Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I have a Garmin 620. I find that if I set it a minute or two before I leave the house it usually picks up the GPS signal.

It did however let me down majorly on Sunday. Ran the Nottingham HM, and was hoping to beat my PB of 1:57 (I'm old and fat), ideally to go below 1:50, which I knew was unlikely. Kept an eye on the time throughout the race, however the Garmin had auto-paused itself for some reason part way through, so my total elation at being told I'd finished in 1:49:45 was destoyed when the official time was clocked at 1:53:44.

It's a great run though, thoroughly recommended.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Nice to get out this morning after six days without running. Rugby at Twickenham over the weekend so enjoyed numerous pints, beef brisket before the game followed by a chicken madras after with a bottle of red. Ran 8 miles slightly heavier than usual then tried to hit 400 metres hard. Next run for me now is the Brooks 10k mid November.

1 7:17.0 1.00 7:17
2 7:09.5 1.00 7:10
3 7:08.1 1.00 7:08
4 7:08.2 1.00 7:08
5 6:59.8 1.00 7:00
6 6:49.2 1.00 6:49
7 6:56.2 1.00 6:56
8 6:50.4 1.00 6:50
9 1:24.8 0.25 5:40

8.25 in 57:42 at bang on 7 minute mile pace.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Nice to get out this morning after six days without running. Rugby at Twickenham over the weekend so enjoyed numerous pints, beef brisket before the game followed by a chicken madras after with a bottle of red. Ran 8 miles slightly heavier than usual then tried to hit 400 metres hard. Next run for me now is the Brooks 10k mid November.

1 7:17.0 1.00 7:17
2 7:09.5 1.00 7:10
3 7:08.1 1.00 7:08
4 7:08.2 1.00 7:08
5 6:59.8 1.00 7:00
6 6:49.2 1.00 6:49
7 6:56.2 1.00 6:56
8 6:50.4 1.00 6:50
9 1:24.8 0.25 5:40

8.25 in 57:42 at bang on 7 minute mile pace.

For some reason I thought you were in Bright10? Is anyone in that? [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] ? [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I've been mulling over my performance at Barns Green, the splits of which are below:

10:06:409.00
20:06:528.76
30:06:448.93
40:06:498.83
50:07:327.99
60:06:428.96
70:07:457.77
80:07:058.48
90:07:447.78
100:08:317.05
110:09:246.40
120:10:415.63
130:10:345.69
140:01:028.59

During the race I felt I started off a little quickly, but not uncomfortably so. People have already mentioned the hills, and the ones at miles 4 and 7 are particularly sharp. I kind of mentally lost the plot at about the distance my usual long run finishes (about 8.5 miles), my legs went a bit numb, the temperature was going up, and didn't really try and force the issue from then on - and it was noticeable to me that I wasn't out of breath or staggering about when I crossed the line.

I mentioned before that I had a children's party to go to, but I was also looking out for a friend of mine who was running behind me, and I had other stuff on my mind. I suspect that if I had concentrated on form and cadence like I have done in previous half marathons (rather than walking) then I'd have been looking at a just under 1:40 time, but I'll write this one up to experience.

Everyone has a 'bad' run at some point!

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Bugger.

For the first time ever – I think –*I had to abort a run.

Last long one before Isle of Wight – to Saltdean and back – and it all went to pot just before the Wheel/Pier. Struggled on to Hove Lagoon, but decided to take the sensible option and call for a lift home. No rhyme or reason to it (I always like to know 'why?'), and can't figure this one out. Maybe it was because it was later than I normally run, maybe it was going off too quickly, or maybe it was because it was bloody hot out there and I took on no water until I ducked into one of the cafes along the beach.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/913412306

Anyway, not beating myself up about it – just hope Isle of Wight a week Sunday is better.

And yes, [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION], I'm at Brigh10 the week after that too.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bugger.

Last long one before Isle of Wight – to Saltdean and back – and it all went to pot just before the Wheel/Pier. Struggled on to Hove Lagoon, but decided to take the sensible option and call for a lift home. No rhyme or reason to it (I always like to know 'why?'), and can't figure this one out. Maybe it was because it was later than I normally run, maybe it was going off too quickly, or maybe it was because it was bloody hot out there and I took on no water until I ducked into one of the cafes along the beach.

Anyway, not beating myself up about it – just hope Isle of Wight a week Sunday is better.

And yes, [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION], I'm at Brigh10 the week after that too.

I'm sure it'll be alright on the day for IoW and best of luck with both. That run would be my best ever by a factor of absolutely loads yet I can see from the splits where it broke down. We'll all be rooting for you I'm sure, I've certainly seen a snippet of the dedication you've put in.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Bugger.

I feel your annoyance! I abort runs all the time. Two weeks ago for instance i aborted a run 1.8 miles into a 3.1 hove park lunch run because of really tight shins, felt like my legs were gonna brake... That evening though i had a really great run, flying i was!.. Ive decided that if my body dosen't want to run, theres no point in pushing it (unless your in a race, or in the a*se end of nowhere) Just get home, forget about it, eat, drink and be merry then go again..

I'm sure everything will be good for the IOW run. You don't need luck im sure... but good luck anyways!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thanks chaps.

Even thought it IS annoying, today is the very reason I wanted a run at a similar time to the actual race – to find out what it's like to do a long run that doesn't start between 5-6am! Completely different perspective, even though it was a few hours after I'd normally head out. I remember doing the BHF Midnight half the other year and being so 'sleepy' tired, that I could have popped into Hove Park for a nap before carrying on. In that case, the legs and body were fine, but just so tired!

Talking to someone else about it, I reckon lack of fuel and water were the biggest problems. Again, not so much of a problem when it's early, but I reckon when I called it a day it was 18-20° out there!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
For some reason I thought you were in Bright10? Is anyone in that? [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] ? [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]?

No gutted to miss it as bought an entry and now having to give it away as in Chicago 15th-18th.

My last two running events this year are Brooks 10 & Mince Pie 10 which seems like nsc's finest will be converging on Peacehaven.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Bugger.

Great run name, I'm sure you'll be fine for the IOW.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Great run name, I'm sure you'll be fine for the IOW.
Thanks mate - hope you don't mind me ripping off your idea. 'Don't panic' is what I need to tell myself.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Thanks mate - hope you don't mind me ripping off your idea. 'Don't panic' is what I need to tell myself.

It might actually do you a favour by stopping, you will more likely be fresher come the big day.

My best two marathon runs have come after not exceeding 18 miles as my longest run. The other year I completed 20 miles twice and 18 twice and by the midway point my body was breaking down.

I'm going European now and never exceeding 30k in prep for Brighton 2016

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Don't worry about these aborted runs.......the more you do, you're bound to get one now and again, sometimes with no apparent reason. Could be hydration (most likely), food (less likely unless going past 2-2.5 hours), oncoming illness (early onset of a cold for example) or just generally having a bad one. Best not to dwell on it if it's not a regular occurrence. At 18-20 degrees I would be taking on minimum 500ml water an hour, ideally more, and a salt tablet every hour at least otherwise wheels would fall off very quickly......

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It might actually do you a favour by stopping, you will more likely be fresher come the big day.

My best two marathon runs have come after not exceeding 18 miles as my longest run. The other year I completed 20 miles twice and 18 twice and by the midway point my body was breaking down.

I'm going European now and never exceeding 30k in prep for Brighton 2016
Yeah I know. It's what you told me, and others have said today. My issue is that it is such a jump from 18 to 26.2!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Bugger.

To be fair, Isle of Wight - Saltdean and back is a fair old effort, top marks for getting so far as the Lagoon. :bowdown:

I did the Isle of Wight Half in August, the hills were crazy, it was a very tough course only improved by running behind a stunner I stalk on Instagram. The marathon course looks like a challenge, so fair play to you for that one. I'm going for a nice and flat marathon around Beachy Head. :dunce:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Don't worry about these aborted runs.......the more you do, you're bound to get one now and again, sometimes with no apparent reason. Could be hydration (most likely), food (less likely unless going past 2-2.5 hours), oncoming illness (early onset of a cold for example) or just generally having a bad one. Best not to dwell on it if it's not a regular occurrence. At 18-20 degrees I would be taking on minimum 500ml water an hour, ideally more, and a salt tablet every hour at least otherwise wheels would fall off very quickly......
Could be any of them, or maybe all three!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
To be fair, Isle of Wight - Saltdean and back is a fair old effort, top marks for getting so far as the Lagoon. :bowdown:

I did the Isle of Wight Half in August, the hills were crazy, it was a very tough course only improved by running behind a stunner I stalk on Instagram. The marathon course looks like a challenge, so fair play to you for that one. I'm going for a nice and flat marathon around Beachy Head. :dunce:
Yep - ran across the water and everything 😂

I heard the marathon route is different to the half - not sure if better or worse. Ah well, it'll be an experience.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] yes I'm in for the Brighton 10mile. Beyond that I need to check I can't remember if I've entered the Brooks 10k.

Also considering Mince Pie 10 (probably) and Poppy Day HM at Bexhill - I have a vague ambition of doing all of the HMs in Sussex - just looked at Brighton Half - £38! That's nearly as much as watching Leeds play football(and they're the Champions of Europe you know).
[MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] - to add my tuppence - you also did a pretty quick parkrun on Saturday including a world record attempt in the first km. Don't underestimate the benefits of the taper and the adrenalin any events brings - you'll be fine for the IOW!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here