Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Ran a 20 mile leg for my running Club Fenland A/C of the Round Norfolk Relay in the early hours of Sunday morning through the forests of The wolds. Had calf spasms at 13 miles and real problems in the last 2 miles. Came in 2hr 20min, slower than I wanted but more important to get the baton round and passed it onto my club mate Martin. It's one of the longest Relay races in the country. 200 miles split into 17 leg, starting and finishing in Kings Lynn.

Blimey! Hardly like a 4x400 metres. There must be a lot of long distance runners in Norfolk (I was going to write 'nutters'). Actually sounds great for the seriously fit. But did your club win?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ran a 20 mile leg for my running Club Fenland A/C of the Round Norfolk Relay in the early hours of Sunday morning through the forests of The wolds. Had calf spasms at 13 miles and real problems in the last 2 miles. Came in 2hr 20min, slower than I wanted but more important to get the baton round and passed it onto my club mate Martin. It's one of the longest Relay races in the country. 200 miles split into 17 leg, starting and finishing in Kings Lynn.
Sounds like a great event, seriously good time for 20m particularly with your issues.

We've got the SDW Relay down here, 100 miles Beachy Head to Winchester in teams of 6, split into 18 legs with each runner doing 3 legs. Legs are 3-9 miles. Harder than it sounds as running 3 times in a day, with a 3-4 hour gap can be horrible! About 50 teams usually enter, first Saturday in June....

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Blimey! Hardly like a 4x400 metres. There must be a lot of long distance runners in Norfolk (I was going to write 'nutters'). Actually sounds great for the seriously fit. But did your club win?

60 clubs take part, mainly from Norfolk but slots are available for national running clubs. We enter the mixed category which has to have 8 ladies at least. We usually win that and come in the top 10 for the overall classification. Big city clubs usually win and we rarely put out our fastest team possible as thier would only be a couple of ladies.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Sounds like a great event, seriously good time for 20m particularly with your issues.

We've got the SDW Relay down here, 100 miles Beachy Head to Winchester in teams of 6, split into 18 legs with each runner doing 3 legs. Legs are 3-9 miles. Harder than it sounds as running 3 times in a day, with a 3-4 hour gap can be horrible! About 50 teams usually enter, first Saturday in June....

Thanks will look into this! Is there a base for camping etc?

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Morning all. The Martlets Hospice are arranging a family friendly 5k charity running event on Sunday 6th November at Hove Park. I have said that I will help spread the word. Its all part of the major snow dog fund raising events for the Hospice.

All details can be found at

https://www.themartlets.org.uk/Event/snowdog-dash

If people could share the link the word (and the link) on social media that would be great.

Cheers
Mark R

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I have got a quick question for the experienced runners on here. I am doing a half marathon trail run on Sunday trying to build up to Marathon distance towards the end of the year/ beginning of the next. My training schedule has me doing a tempo run tomorrow 48 hours before the race. Does this seem right? I know for a marathon you tend to taper and do very little in the few days before the event, should it be the same for a half marathon?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I have got a quick question for the experienced runners on here. I am doing a half marathon trail run on Sunday trying to build up to Marathon distance towards the end of the year/ beginning of the next. My training schedule has me doing a tempo run tomorrow 48 hours before the race. Does this seem right? I know for a marathon you tend to taper and do very little in the few days before the event, should it be the same for a half marathon?

Not for me. Maybe one mile tempo but that would be it. What distance is stated?

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Barns Green 1/2 marathon on Sunday. Who's there. I'm hoping for a sub 1:50 but need to pace it correctly and have a few aches from the Tough Mudder in Horsham last weekend. Good luck all - I will probably wear something Albion related.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Barns Green 1/2 marathon on Sunday. Who's there. I'm hoping for a sub 1:50 but need to pace it correctly and have a few aches from the Tough Mudder in Horsham last weekend. Good luck all - I will probably wear something Albion related.

Think there are a few on here going along on Sunday me included. NSC numbers have been depleted due to most being in their forties( see other thread ). I'll look out for you at the start but good luck if I don't see you and to other nsc runners

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Nope, too close if you're hoping to race it. Easy 30-40 mins two days before with maybe a few 30-60 second pickups, rest or v easy 30 mins the day before I would think

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Nope, too close if you're hoping to race it. Easy 30-40 mins two days before with maybe a few 30-60 second pickups, rest or v easy 30 mins the day before I would think

Thanks for the advice, I thought this would be the case. I did quite a hard run last weekend as well and my legs felt heavy when I ran on Tuesday.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks for the advice, I thought this would be the case. I did quite a hard run last weekend as well and my legs felt heavy when I ran on Tuesday.

Just to caveat I'm not a qualified coach or anything, but I know there is no way my coach would be recommending a hard session 2 days out from a race effort. Bit of gentle leg spinning, nothing more.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I made my track debut last night at Withdean, did a KM reps session and then did a 17 miler this morning, including running past the Amex at 11:30 when Glenn Murray was heading in. Quick blast of "he goes by the name..." and off I went. I'll run a parkrun course tomorrow, probably aim to do it in 23-24 mins. Been a heavy week.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Ran Barns Green half today. I know many on here have run this before but was my first time and really impressed. It's such a great event and a real surprise to find a race of that scale going on around a tiny West Sussex village. Really well organised and supported with a great course which has a bit of everything thrown in. The college hospital was unexpected, and 4 or 5 bands kept up the noise levels which all made a great atmosphere. I had a good morning and went round just under 1:35.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Ran Barns Green half today. I know many on here have run this before but was my first time and really impressed. It's such a great event and a real surprise to find a race of that scale going on around a tiny West Sussex village. Really well organised and supported with a great course which has a bit of everything thrown in. The college hospital was unexpected, and 4 or 5 bands kept up the noise levels which all made a great atmosphere. I had a good morning and went round just under 1:35.

Great run - well done. You are edging towards the magical 1:30.something I missed by 1 minute in around 1990 and never returned to!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Fantastic time, great stuff !

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I completed my first trail half marathon today in 2 hours 2min. The course was fantastic with lots of quite technical elements running through the woods and over stiles so I am pleased with time particularly as I had a injury and a family holiday interrupt my training. I also had a strange thing happen to me which was cramp in my toes with a miles to go! They kept curling up of their own accord...I didn't even know this was possible!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here