Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No long run on Sunday for me, way too hungover after Boro and then had to do a football tournament all day. Went out this morning instead for 8 miles at aerobic threshold and a cool down.

I'm just going to leave these mile splits here...:) https://www.strava.com/activities/570259507

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
In an effort to get back in the groove I've treated myself to a new pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 16 from RUN in Worthing. I had the GTS 12 as my shoes before last and loved them. A little heavier but so comfortable.

Only problem is my wife is due to give birth soon so hopefully they don't collect dust!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Looking forward to 4x 1 mile intervals when the head clears.
Having a cysty boily thing cut out of my neck on Wednesday and the bumpf says no exercise for 2 weeks after. So will have to put some effort in up to Wednesday morning just in case that's true.

This is the training plan I will follow up to the Phoenix. Should carry on well from the marathon training. The Saturday tempo run will be Parkrun at around 21:00. Holding back for RACE day.
http://training4endurance.co.uk/running/10k-running-plans/10k-training-plan-moderate/

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
In an effort to get back in the groove I've treated myself to a new pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 16 from RUN in Worthing. I had the GTS 12 as my shoes before last and loved them. A little heavier but so comfortable.

Only problem is my wife is due to give birth soon so hopefully they don't collect dust!

Buggy running!

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Eventually back at the point where I can start to run again, not having run since mid-February due to what turned out to be a stress fracture of the fibula (also turned out that I'd probably been running on it for 3-4 weeks after the injury, as I'd assumed it was muscular/tendons rather than a bone injury). Missed both the Brighton half and the BM.

After a few short trials on the treadmill during the last couple of weeks I went out for the first time and ran a slow 4k in Preston Park last night - felt so good to be back pounding the paths again, although I struggled to keep the speed and distance down, which is what I apparently need to do during the early weeks back in training. Have resolved to be less hung up on speed, and to concentrate more on building my strength and flexibiilty, and improving my running form... we'll see.

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
Horsham 10k Sunday is nearly full.
Would be good to see a few of you there.
Good price, nice medal and friendly atmosphere :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Eventually back at the point where I can start to run again, not having run since mid-February due to what turned out to be a stress fracture of the fibula (also turned out that I'd probably been running on it for 3-4 weeks after the injury, as I'd assumed it was muscular/tendons rather than a bone injury). Missed both the Brighton half and the BM.

After a few short trials on the treadmill during the last couple of weeks I went out for the first time and ran a slow 4k in Preston Park last night - felt so good to be back pounding the paths again, although I struggled to keep the speed and distance down, which is what I apparently need to do during the early weeks back in training. Have resolved to be less hung up on speed, and to concentrate more on building my strength and flexibiilty, and improving my running form... we'll see.
Welcome back....

Running offroad will be much better for strength and conditioning. Hit the trails!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Was going to get out yesterday for a run on the hills, the first run or anything for that matter.. but was far too hung over from Saturday. Went out in the Kayak instead, which was my bit of core work done for the weekend!

Back on it today with a 5k hove park at a very steady pace. Always surprises me how a week off running rather than refreshes things, makes it double hard to get going again.. sore ankles, sore shins..

I'll get on my bike tonight but really need to get on a few hills or two to stretch things out.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Was going to get out yesterday for a run on the hills, the first run or anything for that matter.. but was far too hung over from Saturday. Went out in the Kayak instead, which was my bit of core work done for the weekend!

Back on it today with a 5k hove park at a very steady pace. Always surprises me how a week off running rather than refreshes things, makes it double hard to get going again.. sore ankles, sore shins..

I'll get on my bike tonight but really need to get on a few hills or two to stretch things out.

Seems like quite a few of us delayed a Sunday run. The hangover and heat were enough for me to bail out but I went out tonight to make up for it. I forgot to charge my watch so went out with the phone instead. It's funny how reliant I've now become on my garmin, I felt blind without it and really missed my mile beeps with pace display.
Heavy rain at mile 6 was perfectly timed.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Seems like quite a few of us delayed a Sunday run. The hangover and heat were enough for me to bail out but I went out tonight to make up for it. I forgot to charge my watch so went out with the phone instead. It's funny how reliant I've now become on my garmin, I felt blind without it and really missed my mile beeps with pace display.

You're all pretty wise. I got up a bit late Sunday but decided I'd still get my run in. Did about 22.5 miles out and back along the SDW from Housedean. It was BOILING, not sure 4hrs in the sun was ideal but got the Boro trip (and result) out my system a bit. Oddly, I didn't have my garmin either as I left it at work, so had my phone and let Strava track it. It was quite nice not to have the watch on my wrist constantly reminding me how slowly I was going

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
You're all pretty wise. I got up a bit late Sunday but decided I'd still get my run in. Did about 22.5 miles out and back along the SDW from Housedean. It was BOILING, not sure 4hrs in the sun was ideal but got the Boro trip (and result) out my system a bit. Oddly, I didn't have my garmin either as I left it at work, so had my phone and let Strava track it. It was quite nice not to have the watch on my wrist constantly reminding me how slowly I was going

Blimey 5 miles on Sunday was enough for me - and even then I spent the day feeling rotten.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Enjoyed a scenic 6.5 mile run around York Friday afternoon before drinking heavily until 5am Saturday morning. 3 hours sleep and back on it until 11pm Saturday night. That's my big blow out for the year now, so I can refocus on speed work and look to improve 5 & 10k times this summer.

Hoping to Park Run Saturday but not expecting to be anywhere near pb time.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

I know what you mean about being reliant on the Garmin.. Im going crazy at moment as ive lost my Ant stick.. Meaning i cant upload any activities.. Meaning im statless.... The wife just looks at me with pitty in her eyes as i frantically look under sofa cushions etc etc

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Right: here's a positive one. What's the most surprisingly good run you've ever done? Not necessarily a PB but one where you ended up saying 'where did that come from?'. Maybe you were recovering from an injury or had a long lay-off or simply a beast of hangover. Or maybe you were running an unfamiliar distance and did far better than you anticipated.

Mine was when I was running the 10k leg of a relay triathlon. I'd not run for a couple of weeks but the pressure of not letting the team down made me run my best time for a good few years.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Right: here's a positive one. What's the most surprisingly good run you've ever done? Not necessarily a PB but one where you ended up saying 'where did that come from?'. Maybe you were recovering from an injury or had a long lay-off or simply a beast of hangover. Or maybe you were running an unfamiliar distance and did far better than you anticipated.

Mine was when I was running the 10k leg of a relay triathlon. I'd not run for a couple of weeks but the pressure of not letting the team down made me run my best time for a good few years.

My first was in 1971 winning the Brighton U-12 400m by 100m. It's been downhill ever since........
The second will be my 5k time going sub 20 later this summer.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Two weeks ago, running 22.16 at Hove Park Run two weeks after the marathon, with no speed training other than marathon training and after three courses, a bottle of Malbec and two large brandies the night before. I even have a witness :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Definitely the Brighton half 2014. I'd never run a half before and had set my sights on sub 2 hours and sub 1:55 at a push. Had just bought a Garmin and the first mile at just under 8 felt ok and by 5 miles I was determined not to run a mile above 8's. Goal accomplished and a 1:44 finish time. It was at least ten minutes above my expectation.

More recently on a training run I ran 6:42 pace for 11 miles which was well above any run of similar distance previously.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here