Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Dropped it on the 2nd corner, as you run away from the South towards the North for the first time...probably cost me about 30 seconds and lots of embarassment...came out of my pocket which I have since discovered has a hole in it! Will be working to get back under 21:00 next week.

Yes definitely you I saw in that case, good effort to still finish in that time.

8:45 meet sounds good for next week, I'll be jogging up from Hove seafront about 8:30.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Hove Park Role Call 8th November.
Greg Bobkin
Knocky1
Simgull
BigNuts
BadAsh
Simgull
Dazzer6666 calf tear but maybe fixed
7:18
Any others? Paul Barber?

Bignuts suggests an 8:45 meet up. How about the climbing rock on the right as you approach the finish line? Any late comers could join us at the start line.

I have bought a green away shirt from Oxfam for the occasion despite preferring to run incognito.

My aim will be sub 21 but in my effort to get there I could burn out! Looking forward to it more than the Brookes 10k but at half the distance that makes sense.

Yep, should be there. Need to buy some Albion attire, had not thought of Oxfam!
I'm on your list twice btw.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to make Parkrun, I'd not accounted for the fact my other half is playing netball on Saturday morning, so we won't be coming down to Brighton on Friday night as I was planning. To make mates worse I can't do my local one as it's not on this week because another event is on in the park.

I did my first cross country run today, Over the Hills 12K in Bradford-On-Avon. I really enjoyed it, except for the fear that I was going to slip and do myself some damage for about 3/4 of it! I used my normal running shoes and very quickly realized they were completely inappropriate, not only was I losing ground to everyone else, but to be honest it really felt dangerous at times.

Does anyone have any recommendations for cross country footwear?

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to make Parkrun, I'd not accounted for the fact my other half is playing netball on Saturday morning, so we won't be coming down to Brighton on Friday night as I was planning. To make mates worse I can't do my local one as it's not on this week because another event is on in the park.

I did my first cross country run today, Over the Hills 12K in Bradford-On-Avon. I really enjoyed it, except for the fear that I was going to slip and do myself some damage for about 3/4 of it! I used my normal running shoes and very quickly realized they were completely inappropriate, not only was I losing ground to everyone else, but to be honest it really felt dangerous at times.

Honestly there's not all that much difference between trail and road shoes unless it's really muddy. One difference is that trail shoes are generally neutral, in that they don't offer protection from over pronation etc...which you don't need with the varying terrain.

I still slip wearing trail shoes in the dry! I've got a pair of salomons and the north face trail shoes, if you want protection go try some salomons maybe, they also have the quick lace system, so you don't have to worry about your laces coming undone.

The North face trail shoes are very light, but you pay for it in lack of protection.

Of course everyone has their own preferences, and those 2 shoes manufacturers are just my own.

I've worn road shoes on trail races and tail shoes doing road marathons.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade

I've just entered for my first cross country run The Downland Devil next month http://www.worthingstriders.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=124&Itemid=57

I hadn't thought about different footwear until your post so had a look and Brooks do a trail version of the shoes I wear (Adrenaline GTS) so I'll probably get those.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Honestly there's not all that much difference between trail and road shoes unless it's really muddy. One difference is that trail shoes are generally neutral, in that they don't offer protection from over pronation etc...which you don't need with the varying terrain.

I still slip wearing trail shoes in the dry! I've got a pair of salomons and the north face trail shoes, if you want protection go try some salomons maybe, they also have the quick lace system, so you don't have to worry about your laces coming undone.

The North face trail shoes are very light, but you pay for it in lack of protection.

Of course everyone has their own preferences, and those 2 shoes manufacturers are just my own.

I've worn road shoes on trail races and tail shoes doing road marathons.

Well, given it was my first race I don't have much to compare it to, but it seemed pretty muddy. It had been raining overnight and given that I started at the back for a 300 strong field, the best part of 200 people had trampled through it ahead of me, which I'm sure didn't help. It was the muddy sections where I felt I had to slow otherwise I'd do myself or someone else some damage, and lost ground. I also seemed to lose ground (or at least not make it) on wet grass sections, to people I would run much quicker than on the harder, drier sections. Obviously some of this is down to experience and technique, but I personally felt that the footwear must have been playing a significant part of this.

Looking around, the vast majority of people seemed to have much chunkier footwear than me, and from the sounds of it a fair few had metal studs. Given there were road sections and some tarmacked paths I'm not sure I'd want metal studs.

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Well, given it was my first race I don't have much to compare it to, but it seemed pretty muddy. It had been raining overnight and given that I started at the back for a 300 strong field, the best part of 200 people had trampled through it ahead of me, which I'm sure didn't help. It was the muddy sections where I felt I had to slow otherwise I'd do myself or someone else some damage, and lost ground. I also seemed to lose ground (or at least not make it) on wet grass sections, to people I would run much quicker than on the harder, drier sections. Obviously some of this is down to experience and technique, but I personally felt that the footwear must have been playing a significant part of this.

Looking around, the vast majority of people seemed to have much chunkier footwear than me, and from the sounds of it a fair few had metal studs. Given there were road sections and some tarmacked paths I'm not sure I'd want metal studs.

Trail shoes clear the mud better from the soles of the shoe, if it's really muddy then no road shoes aren't good enough.

I've spent hundreds of pounds on different trail shoes, and honestly the best pair I've ever had were mountain warehouse own brand trail shoes. Very similar to salomons, but £35 instead of £100.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Trail shoes clear the mud better from the soles of the shoe, if it's really muddy then no road shoes aren't good enough.

I've spent hundreds of pounds on different trail shoes, and honestly the best pair I've ever had were mountain warehouse own brand trail shoes. Very similar to salomons, but £35 instead of £100.

Similar here. Tried loads in an effort to stop falling over on the Downs in the rain (finally lost the plot went I went over 5 times in the Steyning Stinger marathon). Eventually discovered Inov8 (Roclites in my case) and the grip is sensational, and the sole soft enough to cope with a fair amount of tarmac within a run. They were less than £50 - can always find deals online.

Jul 7, 2003
According to the website, [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] completed in 3:08:48

Well done mate - enjoy the craft beers and food over the next few days.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
According to the website, [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] completed in 3:08:48

Well done mate - enjoy the craft beers and food over the next few days.

Cheers mate and thanks for your generous support. A new personal best on a very tough course. The 5 bridges were bitches as the inclines are long and steep and you're really exposed. Really pleased with the time though. Cracking race as well; really colourful. My trip now switches to the craft beer and restaurant threads.....after a shower.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009

For training and racing over mixed terrain trail shoes are best but for racing cross country then wear spikes, 9mm for firm ground 12 for soft and 15 for heavy.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
PHENOMENAL time I could only DREAM of...well done matey

Cheers. I'll post a report later as it's a great race. Just Tokyo and Chicago now to complete the set of Majors.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
So I must have missed it somewhere, but are we all wearing Brighton tops next week? If so I'll remember to pull mine out.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Cheers mate and thanks for your generous support. A new personal best on a very tough course. The 5 bridges were bitches as the inclines are long and steep and you're really exposed. Really pleased with the time though. Cracking race as well; really colourful. My trip now switches to the craft beer and restaurant threads.....after a shower.

That's a truly sensational time and you've definitely earned some quality beers.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
So I must have missed it somewhere, but are we all wearing Brighton tops next week? If so I'll remember to pull mine out.

Voluntary I believe but makes it more interesting. If I did the NYC marathon in 3:08 I would run Hove Park naked with pure joy!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Incredible stuff, HT, a fantastic time and well done with the fund raising too.

Enjoy Brooklyn Brewery...and the rest!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here