Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Oh god, I was hoping I would only have to hit 20 once before the race! Did it last Sunday and only running again for the first time today because of the damage it caused. Maybe I could try one more this weekend. Going for a nice 10 today just to make sure everything is still working. Am stopping with the booze from after next weekend onwards I think, have noticed what a difference that makes as been drinking far less in last couple of months.

Richy-dont panic!!

Its more important to get the distance in than to do it at pace on the long ones. Your mid weeks runs are the ones to work on for pace (Fartlek etc).

Sounds like you overdid it last w/e if only running for 1st time today! Do your 10 today at gentle pace, see if you can get a speedy 5 in on say Thursday then SLOW with your 20 next w/e. Then next week similar.

You clearly have a sub 4 in you with that run the other week, its just a case of getting your training right.

Let us know how you get on!

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Plenty of good running above.

My training has become a shambles over the last few weeks

I did 20 miles on the 23rd Feb and felt good - then, I missed a long run because I was tired and then crashed & burned on the 9th March going for another 20 miler. I did one of my shoes up too tight and at about 11miles got terrible ankle pain meaning I only completed 17 miles.

Then, I was feeling under the weather and missed another long run - tiredness has really been a problem this year.

I'm going to try 20 miles this week and then hopefully a 22 next week and that will be that apart from a few shorter tempo runs.

I've really struggled this year for some reason - much worse than my previous 2 brighton marathons. I think this will be it for me at marathons. I quite enjoy running 1-2hrs but anything over that and I just find it too tough!

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Well done LB. Well on target for your sub-4 marathon.

Thanks HT. We have been out of those special bacon crisps for the last couple of weeks so I had to make do with nacho's. I have to report, not quite the same!

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Richy-dont panic!!

Its more important to get the distance in than to do it at pace on the long ones. Your mid weeks runs are the ones to work on for pace (Fartlek etc).

Sounds like you overdid it last w/e if only running for 1st time today! Do your 10 today at gentle pace, see if you can get a speedy 5 in on say Thursday then SLOW with your 20 next w/e. Then next week similar.

You clearly have a sub 4 in you with that run the other week, its just a case of getting your training right.

Let us know how you get on!

To be fair it wasn't just the 20 miler, also had a wisdom tooth out and a bout of man flu in the week but think I was just blaming it all on the run! Did quite a hilly 12 and a half yesterday in 1:45 and felt pretty good so got a bit of confidence back. Am away this w/e so will have to try and plan a slow 20 miler during week some point next week. My main concern is whether my legs have it in them to do an extra 6 on top at anything faster than a very slow hobble....

Last edited:

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Another good time on that 12.5 yesterday Richy!

Reckon, like Lord Bamber, you might be very pleasantly surprised on the day! My second marathon was last October (Abingdon). Was bang on race pace until mile 22. Wheels came off but still only reduced by prob 30 secs per mile. The reason....only prepared for 6.5 weeks as opposed to the 16 you should really be doing if you want to give it the best shot. Its for those last 5-6 miles that you do all the training, and when the race really only starts for most decent runners.

Without wanting you to overdo it, if you try running on the day at say 3:55 pace (do a few mid week training runs at that pace to make sure comfortable), that will give you a good chance of getting under 4 if you do struggle in last 4 or 5 miles. Also, you do need to allow a bit for pees and the fact you always run more than marathon distance (normally 0.1-0.2m over) as the course is measured assuming the perfect line.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Did my 10k. last Saturday a shade under 65 minutes, and as it was raining, the medical and contact info written in ink on the inside of my runner's number bled over the front of my lovely cotton '78 replica BHA shirt :cry: It has been Vanished and is now being Oxi'ed, in the hope it can be saved :rolleyes:

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Anyone doing the Cranleigh 21 or have done it before? Whats it like?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I'm doing my first ever 1/2 marathon at Hastings on Sunday, excited and nervous all at the same time.

I go through periods of calm knowing that I have stuck to my training plan from runners world, but then I look at the route and the climb from 3.5 miles and I wonder just how I'll do it.

I have been on pasta or rice all week so really looking forward to a proper meal on Sunday with a few pints..... assuming I don't sleep through it and I can actually walk.....

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I'm doing my first ever 1/2 marathon at Hastings on Sunday, excited and nervous all at the same time.

I go through periods of calm knowing that I have stuck to my training plan from runners world, but then I look at the route and the climb from 3.5 miles and I wonder just how I'll do it.

I have been on pasta or rice all week so really looking forward to a proper meal on Sunday with a few pints..... assuming I don't sleep through it and I can actually walk.....
Enjoy the pints! I should have been doing the EnduranceLife half at Eastbourne tomorrow but have been struggling the last two weeks with an injury so will put this one off. Always another day.

Good news is I can still have the pints!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone know of any good half marathons taking place in JUNE or around that time (the Seaford half is out as have a good mates 30th on the 2nd)?

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven

Good luck PP, hope all goes well. Post how you do.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Running the Brighton Marathon soon, for the first time. I'm unsure as to whether get the train over (from Worthing) or use the park and ride. What does everyone recommend? My main concern with the train, is the walk back to the station afterwards could be a real struggle!

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
I'm doing 10k in may then hopefully london marathon for the very first time next year :)

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
10 1/2 miles of fell running for me yesterday in the Lakes. I so glad the Brighton marathon is flat as some of those fells are a killer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here