Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Welcome to the board and the thread, Fivesteps.

How about we all share our PB? I'll start:
5K: 19:40 - Swindon Parkrun - 11th January 2014
10K: 43:26 - Calne Clock Change Challenge - 26th October 2014
Half Marathon: 1:35:00 - Swindon - 12th October 2014
Marathon: n/a - Ask me after Brighton 2015

Bit disappointed I haven't improved on my 5K time, but I've been focusing more on (very slowly) increasing my distances. Extremely optimistic goals for 2015 are a sub 19 minute 5K, sub 42 10K and a sub 1:30 half marathon. But given that I also swim and bike, not sure I'll be able to dedicate enough time and effort to achieve either of these, let alone have the ability.

5k - 21:03 - 6 days ago Hove Park Run
10k - 45:45 - 23/10/14 training run
Half Marathon - 1:43:44 Brighton 2014
Marathon - 3:55:27 Brighton 2014

If I stay fit next year I can see all 4 PB's being improved.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Only half an hour so I will stick to that advice too. I always had a drink with me when I ran before but that was in Asia, not Hove in November. Just over 2 and a half miles in that time which I wouldn't have got near before and 300 calories burned which is good as we're out at a racenight tonight!

Couple of quid in a pocket for emergency drink is always a good idea (just don't buy chocolate on your way home). Also it's not 'only' half an hour, its half an hour ! Will be an hour before long.....

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
800m 2:30 1972 Withdean
5k 17:45 1995 Riyadh
10k 39:50 1994 Riyadh
half marathon 1:38:06 Brighton 2008
Marathon 3:50:11 Brighton 2014 to be bettered next year....
ultra not done but will be a pb if I do!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
5k - 16.50 (1st 5k of Nike 10k, Hyde Park 9/05) - blew spectacularly and finished in 38.50!
10k - 36.50 (last 10 of Brighton Half Marathon 2/08)
Half - 1.20.15 (Brighton Half 2/08)
Marathon - entered 3, injured before the start every time!

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
5k - 16.50 (1st 5k of Nike 10k, Hyde Park 9/05) - blew spectacularly and finished in 38.50!

Shame about those injuries, did you have a marathon target time before you suffered them? I assume you would have been going for sub 3 hours based on your times for the half?

I'm currently sat in the office wearing calf guards (that I collected them from the post office this morning) having rather stupidly accepted a challenge to run a minimum of 5km every day of November. I've managed to average 8km so far, but my calves have been aching since about day 3! Despite having an extra day, I wish they'd picked October, it was bit bit lighter and had nicer weather!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Meanwhile, back in Amateur Tubster land......

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. New shoes will be the first thing I get when I'm paid. The park runs are a little harder as they are right when my son has football practice AND my daughter her swimming lessons. It's already a stressful time of week but who knows, I might get another parent to do the drops and pickups a couple of times. I've got to get to 5k first. On which note....

Today I went for my run at early lunchtime. I warmed up as Dazzer suggested. I had got about half a mile from the house when I realised I had no kind of drink and no kind of money with me and I was going to have to do without on route hydration. I carried on anyway and got as far as I am normally comfortable from the house when I got a dreaded stitch. Fumbled for the keys in my pocket which I gripped like a man at a Revenge after party and pushed on and it went away! Then I hit the headwind. That wasn't much fun.

Anyway, on the basis of No Pain No Gain i continued and it got easier again and I just kept going. Net result? Best distance, calories burned and time since I started again, despite being a drinkless, key-fumbling wally.

I feel great just typing this. Endorphines eh?

Good man.

I jumped back on the running thing a couple of weeks or so back. I've drifted in and out over the years and as such I know how quickly you can improve both in terms of distance and speed. Despite having not run for properly for a long time, I refuse to do less than 5k so that's where I've started at again, and I'm building from there. My average pace for c4 miles now is slower than I was running just short of half-marathon distance when I was last running, so I know I'll get faster and/or longer if I stick with it.

I've got a very addictive personality so I'm going to try and not overdo it, which I've been guilty of in the past, leading to either running too frequently and/or too far and getting injured, losing motivation and largely giving up.

I've plenty of weight to lose (again - I seem to be a bit like Oprah Winfrey) so shifting some of that will help me speed up too...

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Meanwhile, back in Amateur Tubster land......

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. New shoes will be the first thing I get when I'm paid. The park runs are a little harder as they are right when my son has football practice AND my daughter her swimming lessons. It's already a stressful time of week but who knows, I might get another parent to do the drops and pickups a couple of times. I've got to get to 5k first. On which note....

Today I went for my run at early lunchtime. I warmed up as Dazzer suggested. I had got about half a mile from the house when I realised I had no kind of drink and no kind of money with me and I was going to have to do without on route hydration. I carried on anyway and got as far as I am normally comfortable from the house when I got a dreaded stitch. Fumbled for the keys in my pocket which I gripped like a man at a Revenge after party and pushed on and it went away! Then I hit the headwind. That wasn't much fun.

Anyway, on the basis of No Pain No Gain i continued and it got easier again and I just kept going. Net result? Best distance, calories burned and time since I started again, despite being a drinkless, key-fumbling wally.

I feel great just typing this. Endorphines eh?

Good effort!

A tip for a stitch - if you get one adjust your breathing pattern so that you start to breath out at the same time as your foot on the opposite side of your body from the stitch strikes the ground.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Good man.

I jumped back on the running thing a couple of weeks or so back. I've drifted in and out over the years and as such I know how quickly you can improve both in terms of distance and speed. Despite having not run for properly for a long time, I refuse to do less than 5k so that's where I've started at again, and I'm building from there. My average pace for c4 miles now is slower than I was running just short of half-marathon distance when I was last running, so I know I'll get faster and/or longer if I stick with it.

I've got a very addictive personality so I'm going to try and not overdo it, which I've been guilty of in the past, leading to either running too frequently and/or too far and getting injured, losing motivation and largely giving up.

I've plenty of weight to lose (again - I seem to be a bit like Oprah Winfrey) so shifting some of that will help me speed up too...

Losing weight will definitely help i was told that every excess pound was worth one second per mile.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

These are fantastic times. That 80 minute half stands out especially. A sub-3 hour marathon must surely be your aim?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good effort!

A tip for a stitch - if you get one adjust your breathing pattern so that you start to breath out at the same time as your foot on the opposite side of your body from the stitch strikes the ground.

Cheers :)

*writes that down*

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Good effort!

Also good to remember that a stitch will take the same amount of time to go whether you carry on running or stop.

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Losing weight will definitely help i was told that every excess pound was worth one second per mile.

ea1201c0c20ff2ab61ec894ea7eb0b9f.jpg

Apparently 2 seconds!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Shame about those injuries, did you have a marathon target time before you suffered them? I assume you would have been going for sub 3 hours based on your times for the half?

I'm currently sat in the office wearing calf guards (that I collected them from the post office this morning) having rather stupidly accepted a challenge to run a minimum of 5km every day of November. I've managed to average 8km so far, but my calves have been aching since about day 3! Despite having an extra day, I wish they'd picked October, it was bit bit lighter and had nicer weather!

These are fantastic times. That 80 minute half stands out especially. A sub-3 hour marathon must surely be your aim?
Thanks, my cycling background gave me the engine but the body was not willing! My hip has been the main issue and is still stopping me getting properly back into it.

My half was in the build up to the Edinburgh marathon. After that half time, I was going to aim for 2.50, especially as I finished so quickly.

Unfortunately I've never run properly again... And that was over 6 years ago!

Really hoping I can change my running technique and strengthen enough to get me to a marathon in 2016.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks, my cycling background gave me the engine but the body was not willing! My hip has been the main issue and is still stopping me getting properly back into it.

My half was in the build up to the Edinburgh marathon. After that half time, I was going to aim for 2.50, especially as I finished so quickly.

Unfortunately I've never run properly again... And that was over 6 years ago!

Really hoping I can change my running technique and strengthen enough to get me to a marathon in 2016.

Have you had a look at www.chirunning.com ? Worth a fiver to read Dreyer's book. Even if you don't adopt the full 'chi' thing, lots of common sense in there re injury avoidance

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Have you had a look at www.chirunning.com ? Worth a fiver to read Dreyer's book. Even if you don't adopt the full 'chi' thing, lots of common sense in there re injury avoidance
I think you mentioned before, I had a little look but haven't got the book yet. Seems sensible stuff.

Have been careful to work on cadence and foot strike under centre of gravity. Plenty of glute strengthening as well!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Great efforts all-round from the 4 NSC park runners that met up today. Sub 21 minute times for 3 of them which was a first for me and a PB by around 8 seconds.

Hopefully this is something we can regularly complete at least once a month.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here