Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
After getting my London Marathon rejection yesterday, I now have one definite and possibly two charity place offers. A lot of money to raise but I am very pleased to have a place.

Back to Hove Park tomorrow and then start thinking about a training plan only 204 days to go!

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Perfect conditions in Preston Park for the Parkrun this morning, light mist just lifting, sun coming through but not hot, very still. Just getting back into regular runs in last 3-4 weeks after resting from injuries (persistent ankle problem for several months, then hip on the other leg caused by compensating for the ankle). Felt really good today, no pain anywhere, strong steady pace throughout - waiting for official time, but definitely a PB for me, and may be just inside the 23 minute mark for the first time, and crucially may even have got me close to my ultimate target which is getting over 70% in the age-adjusted result (since my return from injury I've moved into the 60-64 age group),

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Lovely conditions this morning although I left it a bit late at 9:40 to start my run to get the benefit of the cooler mornings. Took in the sights of Brighton seafront to begin with but the Land Rover rally on Madeira Drive meant I turned near the Steve Ovett statue and back to the Shoreham Power station before returning back towards Hove lagoon.

Managed 9 miles in 1:02:59.9 so sub 7 (just) across the run which is the longest distance I've ever sustained that pace.

1 6:59.5 1.00 7:00
2 7:07.9 1.00 7:08
3 7:02.7 1.00 7:03
4 6:55.1 1.00 6:55
5 6:55.4 1.00 6:55
6 7:04.7 1.00 7:05
7 7:06.2 1.00 7:06
8 7:02.7 1.00 7:03
9 6:44.9 1.00 6:45
10 :00.8 0.00 3:01
1:02:59 9miles 7:00 avr pace

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Good weekend for me. Hove parkrun in 20:36 just 5 secs off a pb and I think my second fastest time ever. Then this morning watched Mrs Simgull complete the Rise 8k on the under cliff pass before running home from Rottingdean - 12km in 57mins (not quite [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] pace but quick enough for me).
Best of all, having stupidly lost my heart rate monitor at Hove Park on Saturday found it again this morning.

Finally cycled to/from the Amex for the first time for two thirds of some kind of triathlon on Saturday. 40 mins from west hove so marginally quicker than the train and no hanging around in queues.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Ha just got my second London Marathon charity place confirmed. Difficult decision to make now, feel like I have to let someone down but I guess someone else will take the place.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Ha just got my second London Marathon charity place confirmed. Difficult decision to make now, feel like I have to let someone down but I guess someone else will take the place.

I take it you decided not to run Brighton this year? Or are you going for the double?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I take it you decided not to run Brighton this year? Or are you going for the double?

No I booked a Brighton place as back up in case I did not get into London. I can't see myself doing many more marathons so wanted a crack at London. I'll probably do the Brighton 10k then cheer everyone else on. Doing the double feels well beyond me especially with a big holiday at Easter to celebrate my move up into the next age bracket of veterans!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Nice one Simgull. I find out today about my VLM charity place. And I'm doing Brighton, so hopefully the double is on...

Weekend off running due to taper and a cold (grrr), which was quite nice. Although I did have a dream that I came in first at parkrun :D

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No running at all for me over the weekend to allow various niggles to settle down. Luckily didn't do any damage with Friday's 7k and am not feeling the effects of taking the football team's warm up yesterday. Assuming nothing flares up I am going to get up early tomorrow and go for a long-ish run which should put me back on track for Bright10.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I was a proud Dad yesterday, as Junior Orange ran his first Junior Parkrun, he part ran and part walked, but he didn't ask to be carried once!

:)

Looks like a lunchtime run in the rain for me today.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Taking a couple of days off can be really beneficial. For example you can win the Dustin Gee 15k Invitational in a time of 1.25.17.

https://www.strava.com/activities/407280721

Entries had sold out when I tried to get in so I might try the Les Dennis Grand Prix in association with Palmolive this weekend. It's a new race but set along a flat course over 15k. They reckon pb's are achievable.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Entries had sold out when I tried to get in so I might try the Les Dennis Grand Prix in association with Palmolive this weekend. It's a new race but set along a flat course over 15k. They reckon pb's are achievable.

:lolol:

I just love the name Dustin.

"What name shall we choose?"
"How about something that sounds almost exactly like Dustbin but isn't."
"Perfect."

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Perfect conditions in Preston Park for the Parkrun this morning, light mist just lifting, sun coming through but not hot, very still. Just getting back into regular runs in last 3-4 weeks after resting from injuries (persistent ankle problem for several months, then hip on the other leg caused by compensating for the ankle). Felt really good today, no pain anywhere, strong steady pace throughout - waiting for official time, but definitely a PB for me, and may be just inside the 23 minute mark for the first time, and crucially may even have got me close to my ultimate target which is getting over 70% in the age-adjusted result (since my return from injury I've moved into the 60-64 age group),

As a fellow 60-64 good to come across another NSC runner in this category. A PB is a thing to behold: well done. I too am a parkrunner (mostly do the Bognor which is quite a slowish course). I tend to hover around the 21:30 mark and the mid 70%s AGR. I tend to avoid longer races as I too am a bit injury prone. However, tried the 'Alf Stubbs 5 mile' on Sunday (named after a local legend who broke many a world record). This was a proper x-country race (stiles and all) and 37:23 was my time - serving to remind me how tough x-country can be.
Keep it up and see the seconds shaved off!

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
As a fellow 60-64 good to come across another NSC runner in this category. A PB is a thing to behold: well done. I too am a parkrunner (mostly do the Bognor which is quite a slowish course). I tend to hover around the 21:30 mark and the mid 70%s AGR. I tend to avoid longer races as I too am a bit injury prone. However, tried the 'Alf Stubbs 5 mile' on Sunday (named after a local legend who broke many a world record). This was a proper x-country race (stiles and all) and 37:23 was my time - serving to remind me how tough x-country can be.
Keep it up and see the seconds shaved off!

You sir, are an inspiration to me. I've managed to avoid too many comparisons with the NSC speed merchants on here, on the grounds that most of them are a good 20 years younger than me, but a fellow 60+ with those times is definitely throwing down a challenge to me. In my defence, I've only been doing this running lark for just over 18 months -- I experienced quite rapid improvements in the first year, getting my 5k down to 23:30 and my 10k down to just over 48 min, but for the last 6 months have been plateaued at around those levels, compounded by persistent minor injuries, so I'm hoping that the recent surge in my parkrun times (two successive weeks of PBs, and a good half minute off my previous best) are the start of a new round of improvement. The injury thing is a worry though, given my age, and relative newbie status to running -- I've been doing yoga and strengthening work to try and increase my resilience to injury. I'm signed up for the Brooks 10k in November, and the Brighton Half in Feb, which will be my first race longer than 10k, so that will be interesting.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's guys like you two who are the inspirational types for a lot of us....never too old to start or keep improving. Great stuff (and I am looking forward to moving into V50 category soon :O )

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
You sir, are an inspiration to me. I've managed to avoid too many comparisons with the NSC speed merchants on here, on the grounds that most of them are a good 20 years younger than me, but a fellow 60+ with those times is definitely throwing down a challenge to me. In my defence, I've only been doing this running lark for just over 18 months -- I experienced quite rapid improvements in the first year, getting my 5k down to 23:30 and my 10k down to just over 48 min, but for the last 6 months have been plateaued at around those levels, compounded by persistent minor injuries, so I'm hoping that the recent surge in my parkrun times (two successive weeks of PBs, and a good half minute off my previous best) are the start of a new round of improvement. The injury thing is a worry though, given my age, and relative newbie status to running -- I've been doing yoga and strengthening work to try and increase my resilience to injury. I'm signed up for the Brooks 10k in November, and the Brighton Half in Feb, which will be my first race longer than 10k, so that will be interesting.

I'll try not to turn this into a mutual love-in (and thanks to Dazzer too)! I've been running on and off for about 30 years and have 'relatively' improved as I've got older. Whoever invented the age-grading methodology is my hero! So I guess my story is reasonably typical maybe. But you've come from 'nowhere' to run at a very decent level - you must be a bit of a natural. Whether you are more likely to be injury-prone given your lack of background is interesting. In this context a half-marathon (and the training to do yourself justice in it) could be a big challenge.
Brighton has some amazing 60+ (and 65+ and 70+) runners. I can think of 2 or 3 who are still regularly knocking out sub 20 5Ks and never appear to take a break. I'd like a pint of whatever they're drinking - but I suspect they don't do much drinking!
I'm finding it really difficult to put in the training to get my down to a sub-21 (done one this year), but at least with a 61st birthday coming up in December the god of age-grading will be sympathetic.
By the way an NSC regular, Knocky 1, is a 50 something capable of notching some very good times.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'd echo Dazzers point Soistes & GN Teacher are living proof that age isn't a barrier to fitness and running really competitive times. If I can stay around the 21/22minute mark for a 5k in 25 years time I'll be well chuffed.

Out tonight after work a detour home via New England Hill pleased to go sub 7 for 5 miles with that uphill section.

Hopefully I can get back to Hove Park Run this weekend and go for a longer 10 mile run Sunday.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I look at guys in their 60s and 70s out running and I really hope I can be like them when the time comes.

You guys in the older generation of runners in here put some amazing runs in, so you're also an inspiration to me!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here