Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ah, thanks for the heads-up.
So much depends on the quality of the bike: I remember trundling along on my £250 Halfords thing in duathlons and being overtaken by guys on machines that looked like they had been designed by NASA!
Hope the event goes ahead.

Glad your Commando training is back on.
No problems with 🚲 it is light with ultegra gear set. The problem is the legs that power it. Zilch cycling for a year. Luckily course is 2x11 mile laps. 4 up, 4 down and 3 flat. I can train for the double long hill and make do on the other sections. Saving something for the run. Mate was cycling the Tour passes in France in the autumn but is running unfit. Will be a close finish.

My Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) takes 2 days now. Need to switch to consecutive days training.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Glad your Commando training is back on.
No problems with �� it is light with ultegra gear set. The problem is the legs that power it. Zilch cycling for a year. Luckily course is 2x11 mile laps. 4 up, 4 down and 3 flat. I can train for the double long hill and make do on the other sections. Saving something for the run. Mate was cycling the Tour passes in France in the autumn but is running unfit. Will be a close finish.

My Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) takes 2 days now. Need to switch to consecutive days training.

My god, your mate must be some cyclist. Given that the cycling leg is usually weighted disproportionately in a tri, he has a bit of an in-built advantage over you. Then there's the challenge of running after coming off the bike, but I'm assuming you've trained for that specifically (is it 'brick' training?). If I remember it's a bit like running on 2 sticks of rhubarb. Lovely to have such an event to focus on. (I used to live in Arundel, but I only ever cycled south and avoided that hill.)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well done [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] for nearly medalling in the Preston Park Virtual Magic Mile. Took advantage of the big hits being absent but kept out of a medal by Shaun Buck running downhill with a massive tailwind! He'll be happy to beat Trevor Day.
I followed advice and had a few days off running. That has developed into lazyitis and I need to turn over the legs tomorrow before they forget what to do.

Jade Elphick 5:33
Shawn Buck 5:36
Nigel Herron 6:08
[MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] 6:24
Isobel Muir 6:32
Trevor Day 6:33
John Wright 6:34
Karl Scotland 6:36
Helen Block 6:42
Jenny Hughes 6:46
Paula Blackledge 6:46
Brian Jamurath 7:03
Nicky Yeates 7:12
Brian Russell 7:20
Brian Cooper 7:25
Joel Epstein 7:49
Bob Page 7:11
Stephen Knott 7:19
Adrian Monti 7:32
Brigette Groves 8:36
John Jaap 11:46

I'll take that! It's not actually something I set out to do and only did because my Garmin flashed up with a fastest mile notification and I'd already seen the post by JJ.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
My god, your mate must be some cyclist. Given that the cycling leg is usually weighted disproportionately in a tri, he has a bit of an in-built advantage over you. Then there's the challenge of running after coming off the bike, but I'm assuming you've trained for that specifically (is it 'brick' training?). If I remember it's a bit like running on 2 sticks of rhubarb. Lovely to have such an event to focus on. (I used to live in Arundel, but I only ever cycled south and avoided that hill.)

No training as short notice. I usually get a couple of minutes on him swimming but that is curtailed to 10 lengths of “non competitive” swimming to get the BTA COVID permit.
The cycle hill is up the A road to the Biker’s Cafe and down the other A road to join A27.
I’m going to need the Vaporfly for the run! By the Black Rabbit, up a 100m hill return on the Estate, along to stunning South Stoke (my dream 18th century Rectory on the river) and back to the Lido.
Tactics, legs allowing, will be to chase him down ASAP, run alongside chattering away, rest and recover and go for home. The race will be hard to judge as our starting times will vary.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
No training as short notice. I usually get a couple of minutes on him swimming but that is curtailed to 10 lengths of “non competitive” swimming to get the BTA COVID permit.
The cycle hill is up the A road to the Biker’s Cafe and down the other A road to join A27.
I’m going to need the Vaporfly for the run! By the Black Rabbit, up a 100m hill return on the Estate, along to stunning South Stoke (my dream 18th century Rectory on the river) and back to the Lido.
Tactics, legs allowing, will be to chase him down ASAP, run alongside chattering away, rest and recover and go for home. The race will be hard to judge as our starting times will vary.

Great stuff. I looked at the results from 2019. A couple of the 'Super Vets' did amazing times! Have you got a target time or is it simply a head-to-head victory that is the objective?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Anyone got any good tips of treating, and then avoiding, blisters? My new runners resulted in a blister on the ball of my foot a good 1.25 inches long. I let it heal but then it happened again (not as bad as it was a shorter run). It's nearly healed again so I'm planning on going out in a couple of days but don't really want to have the same issue. I have bought some blister prevention pads (no idea if they are any use or not - guess i'll find out) and i always apply Vaseline to blister prone areas before setting off but I was wandering if the more experienced of you had any other suggestions?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Anyone got any good tips of treating, and then avoiding, blisters? My new runners resulted in a blister on the ball of my foot a good 1.25 inches long. I let it heal but then it happened again (not as bad as it was a shorter run). It's nearly healed again so I'm planning on going out in a couple of days but don't really want to have the same issue. I have bought some blister prevention pads (no idea if they are any use or not - guess i'll find out) and i always apply Vaseline to blister prone areas before setting off but I was wandering if the more experienced of you had any other suggestions?

Back in my prior running life, when I suffered with similar, I used Hilly Twin Skin socks >>> https://amzn.to/33fDJ8k

As the name suggests, the socks are double layer so I'm assuming the theory is that the layer against your skin stays put and doesn't rub, causing blisters. They certainly seemed to work for me anyway.

I don't seem to suffer in the same way these days, so use any old socks, but I do still have the Twin Skins in my drawer, just in case...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

You need to address the cause - if you're not running very long distances (ie marathons/ultras) where dehydration could be a major factor, it'll almost certainly be down to friction.If it's on the ball of your foot, I'd guess your foot is slipping in the shoe a bit (when pushing off, or going downhill most likely) - are they quite loose fitting ? Best advice I ever had was from a custom-fit shoe and outsole shop who suggested not getting shoes a half or full size up (as often recommended for running) as they will lead to friction (nonsense about your feet swelling is just that - they may expand a tiny bit, but most of that will be width not length), blisters and black toenails.

If you have fairly snug-fitting shoes and a thin, wicking sock (Nike Drymax, XSocks or similar) then you really shouldn't get any issues - but as [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] suggests Hilly TwinSkins can be a great help if you are getting blisters (theory being the two layers deal with most of the friction by rubbing against each other, rather than your skin)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is anyone else having major issues with Strava today? The “look” was refreshed a short while ago, I had an email
about this, and now I get nothing but a red “Something went wrong” error message and a code when I try and go into the app.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just logged out and can’t get in now. Sigh.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is anyone else having major issues with Strava today? The “look” was refreshed a short while ago, I had an email
about this, and now I get nothing but a red “Something went wrong” error message and a code when I try and go into the app.

Yeah, it's ****ed today.

That it's the same day they've released a major update is probably not coincidental.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah, it's ****ed today.

That it's the same day they've released a major update is probably not coincidental.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Annoying as I posted my fastest time in a long while this morning :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here