Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Not much activity on the thread today - maybe reflecting the fact that most of us are crocked. Worthing Parkrun for me: dipped under 22 for the first time for a few weeks. On this course that's usually good enough for an age category (very old git) win. But not today: some b*stard turned up and knocked off a sub 19. Grudging respect - but he can go back to where he came from!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Not much activity on the thread today - maybe reflecting the fact that most of us are crocked. Worthing Parkrun for me: dipped under 22 for the first time for a few weeks. On this course that's usually good enough for an age category (very old git) win. But not today: some b*stard turned up and knocked off a sub 19. Grudging respect - but he can go back to where he came from!

Does seem very quiet. NSC runners dwindled to less than a scratch eleven.
Eastbourne park run for me today. 20:50 official time and 2nd in age group like you. There's always some b stard quicker... planning a 10 miler tomorrow then nothing till barns green next Sunday.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well I am hobbling along at 20-30mpw at the moment as the knee starts to strengthen/improve. No quality sessions, just steady miles. Frustrating as hell. Grrrrrr.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I ran a 21:20 Hove Park prakrun this morning ahead of the Hove Prom 10k tomorrow, this is the race I set my 10k PB in last year - 42:07. Sub 43 is my hope for tomorrow, I've run hard for the last few days for a total of 30 miles but including some hench hills like Coldean Lane and Bear Road.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
No running for 3 weeks for me. Arthritis in back left after 4 days blissfully relaxing on Valium, still in middle toe though. Hobbling painfully around the Pyrenees so retaining some muscle. Visited Lourdes to escape 3 days rain in the mountains. Thought Jesus could be my saviour. Not as good as the real one though. No improvement in foot and have had the sh*ts for 3 days.....

Good luck for Barnes Green and Hove 10k runners.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I did the Crawley (sorry, "London South") Tough Mudder half yesterday, Much preferred it to the full one I did in March as it had more of the fun obstacles and none of the silly ice water / electric shock ones.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
No running for 3 weeks for me. Arthritis in back left after 4 days blissfully relaxing on Valium, still in middle toe though. Hobbling painfully around the Pyrenees so retaining some muscle. Visited Lourdes to escape 3 days rain in the mountains. Thought Jesus could be my saviour. Not as good as the real one though. No improvement in foot and have had the sh*ts for 3 days.....

Sounds a bit grim. At least you won't be piling on any weight!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Ouch. I prescribe French red wine. It won't heal your toe but you'll feel better.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
20 miler this morning and now the taper starts.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I ran the Hove Prom 10k this morning in 42:56, I felt pretty strong throughout and managed to find my quickest KM at the end, but even then it was only a 3:58. I effectively ran the same pace today over 10k as I ran in the parkrun yesterday, 21:20 yesterday and just 16 seconds short of replicating that over the 10k. It was a good effort, but I was never really in contention for a PB but it was a good race in perfect conditions.

On to next weeks running now!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I ran the Hove Prom 10k this morning in 42:56, I felt pretty strong throughout and managed to find my quickest KM at the end, but even then it was only a 3:58. I effectively ran the same pace today over 10k as I ran in the parkrun yesterday, 21:20 yesterday and just 16 seconds short of replicating that over the 10k. It was a good effort, but I was never really in contention for a PB but it was a good race in perfect conditions.

On to next weeks running now!

Nice one! Suspect you could now be hunting a PB in your 5K.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Gutted because I paced a mate around Hove Park yesterday to sub-23 PB and he's come up as an unknown (hopefully it can be fixed).

Took to the hills early doors this morning for 16 tough miles. River Adur – Devils Dyke – Hove Park – back along OSR/USR to Shoreham-by-Sea. Scary to think that Beachy is another 10 on top of that in just over a month!

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1367639928

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Reigate half for me today, have barely averaged a run a week for the last two months for family reasons but managed to squeeze out a 1:45 which is what I was going for so happy with that. One day I have to break 1:40, just not sure I've got the will power in me to train to hit that level! It's a great event though and in particular the kids mile after the half was incredible, my two absolutely loved it, got a great medal, a t shirt and a goody bag as well. Fantastic event.

https://www.strava.com/activities/716300863

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Seeing this thread on NSC has reminded me to strap 5kg of weights to my leg, sit on the dining room table and do leg lift things. I'd completely forgotten.

I do wonder if he really meant 5kg or 5lb though. 5kg feels like a lot.

Also, when he said 3 sets of 20 reps, did he mean in one go or spaced out throughout the day?

Sorry, I'm just thinking out loud. I'll be back when I've worked my leg.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Nice one! Suspect you could now be hunting a PB in your 5K.

My quickest is 19:42, Preston Park parkrun. I'm training for a marathon for now, but I'm definitely hoping to hit a 5k PB this year. Probably December will be aim.
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] - personally, I would suggest doing them at different times in the day if you can, or mix it up and do leave a couple of minutes between each set.

I try and do some leg stretching exercises before I go to sleep, and when I wake up in the morning to help the ligaments in my knees stretch fully down the leg. It helps my tendonitis.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Seeing this thread on NSC has reminded me to strap 5kg of weights to my leg, sit on the dining room table and do leg lift things. I'd completely forgotten.

I do wonder if he really meant 5kg or 5lb though. 5kg feels like a lot.

Also, when he said 3 sets of 20 reps, did he mean in one go or spaced out throughout the day?

Sorry, I'm just thinking out loud. I'll be back when I've worked my leg.

3 sets of 20 reps means in one go but with a short breather in between each 20.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
3 sets of 20 reps means in one go but with a short breather in between each 20.

Yes, I'm aware of that!

The sports physio chap probably didn't say those words literally, which is why I'm now feeling unsure. I have been doing the classic 3 sets as you describe however as I'm able to and it doesn't seem to hurt.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Ran a 20 mile leg for my running Club Fenland A/C of the Round Norfolk Relay in the early hours of Sunday morning through the forests of The wolds. Had calf spasms at 13 miles and real problems in the last 2 miles. Came in 2hr 20min, slower than I wanted but more important to get the baton round and passed it onto my club mate Martin. It's one of the longest Relay races in the country. 200 miles split into 17 leg, starting and finishing in Kings Lynn.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here