Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Anyone who has got kids thinking about running should have a look at this: http://www.jellyfish.co.uk/runreigate/kids-race

It's a cumulative half marathon where they have to do 12 miles between now and September, with a nice little website for logging their runs up to race day, when they will do the final 1.1 miles after the main half marathon has finished. A neat idea that I have signed my two up to.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Just had my most enjoyable run since I started again.

I got to the bottom of the hill I live on and instead of turning right to do my usual, and planned, 6 and a bit mile loop, I turned left and went up through Findon Village and kept climbing up to the top of Cissbury before barrelling down again in that sort-of-out-of-control way where you couldn't stop even if you wanted to and there are hazards like big stones, divots and rabbit holes with nearly every step.

I know [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] always extols the virtues of the trails over roads and he is quite correct. I'll be doing a lot more trails from now once again.

Finally, what an amazing day it is out there!

It's always trying a different route, especially on a day like today. The trails are nice as they're starting to dry up but there is still some spring in them.

I revisited an old favourite for the first time this year today, my little not-quite 10k up to the Hogs Back and back. I quite surprised myself by running it in my fastest ever time - I wasn't pushing it as such, more just enjoying the scenery, and the occasional bit of wildlife that I came across (a deer and a fox). Happy days!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
That's that then – signed up for London 2017 via a work-related charity place.

Bootcamp tomorrow, parkrun Saturday – time to get the mojo back.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
That's that then – signed up for London 2017 via a work-related charity place.

Bootcamp tomorrow, parkrun Saturday – time to get the mojo back.

I think your just post marathonal and your mojo will come back with rest, active recovery and promotion.

See you there, if Hove Park. As I need to be in the pub by 12 the best option seems to be what side I can get of 21:00. Had another 5 days off (except the allotments) so will be interesting to see how I respond to real running after the fun runs.

Strava shows that [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] has got straight into 10k training. 7x1k intervals at increasing pace on Wednesday with the Nick Rivetts Run Club. The build up has begun.............July 13th, 2017.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I think your just post marathonal and your mojo will come back with rest, active recovery and promotion.

See you there, if Hove Park. As I need to be in the pub by 12 the best option seems to be what side I can get of 21:00. Had another 5 days off (except the allotments) so will be interesting to see how I respond to real running after the fun runs.

Strava shows that [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] has got straight into 10k training. 7x1k intervals at increasing pace on Wednesday with the Nick Rivetts Run Club. The build up has begun.............July 13th, 2017.

Was just doing what I was told to do rather than any sophisticated training plan. Lovely evening for it though.

Yes I've joined The Run Squad, but I'm only on loan from the famous NSC AC. Run Squad are doing a Hove Prom takeover on Saturday so I'll be there rather than Hove Park this week.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm planning another parkrun assault on saturday as well - I'm massively back into running again now that I can run! A cheeky 5 miler this lunch time at work took far longer than I'd planned, so I ended up getting back in nice and late past the hour, good job nobody noticed I was gone.

Time to get properly back into the game. What's happening with the NSC Running club?!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Time to get properly back into the game. What's happening with the NSC Running club?!

Building up for the July 13th showdown. Someone may call a 5k challenge for June.........
Think I'll pop down to the prom Saturday [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] for my virgin run. Good forecast, can keep an eye on Simgulls speed, get home earlier and mainly I have to start getting used to pacing on a flat course.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Building up for the July 13th showdown. Someone may call a 5k challenge for June.........
Think I'll pop down to the prom Saturday [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] for my virgin run. Good forecast, can keep an eye on Simgulls speed, get home earlier and mainly I have to start getting used to pacing on a flat course.

Could be ideal conditions. My chosen venue will be Southsea which is v. similar to Hove Prom (apart from being in Southsea of course) but has just one turn rather than the 4 you get at Hove. As with Hove the wind can be a factor but the forecast looks good. Welcome back to the world of speed (NB a relative term).

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Could be ideal conditions. My chosen venue will be Southsea which is v. similar to Hove Prom (apart from being in Southsea of course) but has just one turn rather than the 4 you get at Hove. As with Hove the wind can be a factor but the forecast looks good. Welcome back to the world of speed (NB a relative term).

Good luck. No heroics from me. Just see if I can settle into a 21:00 to 21:15 pace of 6:45 to 6:50.

This will then put me into contention for the fastest improver. Slowest pace NSC Strava runner last week to fastest pace runner this week albeit with a very low mileage. Looks like a weekend of top finishes........

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

You can't shift me from HP – not at the moment, anyway. Have a good run, make sure you beat [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] :)

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Mrs Orange was supposed to be doing parkrun this weekend, but she has decided that I should do it instead - chiefly so I can replace a leaking tap whilst she replaces me as the parent that takes Junior Orange for his swimming lesson. Can't she do parkrun and take Junior swimming I hear you cry? No, she as she is a little bit slower at running than me :wink:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You can't shift me from HP – not at the moment, anyway. Have a good run, make sure you beat [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] :)

No chance. His exclusive Run Squad will probably form a pack around him and protect him from head winds and stop oiks like me getting near him or his new gang.

Not that I can get near him yet......

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good luck. No heroics from me. Just see if I can settle into a 21:00 to 21:15 pace of 6:45 to 6:50.

This will then put me into contention for the fastest improver. Slowest pace NSC Strava runner last week to fastest pace runner this week albeit with a very low mileage. Looks like a weekend of top finishes........

Mission accomplished. 6:36 pace and 20:31 or 20:30 5K. Pacer got confused with his watch and set us of a bit quick. Happy to kick off the summer 5k Series with that.

Now for the second mission of the day!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Mission accomplished. 6:36 pace and 20:31 or 20:30 5K. Pacer got confused with his watch and set us of a bit quick. Happy to kick off the summer 5k Series with that.

Excellent stuff! 3FC obviously good prep :-D

Quick spin on the hotel treadmill in Boro for me.....

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Well, that was a good start to the weekend. I have definitely got a new parkrun pb and ducked below 19:30 for 5k for the first time. My watch says 19:24, I await the official results email for confirmation.

Now for that tap...

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Clearly the new training regime of arm wrestling female weight lifters is paying as [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] disappeared off into the distance in front of me this morning. 20:56 for me although I think the official results are a bit out. still feeling a bit leggy post marathon and got a cold still anything south of 21 is good at the moment.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Nice one. Nothing heroic from me either: 20:35 at Southsea. Bit disappointing but was 3rd (out of 377) on AG so happy with that.

Got an Age group 1st place (all fast old ****s are at Hove Parkrun) and a life best AG of 75.49% despite being 2:47 minutes slower than pb.
Won't beat you this year, can knock 20 seconds off today's time but the extra 12 secs to go sub 20 will take everything I have over 2 months. That still leaves me short and I'm expecting you to get faster over the summer.

Enjoying trying to catch you though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here