Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Off for a quick 10 mile jaunt over to Worthing to pick the car up- hopefully run off some of the disappointment of that late goal last night. Pleasing park run yesterday (20:38) with I suspect a pb AGR of 71.49% - there are some advantages of getting older!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well done [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] and [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] on your achievements. Fantastic on both counts.

Worthing parkrun was good yesterday. Nice, simple course and well organised. The end was a bit tight - no space for a trademark sprint finish.

I quite like this 'parkrun tourist' thing. Off to PP in a couple of weeks to support a mate running in full military kit. Nothing beats HP course though...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A steady but slow 13 miler around the city this morning. Very enjoyable.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Off for a quick 10 mile jaunt over to Worthing to pick the car up- hopefully run off some of the disappointment of that late goal last night. Pleasing park run yesterday (20:38) with I suspect a pb AGR of 71.49% - there are some advantages of getting older!

Impressive finishing pace at 5:32 a mile. Bit of a concern for my plans to sneak up on you in 4 weeks time.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks everyone.........pleased to have finished. Conditions were brutal yesterday (if it wasn't hard enough already), high humidity and just no air at all. Had to modify my targets so as a result was a bit slower than I'd hoped but it was a question of balancing gunning for the time and finishing, and for me the latter was more important after last year. After the heat of the day, visibility was down to about 6 feet on Firle Beacon at 3am this morning. Really pleased with how I managed the race and kept myself 'stable'. I drank at least 13 litres of water......there was a fair amount of carnage on the course with dropouts starting quite early as people overheated.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Thanks everyone.........pleased to have finished. Conditions were brutal yesterday (if it wasn't hard enough already), high humidity and just no air at all. Had to modify my targets so as a result was a bit slower than I'd hoped but it was a question of balancing gunning for the time and finishing, and for me the latter was more important after last year. After the heat of the day, visibility was down to about 6 feet on Firle Beacon at 3am this morning. Really pleased with how I managed the race and kept myself 'stable'. I drank at least 13 litres of water......there was a fair amount of carnage on the course with dropouts starting quite early as people overheated.

Legendary performance, what an effort.

I can't imagine what it would be like to run 100 miles, I'm intrigued and it's something I might look into within the next 5-10 years.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Is it the 22nd or 29th June? Either date I should be fine, I won't be at my best but I'll be around the 21 minute mark based on this weeks runs.

Yes 22nd. The Weakest Link. Shall we do a roll call. [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION]. If anyone can't make it we have Mr Banana as first reserve fresh from his 20:34 Hove Parkrun pb yesterday.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Yes 22nd. The Weakest Link. Shall we do a roll call. [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION]. If anyone can't make it we have Mr Banana as first reserve fresh from his 20:34 Hove Parkrun pb yesterday.

Yes I'm still good for this. Am I ok to take the Kris Akubusi role with my tight hamstring? Who's going to be Black, Redmond & Regis?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Do we have to sign up for this anywhere or is it a join on the night kind of affair?

I'm not concerned which leg I run, I'll be ready!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yes I'm still good for this. Am I ok to take the Kris Akubusi role with my tight hamstring? Who's going to be Black, Redmond & Regis?

Do we have to sign up for this anywhere or is it a join on the night kind of affair?

I'm not concerned which leg I run, I'll be ready!

http://brightonsports.co.uk/the-weakest-link-relay-run £8 a team pay on the night.

I suggest Bobkin to be Roger Black, me to be Phil Redmond and Ninj and Nuts to decide on being Regis or Akubussi.

Copied this to show how we won the World Championship Gold in 1991 but that tactical change is probably no good for weakest link.

The British team made a tactical change, switching their top runner Roger Black, expected to be the anchor leg runner, to the first leg. The move paid off. Black ran a 44.6 first leg, catching Andrew Valmon before the handoff. giving Derek Redmond the edge to beat Quincy Watts to the break. Both Watts and Redmond would become famous the following year, Watts for winning the Olympic gold medal in the 400 metres and Redmond for his determination, finishing his semi-final race in that same event with a torn hamstring, assisted by his father. Watts ran a 44.1 leg to catch Redmond, but it could have been faster because Watts had to pass Redmond on the outside of the turn due to the British team's superior position. Danny Everett was not able to put any distance on John Regis, even having to fend off a challenge on the final straightaway, so going into the final leg, the USA held only a small lead. Kriss Akabusi, running the anchor leg paced off of the individual 400m Champion, Antonio Pettigrew, then dramatically overtook him on the home straight to win. The USA team were so shocked by the result, that even on the medal podium, they were still in disbelief at the result. Indeed, television footage immediately after the race, showed Pettigrew stood, hands on hips, shaking his head at the outcome of the race.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I'll be there. Not as quick as you lot, but I'll give it a go...

First run of 10 miles or more since VLM last night. Was a bit of a struggle, but pretty happy with the pace. Happy to hear some tunes from Wildlife along the way.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1210536983

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Felt weird not doing a long run yesterday but a wise woman told me during marathon training "listen to your body". Mine was shouting at me for making it play football again. Out on Tuesday instead now, hopefully.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just went out to play in the wind. Ran a wind assisted 18:30 5K with 7 recovery jogs with watch switched off. Great fun. Heels kicking up towards the jacksi like a proper runner. I'm ready for the Russians.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just went out to play in the wind. Ran a wind assisted 18:30 5K with 7 recovery jogs with watch switched off. Great fun. Heels kicking up towards the jacksi like a proper runner. I'm ready for the Russians.

Blimey! That's a bit rapid. Nice work knocky.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

My eyes almost popped out when I saw that on Strava! I take it it was a series of sprint intervals..? you must have been knackered at the end!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
My eyes almost popped out when I saw that on Strava! I take it it was a series of sprint intervals..? you must have been knackered at the end!

Strong wind assisted intervals. OK afterwards but taking it easy till Saturday. My ultimate aim for a final non wind assisted sub 20 5k later this summer is possibly just seconds beyond my reach. We shall see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here