Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Well done. You maintain your ability to produce the goods on the basis of almost zero training. This is scary. There's no doubt about it - PG is a class act. At least GNT junior out-kicked him at Worthing, but he is 33 years his junior!

Let's see how you shape-up upon return from Ireland.....................I'm so worried that I'm off to do some intervals.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Nike doing a selected 25% off thing with code BTS21. Not a lot that appeals, to be honest, but I think these Kipchoge Peg 37s for £55 are a great deal for a daily trainer, and they look lovely too. Full range of sizes available right now...

https://www.nike.com/gb/t/air-zoom-pegasus-37-eliud-kipchoge-running-shoe-jX8LgG/DD9478-100

Lovely to look at but it's a no from me, Clive on the Peg 37's Bozza. At least not to run in. On a neutral road shoe tip, with the exception of the Nike Vaporfly NEXT%'s (v1's), Nike have had a woeful year or so of bringing out some pretty average iterations with bloated price tags. I think they've dropped the "running shoe" tech ball despite the market leading budgets they have.

Definitely recommend looking at the likes of Saucony, New Balance, Asics, Hoka, (even Adidas!) ahead of Nike at the moment for some really fun and responsive neutral road shoes that are more reasonably priced.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Lovely to look at but it's a no from me, Clive on the Peg 37's Bozza. At least not to run in. On a neutral road shoe tip, with the exception of the Nike Vaporfly NEXT%'s (v1's), Nike have had a woeful year or so of bringing out some pretty average iterations with bloated price tags. I think they've dropped the "running shoe" tech ball despite the market leading budgets they have.

Definitely recommend looking at the likes of Saucony, New Balance, Asics, Hoka, (even Adidas!) ahead of Nike at the moment for some really fun and responsive neutral road shoes that are more reasonably priced.

The ZoomX Invincible Run is the best shoe I own*. I have to force myself to pick something else when I'm just going out for a plod, which is what most of my runs are. So much so, that I've just ordered a second pair. The £1t60 price tag is outrageous and I'd never have paid that, but when you can pick them up on offer, they're well worth considering.

You and I are in different sports though - you're a nimble speedy racer, and I'm a chunky old non-racing bloke who lollops along a bit. The shoes don't make much difference to me, if any at all. I have the Peg 36, 37 and 38s all in my current rotation and I really don't think I can feel any difference between them, even after reading reviews that tell me what the differences are and what I should feel.

The obvious gap for me, in Nike's current line-up, is the Peg Turbo/2 replacement. I know the Tempo Next% is very much a Marmite shoe. I love mine for the rare occasion I try to run a bit faster and I know some reviewers such as Edd Bud are also fans, but there are also many detractors. A pared-down lighter, faster shoe is very much missing right now.

(* - well, the Vaporfly Next% 2 is probably better, but four months after buying them, I've yet to put them on)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I missed the key point I intended to get to in the above.

For me, £55 for a solid daily trainer that will see me through 500+ miles, is good value.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
The ZoomX Invincible Run is the best shoe I own*. I have to force myself to pick something else when I'm just going out for a plod, which is what most of my runs are. So much so, that I've just ordered a second pair. The £1t60 price tag is outrageous and I'd never have paid that, but when you can pick them up on offer, they're well worth considering.

You and I are in different sports though - you're a nimble speedy racer, and I'm a chunky old non-racing bloke who lollops along a bit. The shoes don't make much difference to me, if any at all. I have the Peg 36, 37 and 38s all in my current rotation and I really don't think I can feel any difference between them, even after reading reviews that tell me what the differences are and what I should feel.

The obvious gap for me, in Nike's current line-up, is the Peg Turbo/2 replacement. I know the Tempo Next% is very much a Marmite shoe. I love mine for the rare occasion I try to run a bit faster and I know some reviewers such as Edd Bud are also fans, but there are also many detractors. A pared-down lighter, faster shoe is very much missing right now.

(* - well, the Vaporfly Next% 2 is probably better, but four months after buying them, I've yet to put them on)

The Nike Invicibles do seem like they have something about them Bozza. Particularly for easy going days to bop along in. A plush and bouncy ride. I was tempted but the pricing is silly. I'd compare them to the New Balance FuelCell Rebel V2 which I'm finding a lot of fun for bopping along.

Yes definitely, if Nike come out with the Peg Turbo 3 all will be forgiven! The Turbo 1's and 2's were both amazing. They had a gem! Hands down one of my most favourite shoes ever.

Congrats on hitting 2,000 miles for the year so far! That is epic running!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Nike Invicibles do seem like they have something about them Bozza. Particularly for easy going days to bop along in. A plush and bouncy ride. I was tempted but the pricing is silly. I'd compare them to the New Balance FuelCell Rebel V2 which I'm finding a lot of fun for bopping along.

Yes definitely, if Nike come out with the Peg Turbo 3 all will be forgiven! The Turbo 1's and 2's were both amazing. They had a gem! Hands down one of my most favourite shoes ever.

Congrats on hitting 2,000 miles for the year so far! That is epic running!!

Keller is my go-to for most of my stuff now they've figured Brexit out and will ship to the UK again. They price very competitively, and £7.99 a year gets an extra 10% off most things, and they upped that to 20% this past weekend.

https://www.keller-sports.co.uk/p/nike-zoomx-invincible-run-flyknit-running-shoe-RSCNI0IQ000.html - for a little over £80 was too tempting.

Edd Bud enthused about the Vomero 16 recently. It seems to be a model that is a bit under-the-radar, but does include some ZoomX magic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32CvSDF3GzU

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well done. You maintain your ability to produce the goods on the basis of almost zero training. This is scary. There's no doubt about it - PG is a class act. At least GNT junior out-kicked him at Worthing, but he is 33 years his junior!

Let's see how you shape-up upon return from Ireland.....................I'm so worried that I'm off to do some intervals.

That 35 seconds is a long way away on the track, it put me 200m behind the pack I could have been part of. They had a massive tussle with the machine being inched out. I did 7 and a half laps around an empty stadium 30m behind Caroline till the run in. :(
End of the summer track races now and time to switch to cross country training and build up endurance. Seaford Strider's Mince Pie 10m on December 5th appeal to you? Great atmosphere.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It's my group run tonight. Current forecast: 30C (feels like 38C).

Wish me luck!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I have a pair of the original 4%s which I bought about a month before lockdown. I wore them once and they've been sitting in a cupboard ever since. I think I'll dig them out for my in-person 10k in November.

I assume you guys don't have particularly wide feet? I don't think I could wear any of the Nike shoes for a long run because they're just too narrow around my toes.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
With your impressive efforts of linking great running to good beer that sounds like a good evening.

Ha. Unfortunately the social side of running hasn't come back yet. This group used to have a monthly social but that hasn't come back yet. The Run-TO-Beer group hasn't had any runs at all yet this year either.

I do have some beers in the fridge though...

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
That 35 seconds is a long way away on the track, it put me 200m behind the pack I could have been part of. They had a massive tussle with the machine being inched out. I did 7 and a half laps around an empty stadium 30m behind Caroline till the run in. :(
End of the summer track races now and time to switch to cross country training and build up endurance. Seaford Strider's Mince Pie 10m on December 5th appeal to you? Great atmosphere.

Thanks for the heads-up but a 10 miler in winter conditions doesn't float the old boat, I'm afraid. (Didn't it used to be at Peacehaven BTW?) I can find plenty of tarmac regardless of the season and be the fat track bully that I am.

I did my interval session today and felt good. Will probably try Tunbridge Wells on Saturday but 'unlikely' (!) to rival John Lowden's sub 20 last Saturday on a slow looking course. He's now number 1 in the country with Paul Whelpton not far behind.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks for the heads-up but a 10 miler in winter conditions doesn't float the old boat, I'm afraid. (Didn't it used to be at Peacehaven BTW?) I can find plenty of tarmac regardless of the season and be the fat track bully that I am.

I did my interval session today and felt good. Will probably try Tunbridge Wells on Saturday but 'unlikely' (!) to rival John Lowden's sub 20 last Saturday on a slow looking course. He's now number 1 in the country with Paul Whelpton not far behind.

You’re right the Seaford Striders go to Peacehaven.

A few of you Sussex old git John’s over 80%. John Orden at Arena mentioned John Lowden last night.
Orden himself an 80%er about 63-64 kicks a sub 3:30 marathon and is on great running form near 20:30 Parkrun.We’ll have to meet him for a Parkrun this winter, if I’m allowed as a mere 70%er.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It turns out the heat wasn't the main problem with my run yesterday. I appear to have strained/pulled one of my glute muscles. As soon as I stopped running I could feel this pain in my backside and lower back.

From consulting Dr Google, I think I may have Gluteus Medius Tendinopathy, or Dead Butt Syndrome. Which also explains my bum sometimes going numb when I'm in certain, uncomfortable seats. I'm guessing my 10 hour train journey on Saturday exacerbated things somewhat.

http://www.utahorthopediccenters.com/hip/gluteus-medius-tendinopathy-or-dead-butt-syndrome/

Has anyone else had this? I'm going to rest it for a few days and try and do some stretches.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It turns out the heat wasn't the main problem with my run yesterday. I appear to have strained/pulled one of my glute muscles. As soon as I stopped running I could feel this pain in my backside and lower back.

From consulting Dr Google, I think I may have Gluteus Medius Tendinopathy, or Dead Butt Syndrome. Which also explains my bum sometimes going numb when I'm in certain, uncomfortable seats. I'm guessing my 10 hour train journey on Saturday exacerbated things somewhat.

http://www.utahorthopediccenters.com/hip/gluteus-medius-tendinopathy-or-dead-butt-syndrome/

Has anyone else had this? I'm going to rest it for a few days and try and do some stretches.

As the resident sicknote, I'm afraid to say I don't think I have had that one. I do remember a butt muscle/bone pain where I sat on my knobbly roller and worked around that area. It released the stress for me.

CoolTed

Nov 2, 2015

I've had many problems in this area, always on my left side with pain around the hip, glute and lower back. I'm not sure if it's been due to Dead Butt Syndrome, as Dr Google has come up with various explanations over the years. It's generally been worse after a hard session, particularly when followed by a period seated. I've always been a bit lop sided, with my left running shoe wearing out before the right one.
I can usually ease the problems (when they appear) by stretching and I find easy running often helps to clear them. In terms of prevention, I've had a reasonable amount of success by concentrating on glute strengthening exercises and also by ensuring that I activate my glutes when warming up before a run, particularly before a hard session or a race. I also focus on running more upright these days - my left shoe seems to last longer as a result!
Immediately after a run I ensure I stretch well around that area and I believe that helps.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I've had many problems in this area, always on my left side with pain around the hip, glute and lower back. I'm not sure if it's been due to Dead Butt Syndrome, as Dr Google has come up with various explanations over the years. It's generally been worse after a hard session, particularly when followed by a period seated. I've always been a bit lop sided, with my left running shoe wearing out before the right one.
I can usually ease the problems (when they appear) by stretching and I find easy running often helps to clear them. In terms of prevention, I've had a reasonable amount of success by concentrating on glute strengthening exercises and also by ensuring that I activate my glutes when warming up before a run, particularly before a hard session or a race. I also focus on running more upright these days - my left shoe seems to last longer as a result!
Immediately after a run I ensure I stretch well around that area and I believe that helps.

Thank you for the advice. It is feeling a lot better after a day of rest and a few stretches. I'll probably try and do an easy run at some point over the weekend and see how it feels.
I do also have a slightly lop sided run, so I guess that's a factor. I tend to find I get more injuries (or just tighter muscles) on my right side but this injury is on the left side. Maybe there's some over-compensating going on somewhere. I did try and modify gait after a visit to the physio a couple of years ago which has helped with calf problems. I've added all these stretches to my routine but I don't do a lot of glute stretching. That will definitely change now!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Spent hours with the Ireland Parkrun map today checking which Parkruns had the slowest winners in areas where we will be campervanning for a month in September.
Managed to plan a route where I had a good chance of top 3 places in a number of runs over on the wild and beautiful West Coast.
Then I came across a Twitter feed saying that only Junior Parkruns have started in Eire and that there is no plan for the adult Parkrun to start anytime soon. Shame as great meeting different Parkrun groups and winning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here