Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
While we await the results of the Hastings Four (surely they'll be freed on appeal?) here's my Duathlon result.
Format of 5k run/15k bike/5k run (quite a short one) staged deep in the heart of Pompey territory. Thoroughly recommend having a crack at one of these. It all adds up: to one ordinary run, one poor run and one very ordinary bike ride wherein you are overtaken by young guys, with trial bars on £X000 bikes.
I managed 21.25 on the first run; 31:41 on bike (17.6mph); 22:07 on 2nd run. An interesting physical challenge.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Its prob been asked/mentioned before..but i take it Hove prom is faster than Hove park??? If so it might be my scene for my sub 19 sometime this year!

Oh and yes good luck to all doing Hastings.... love that long downhill.

My personal view is that Hove Prom is marginally quicker than Hove Park. The 4 turns slow you down on the Prom but it's pretty flat compared to Hove Park which as you know is pretty hilly.

The secret of Hove Prom is to go on a still day, a strong wind will cost you a fair amount of time.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Apologies everyone I besmirched twice at Hastings today. First, I took sudafed in the morning to try and clear the chest, containing ephedrine it is a banned substance. Ask Maradonna although he took more than acouple of sudafeds. Secondly, I had to use my elbows in retaliation to a bunch of Belgian Club Runners. Steward's enquiry on that one but they deserved it.
The event was excellent again and the fast final 5k around my best 5k time for this year. The Hastings Four all finished within 5 minutes of each other and all got sub1:40. My time was better than last years by over 6 minutes.
So the moral of the story, for anyone with the lurgy, is drink 10 pints Friday afternoon, go to bed at 8pm. Drink a bottle of red wine on Saturday night watching Rugby. Swig back some sudafed on race morning to clear out mucus. Then enjoy your run. Off the booze again after today till the Brighton Marathon.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
The Hastings 4 did nsc proud today. In great conditions and cheered on by fantastic crowd St Leonard's Seagull lead us home in 1:37 closely followed by Simgull 1:38 and Knocky only a minute behind at 1:39. I bought us home in 1:40 and we be grinning till Wednesday as never thought I would break 1:45 today. That's my first New Years resolution completed. Knocky also came in 5m quicker than planned so maybe the planets aligned today for us all.
Great to meet up with my fellow nsc runners and looking forward to more of the same in 4 weeks.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I forgot my third offence was to fail to overtake a Palace shirt on the line. That will probably be on the Race photos tomorrow. All I had to do was raise my hand above his head for the camera.:wanker: Defeat would have been worth it then.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The Hastings 4 did nsc proud today. In great conditions and cheered on by fantastic crowd St Leonard's Seagull lead us home in 1:37 closely followed by Simgull 1:38 and Knocky only a minute behind at 1:39. I bought us home in 1:40 and we be grinning till Wednesday as never thought I would break 1:45 today. That's my first New Years resolution completed. Knocky also came in 5m quicker than planned so maybe the planets aligned today for us all.
Great to meet up with my fellow nsc runners and looking forward to more of the same in 4 weeks.

Your race chip time is 1:39:50 something.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Debating whether to go ahead with my long run tomorrow as planned. I had a go at the 10 minute spin challenge Friday at work for Sports Relief and what I presume must be my glute muscles are ruined. Struggling to get up from a seated position and I can feel it when I walk.

Any suggestions for stretches or remedies for this? Last time I attempt a spinning exercise this close to a marathon.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Just back from Hastings. Above comments summarise it really well, super event, nigh on perfect conditions and an unbelievable time of 1:38:01 officially (feels like the chip times may have been a shade generous by 10-15 secs -is that possible? ). Anyway first time I have cracked 1:40 so absolutely delighted and filled me with confidence for London in five weeks.
Great to meet [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] and [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION] at last.

Don't worry [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION], I overtook the Palace runner ('south London and proud:laugh:') all the while chanting 'In Your Face' - well in my head at least.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Debating whether to go ahead with my long run tomorrow as planned. I had a go at the 10 minute spin challenge Friday at work for Sports Relief and what I presume must be my glute muscles are ruined. Struggling to get up from a seated position and I can feel it when I walk.

Any suggestions for stretches or remedies for this? Last time I attempt a spinning exercise this close to a marathon.

No tips except Google, perhaps. More to the point did you win?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just back from Hastings. Above comments summarise it really well, super event, nigh on perfect conditions and an unbelievable time of 1:38:01 officially (feels like the chip times may have been a shade generous by 10-15 secs -is that possible? ). Anyway first time I have cracked 1:40 so absolutely delighted and filled me with confidence for London in five weeks.
Great to meet [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] and [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION] at last.

Don't worry [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION], I overtook the Palace runner ('south London and proud:laugh:') all the while chanting 'In Your Face' - well in my head at least.

I think we all ran to the white line the chip must have activated before that. Not sure what that means in real money. As The Sun used to say "It's Official".

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Fantastic work by the Hastings runners. That's my "must do" race next year. NSC is looking in great shape ahead of marathon season.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Finally back home from the Hastings half after running round after the children this afternoon.
It was great to finally meet some NSC members and put some faces to usernames. A fine effort all round with all of us finishing within 5 minutes of each other and all sub 1:40.
We will have to all have a celebratory drink after Brighton marathon, where I should be in a position to hang around a bit longer. There will also be a few more of us.
I went quite hard at the hills in the beginning hoping to stay around or below 8 min miles, then enjoy the downhills in the second half. The plan went quite well as I got a chip time of 1:34:55, so I'm well pleased with that.
Great efforts lads and onto the next one.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Finally back home from the Hastings half after running round after the children this afternoon.
It was great to finally meet some NSC members and put some faces to usernames. A fine effort all round with all of us finishing within 5 minutes of each other and all sub 1:40.
We will have to all have a celebratory drink after Brighton marathon, where I should be in a position to hang around a bit longer. There will also be a few more of us.
I went quite hard at the hills in the beginning hoping to stay around or below 8 min miles, then enjoy the downhills in the second half. The plan went quite well as I got a chip time of 1:34:55, so I'm well pleased with that.
Great efforts lads and onto the next one.

The winner of the NSC Battle of Hastings. Congratulations. Glad you beat your Dad's time!

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
The winner of the NSC Battle of Hastings. Congratulations. Glad you beat your Dad's time!

Yeah I'm well pleased, it's a shame I didn't start running whilst he was still alive, but it's something I have always to do.
Team NSC all did great I was really pleased that we all finished so close, and we all exceeded our expectations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here