

Though you really should have been using them on some of your long runs to see whether they agree with your stomach.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'll be using gels.

Though you really should have been using them on some of your long runs to see whether they agree with your stomach.

I've got an 8 and 4 mile run left should I use them on these?

To be fair I struggle with my stomach at the best of times, twice now I've had to have an alfresco shit during long runs.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I've got an 8 and 4 mile run left should I use them on these?

To be fair I struggle with my stomach at the best of times, twice now I've had to have an alfresco shit during long runs.

Those runs probably aren't long enough. My only suggestion is to do the 8 miler first thing on the morning without breakfast, and to have a gel as you start running to see what effect that has.

I've had your long run problems in the past, and have found that not running until at least 2 hours after eating usually helps, though in the marathon there will be portaloos around the course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here