Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Not really too tough.....pretty good underfoot and all the hills are runnable. I know several people who have their 1/2 PB from there. Nice friendly race.

My favourite event, gutted I won't be doing it this year. I wouldn't describe it as undulating more just all up hill.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Christened the new Asics FujiTrabuco 4s in up and down the riverbank this morning. Lovely comfortable shoe and a nice route. Anyone else run faster off-road than on and is that normal? Without gunning it today – apart from at the end – I was faster compared with a similar run on the concrete. Or was it just one of those days?

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1357982884

Im not sure I run faster but I perform much better off road relative to others. I've done a number of long off roaders and tend to finish further up the order than I do on the road.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Never done Barnes Green but I've heard it's quite tough (undulating). What's your target time? (Weather due to get cooler over weekend.)

I'll be going for sub 1:40, though I might try and stay with the 90 minute pacer. It is definitely the most challenging course I've done.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'll be going for sub 1:40, though I might try and stay with the 90 minute pacer. It is definitely the most challenging course I've done.
The Sussex Trail Events '13 The Hard Way' a couple of weeks ago might challenge it.....up the Tank Tracks from Clayton, over Black Cap, down the the A27 and then back 😂😂

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
The Sussex Trail Events '13 The Hard Way' a couple of weeks ago might challenge it.....up the Tank Tracks from Clayton, over Black Cap, down the the A27 and then back ����

I like flat - flat is good :thumbsup:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
12.5 miles was too far to run in this morning's heat - but I did it anyway. Now I can taper down ahead of the Barns Green Half Marathon... lets hope the weather deteriorates a bit before then!!

I think I'm going to have to concede defeat in my quest to get fit for the Barns Green half. I could manage the 10k if anyone wants to swap? But 13.1 miles would see me back on the treatment table and that's something I badly want to avoid.

Hopefully I'm fully mended by the Bright 10 although my time won't be anything too cocky.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
I think I'm going to have to concede defeat in my quest to get fit for the Barns Green half. I could manage the 10k if anyone wants to swap? But 13.1 miles would see me back on the treatment table and that's something I badly want to avoid.

Hopefully I'm fully mended by the Bright 10 although my time won't be anything too cocky.

That is a shame for you, but these things happen and at least you know when to back off!

Funnily enough, my number and chip for Barns Green arrived this morning.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The coach I got through Dazzer recommended I do Barnes Green Half but it'll have to wait till next year. 13 yards would be a push right now. At least I'm mostly pain free today but movement is still restricted. Have second visit to physio tomorrow so hopefully get some idea of my Bright10 prospects from that. My own view is I'm only 50/50 for the race and sub 80 is out of the window.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
That is a shame for you, but these things happen and at least you know when to back off!

Funnily enough, my number and chip for Barns Green arrived this morning.

Very disappointed to be missing out as I've never entered this before and I do like the hilly more scenic courses.

Good luck with your time, sounds like you're in reasonable form and tapering down nicely.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I have a spare for the Robin Hood Half in Nottingham if anyone wants it.

Struggling at present to get beyond 15 and have Dublin marathon in six weeks, so need to fully focus on long slow longer runs between then and now.

Race is Sunday week, lovely course through the city starting by the Trent.

Just PM me and I'll send out the race number etc through the post.

Sent from your mum using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Went to see Paul at Corals in Hove today and it's all quite positive.

He thinks it's a tendon around my knee and will be due to the ACL reconstruction I had some years ago. He illustrated the different muscle tone I have immediately above the knee in my 'good' leg and my 'bad' leg. The leg I have the problem with currently is the same one I had ACL reconstruction on.

He's given me some exercises to do which he is hopeful will help strengthen my left leg and should allow me to get back to running in a few weeks. He's also happy for me to take my bike out in the interim, although to be conscious of how I use my left leg, particularly when pushing uphill.

Thanks for the recommendation [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] and others. Paul is a really nice chap and we had a good chinwag about the Albion too.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Went to see Paul at Corals in Hove today and it's all quite positive.

He thinks it's a tendon around my knee and will be due to the ACL reconstruction I had some years ago. He illustrated the different muscle tone I have immediately above the knee in my 'good' leg and my 'bad' leg. The leg I have the problem with currently is the same one I had ACL reconstruction on.

He's given me some exercises to do which he is hopeful will help strengthen my left leg and should allow me to get back to running in a few weeks. He's also happy for me to take my bike out in the interim, although to be conscious of how I use my left leg, particularly when pushing uphill.

Thanks for the recommendation [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] and others. Paul is a really nice chap and we had a good chinwag about the Albion too.

Progress! Should lift the spirits.................

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Very disappointed to be missing out as I've never entered this before and I do like the hilly more scenic courses.

Good luck with your time, sounds like you're in reasonable form and tapering down nicely.

You might still be able to swap your entry to the 10k officially. There was a note of their facebook page today to email the event secretary asap if you wanted to do so, as they have a strict limit on the 10k numbers:

https://m.facebook.com/home.php#!/story.php?story_fbid=1089818791072846&id=183119638409437

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Rather a long shot, but is anyone else running the Disneyland Paris half marathon? I'm looking forward to running it but since becoming a father I've not run more than 10K and my pace is a hell of a lot slower than I'd like...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Rather a long shot, but is anyone else running the Disneyland Paris half marathon? I'm looking forward to running it but since becoming a father I've not run more than 10K and my pace is a hell of a lot slower than I'd like...

As a massive Disney fan, I look at all the Run Disney events in WDW and Disneyland with huge amounts of envy. I'd love to do the Dopey Challenge one day (5k, 10k, half and marathon on consecutive days). I had thought about the DLP half when I heard they were finally holding the first Run Disney event there, but missed applications.

As it is, with my injury, I doubt I'd be able to do it anyway.

So, no, but enjoy it and report back please!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Blimey – sounds like the injury bench is almost as busy as the Albion's was last season during that dodgy period! Hope you all make full recoveries sooner rather than later.

Went on a bit of a voyage into the unknown yesterday morning with a run into my old Uni town of Coventry. Didn't know the starting point, so decided to keep it relatively simple until I knew where I was and passed by some familiar sights of 20 years ago including Carlsberg STILL £2.50 a pint in one of the boozers we used to go in. Bang on Brigh10 pace too, which was a bonus...

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1362849024

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Blimey – sounds like the injury bench is almost as busy as the Albion's was last season during that dodgy period! Hope you all make full recoveries sooner rather than later.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1362849024
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] was very slow around the Swan on Tuesday. I nearly stepped in and intercepted his cheesy chips delivery at one point, but that would have been nasty! I hope no harm to your injury was caused when we scored.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] was very slow around the Swan on Tuesday. I nearly stepped in and intercepted his cheesy chips delivery at one point, but that would have been nasty! I hope no harm to your injury was caused when we scored.

Only lasted to half time. Bending my knee that much was agony and I couldn't stand up when everyone in front of me did.

Back to Radius this morning where I can now pull my heel back until my leg is at an angle of 110 degrees. Was 80 last week and normal is 130 ish. Got a new set of stretches and now pain free but still with very restricted movement. Don't techncally have to go back but I may well do so for one final strengthening session and some running advice. If I've got no chance of making Bright10 I'd rather pass my bib on early doors. However, am still thinking I might be able to peak up to it rather than taper down to it. Physio was impressed with progress in a week. I didn't tell him about the beer, cheesy chips and stair mountain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here