Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Trivial fact from me for the day. If I were a crow, Hove Prom edges it by yards. Due to the zig zag route to Hove Park the Prom wins by a good 400m.

So I play away most weekends.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Trivial fact from me for the day. If I were a crow, Hove Prom edges it by yards. Due to the zig zag route to Hove Park the Prom wins by a good 400m.

So I play away most weekends.

Never mind your Age Grade target, if you WERE a crow, you'd easily have the course PB. Not even [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] would be able to beat you.

Mind you, it'd be a bit of a struggle trying to juggle your barcode and position tag at the end... :lol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Warm out there tonight, probably too warm for hills but hey ho, glad I got out again. 4 and a half slow miles

I really enjoyed the warmth yesterday evening. I went out around 6:15, timing my run to arrive at my son's Beavers Investiture at 7pm. The only problem with this plan was I was then absolutely melting in a very warm scout hut.

Great news that there'll be a Worthing Park Run finally. I might break my "never having run with anyone else" cherry on Saturday morning!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I really enjoyed the warmth yesterday evening. I went out around 6:15, timing my run to arrive at my son's Beavers Investiture at 7pm. The only problem with this plan was I was then absolutely melting in a very warm scout hut.

Great news that there'll be a Worthing Park Run finally. I might break my "never having run with anyone else" cherry on Saturday morning!

Do it. I'm certain you will be somewhere between pleasantly surprised to amazed as to how much running competitively will give you. Expect to run 10-20% quicker if conditions are decent.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Do it. I'm certain you will be somewhere between pleasantly surprised to amazed as to how much running competitively will give you. Expect to run 10-20% quicker if conditions are decent.

Maybe under normal training conditions.

Right now I've exercised for 16 days straight - mixture of running and riding and intend to keep it going for another 64 days. At the moment, it's just about getting out. Looking for good times will have to wait until the Autumn!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Right now I've exercised for 16 days straight - mixture of running and riding and intend to keep it going for another 64 days. At the moment, it's just about getting out. Looking for good times will have to wait until the Autumn!

Littlehampton 10k Sunday September 11th and Arena 80 10k Sunday September 18th. 3 full months of prep, and will keep you focussed during training.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

That's the way. Same for me. I'm getting stuck into training in the week and that is going to take it out of me for Saturdays. This one in particular as scheduled to do 12x50 second hills at 10k pace tomorrow. The benefit will be reaped at the end of July, hopefully.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

The beauty of parkrun (for me, anyway) nowadays is that I don't get too hung up on times – it's much more about the social aspect. Most of the time I get swept along by others, or am looking for an NSCer to hang on to, but if that doesn't happen, I just kick back and enjoy it. You should head down, [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] – haven't checked the weather forecast for Saturday, but hopefully it will be perfect running conditions. I reckon that, in time, Worthing parkrun will be bigger (although not better!) than Hove Park.

That's the way. Same for me. I'm getting stuck into training in the week and that is going to take it out of me for Saturdays. This one in particular as scheduled to do 12x50 second hills at 10k pace tomorrow. The benefit will be reaped at the end of July, hopefully.

You'd be surprised. My parkrun PB came a couple of days after a pretty brutal session of hills tackled at speed.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You'd be surprised. My parkrun PB came a couple of days after a pretty brutal session of hills tackled at speed.

I'm adhering to my master 10k plan for the Phoenix. Saturday is a Tempo run and will be 30 seconds to a minute outside best effort. Plus,as I often repeat on here :yawn:my 5k PB from when Princess Diana was still alive will never be revisited.:yawn::yawn::bla::yawn::yawn:

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

Go on, get down there and break that cherry Bozza! You know it makes sense.

I'll be there taking it easy, still got my shin splint so laying of the racing flats for a while, or until Phoenix.. Then its Coffee and breakfast at Coast Café with the family after..

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Get yourself over to Russia Knocky... I'm sure they'll sort your PB out.

Only if they have a rejuvenation drug or bionic leg replacements. Mere PEDs would have to be incredibly strong to knock 15% off and my heart would probably stop from the effort.

This is what is happening to all of us

Age Target HR Zone 50-85% Average Maximum Heart Rate, 100%
20 years 100-170 beats per minute 200 beats per minute
30 years 95-162 beats per minute 190 beats per minute
35 years 93-157 beats per minute 185 beats per minute
40 years 90-153 beats per minute 180 beats per minute
45 years 88-149 beats per minute 175 beats per minute
50 years 85-145 beats per minute 170 beats per minute
55 years 83-140 beats per minute 165 beats per minute
60 years 80-136 beats per minute 160 beats per minute
65 years 78-132 beats per minute 155 beats per minute
70 years 75-128 beats per minute 150

As Cilla sung "Anyone who has a heart, give it to me"

Last edited:

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
FYI if anyone is in the market for a Garmin I might be selling my Forerunner 235 in the next week or so - really don't use all the bells and whistles over my old phone app so moving it on. PM me if interested else I'll sling it on eBay.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Go on, get down there and break that cherry Bozza! You know it makes sense.

I'll be there taking it easy, still got my shin splint so laying of the racing flats for a while, or until Phoenix.. Then its Coffee and breakfast at Coast Café with the family after..

I've seen your times. Your "easy" is my "impossible".
[MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION] has just suggested we head out on Friday night, which would write off any early Saturday morning exertions!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Worthing 10k was hot hot hot but managed a new PB @ 53.28 so 60 seconds inside my previous PB at Horsham a few weeks ago! Delighted with that! Even quite like one of the free official pictures :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/599995866

Worthing 10k.jpg

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Had my first visit to the Physio Rooms this evening, as expected hamstring is particularly tight, so no football for a while and no speed work.

That rules me out of Park Run this week and most probably next. Physio said it could take 6/8 weeks before it's fully healed, but I can run short slower paced runs, so that will be me until just before Phoenix, where I'll try and ramp up training to get close to the elusive sub 40 10k.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Had my first visit to the Physio Rooms this evening, as expected hamstring is particularly tight, so no football for a while and no speed work.

That rules me out of Park Run this week and most probably next. Physio said it could take 6/8 weeks before it's fully healed, but I can run short slower paced runs, so that will be me until just before Phoenix, where I'll try and ramp up training to get close to the elusive sub 40 10k.

Good luck with that. Never had a problem with a hamstring unlike every other muscle, tendon and ligament.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Worthing 10k was hot hot hot but managed a new PB @ 53.28 so 60 seconds inside my previous PB at Horsham a few weeks ago! Delighted with that! Even quite like one of the free official pictures :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/599995866

View attachment 75535

Awesome - especially in the heat!

I made an 'old git tactical error' yesterday evening. Went out for a very slow recovery run with Mrs GNT. Saw two (much) younger guys bombing up and down a very steep path so just had to chase them. Showed them a clean pair of heels (pointless but good for the ego) but in the process might have buggered up my recovery from the Worthing 10K . Now might miss the inaugural Worthing parkrun - an event I've been waiting about 7 years for..........................

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
The runners and riders are up on the Live timing feed for the Centurion SDW100 with our own [MENTION=21215]dazzer666[/MENTION] in there somewhere..

Jealous!

http://www.centurionrunning.com/live/2016-sdw100-live/

Good Luck Dazzer.. Don't succumb to cup cakes at Saddlescombe! (maybe just one!) and smash through that 70mile mark!

The Pembury tribe will be around Washington/Chanctonbury Ring area somewhere giving you all support..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here