Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
2 weeks without running for me. Swimming and hill walking only. Will enter this Mince Pie run and will gladly eat pies for anyone who does not like them.

Good luck with the half marathon today and the Isle of Wight marathon which beckons.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Back from Barns Green. Finished in 1:43:20 unofficially which I am very pleased with - nearly five minutes quicker than last year. Pushed myself quite hard early on and struggled a bit later on. I'd really forgotten it is a hard run in comparison to the other HMs I've done - how a course that starts and ends at the same place contains so much uphill remains a geographic mystery to me - especially in the second half - miles 8-11 are really tough and then the last 400m uphill to the finish just add insult to injury.

It is a fantastic event though - brilliantly organised, through beautiful scenery including Christ's Hospital's grounds (although the borders were away so no band this year!), a great atmosphere and capped off with great weather this morning. Highly recommended if you have not done it before and fancy a challenging HM. Now for a soak in the bath.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Back from Barns Green. Finished in 1:43:20 unofficially which I am very pleased with - nearly five minutes quicker than last year. Pushed myself quite hard early on and struggled a bit later on. I'd really forgotten it is a hard run in comparison to the other HMs I've done - how a course that starts and ends at the same place contains so much uphill remains a geographic mystery to me - especially in the second half - miles 8-11 are really tough and then the last 400m uphill to the finish just add insult to injury.

It is a fantastic event though - brilliantly organised, through beautiful scenery including Christ's Hospital's grounds (although the borders were away so no band this year!), a great atmosphere and capped off with great weather this morning. Highly recommended if you have not done it before and fancy a challenging HM. Now for a soak in the bath.

You're right it is a great event. Great time and to knock 5 minutes off last year is a great effort. It was VERY warm last year I recall. 1:49:23 for me this time which was an improvement on 12 months ago but a way off my pb for Barns Green. I must have done it 5 times now but the amount of uphill never ceases to catch me out.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Back from Barns Green. Finished in 1:43:20 I'd really forgotten it is a hard run in comparison to the other HMs I've done - how a course that starts and ends at the same place contains so much uphill remains a geographic mystery to me

MC Esher designed the course.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
What the rap dj?

Welcome back - see you back at Hove Park Saturday?

I meant Escher with a c. Not back yet. Still enjoying the cold and rain. In Stykkisholmur now. Another geothermal swim tomorrow and maybe a jog around before hitting the hot water.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Nice running - a cracking time and stunning improvement from last year.

It is a great course and a real challenge - I too don't really know where all the downhills are as I seemed to remember pretty much all of it being either flat or up a hill!

I'll put it back in the mix for next year.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I clocked myself at 1:44:06 at Barns Green - [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] must have passed me when I was walking at the end. Frankly the hills at 4 and 7 miles knocked the fight out of my legs... that and the thought of having to go to a childrens party directly afterwards meant I just couldn't be bothered to thrash myself just to get a sub 1:40!!

Comfortably my worst half marathon time! :)

(stil got a silver medal though :wink: )

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He is madder than you and Pembury. With back up it would be OK, if you can run 200+ miles and like rain. Excellent effort.

He is. Nice to be able to do these things for a living I guess.......

I'm going to assume that you have to keep pushing it further and further as well.

Back in the summer I went to see a talk by Sir Ranulph Fienns in Worthing. The audience seemed full of runners or at least people without much body fat. He showed videos from his adventures at both poles and when he did seven marathons in seven days on seven continents (three months after surgery following a heart attack) but then he showed one from the recently completed Marathon Des Sables. Just describing the heat made me feel faint - I'd take rain and glaciers any day over that - but then they showed a bit where the physio had to crack his spine back in to alignment. It made a noise like a rifle and the whole room winced.

Be warned, that's where you Ultra nutters are heading :)

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
This might be a good place to ask about shin splints. At uni I would run 2-3 times a week for about 6-7km in half an hour on a treadmill and recover quite quickly.

Having moved home I'm jogging on the pavement and paths (about 5k) and after runs I develop pretty bad shin splints in my lower shins/ upper ankle area. Usually I can run through it but recently it has sapped the energy right out of my legs and left me feeling infirmed.

I know you're supposed to just rest it but even if I wait maybe 5 days or so they return as soon as I start jogging again.

Any advice?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
This might be a good place to ask about shin splints. At uni I would run 2-3 times a week for about 6-7km in half an hour on a treadmill and recover quite quickly.

Having moved home I'm jogging on the pavement and paths (about 5k) and after runs I develop pretty bad shin splints in my lower shins/ upper ankle area. Usually I can run through it but recently it has sapped the energy right out of my legs and left me feeling infirmed.

I know you're supposed to just rest it but even if I wait maybe 5 days or so they return as soon as I start jogging again.

Any advice?

Yes, start jogging on softer ground - get some trail shoes and get into the countryside.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
My Color Run pack just turned up. Looks like I'll be doing this one in glitter facepaint and a headband :lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
An otherwise regulation recovery run this morning, except I found out something that you may all know already but I only found out (via Facebook) yesterday. Dp you use a Garmin GPS watch? Does it take forever to find a starting place? Take it off your wrist and lie it flat on a wall and it will pick up where you are almost immediately. It took 3 mins to get going on Saturday. About 2 seconds this morning.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
An otherwise regulation recovery run this morning, except I found out something that you may all know already but I only found out (via Facebook) yesterday. Dp you use a Garmin GPS watch? Does it take forever to find a starting place? Take it off your wrist and lie it flat on a wall and it will pick up where you are almost immediately. It took 3 mins to get going on Saturday. About 2 seconds this morning.

If that works you'll have removed one of those minor annoyances that stress me out to a disproportionate degree!!

If you can also tell how to get it to upload every time without several cycles of switching it off and on again and rebooting my laptop you'll have made my day!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yep. Always chuck mine outside while I am getting other stuff ready.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Really good run on what sounds like a pretty tough course. One performance caught my eye - the first 60+ runner (a Brighton one as well) did it in under 1:28. Now that's going some!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
If that works you'll have removed one of those minor annoyances that stress me out to a disproportionate degree!!

Certainly worked this morning with Forerunner 10.

If you can also tell how to get it to upload every time without several cycles of switching it off and on again and rebooting my laptop you'll have made my day!

Sadly no. It's completely random. Sometimes it'll take me a day to upload it and I'll stick with the less accurate Strava via phone recording (I take a back up device, I'm a data nerd). Other times I will get two of the same run immediately I charge it via the laptop USB. Grrr.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here