Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Ooops sorry. The Weakest Link is one of the best running events of the year and pretty much follows the same route -its a semi-competitive team event and lots of fun. NSC runners have entered teams in the last few years and some have performed creditably!

Details here https://www.brightonsports.co.uk/theweakestlink

The Gaffer - [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] does a fantastic job of organising us each year - so good that we all feel he should carry on doing it - and no doubt will start posting for 'expressions of interest ' shortly.

Seriously - its great fun and a chance to enjoy a couple of beers afterwards with others on here.

Thank you. I'm learning!

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020
Ooops sorry. The Weakest Link is one of the best running events of the year and pretty much follows the same route -its a semi-competitive team event and lots of fun. NSC runners have entered teams in the last few years and some have performed creditably!

Details here https://www.brightonsports.co.uk/theweakestlink

The Gaffer - [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] does a fantastic job of organising us each year - so good that we all feel he should carry on doing it - and no doubt will start posting for 'expressions of interest ' shortly.

Seriously - its great fun and a chance to enjoy a couple of beers afterwards with others on here.

This looks so so good!

What's the course like, hilly etc? How has NSC faired in the past time-wise? - I looked at 2019 results and looked like the winner was 42:22, trying to work out how that compares to a parkrun. Assuming you have 4 x sub 19 / 20 min park run runners, you'd be up there? - haha although that must be so tough for runner 4, assuming they have to go again right away?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
This looks so so good!

What's the course like, hilly etc? How has NSC faired in the past time-wise? - I looked at 2019 results and looked like the winner was 42:22, trying to work out how that compares to a parkrun. Assuming you have 4 x sub 19 / 20 min park run runners, you'd be up there? - haha although that must be so tough for runner 4, assuming they have to go again right away?

its a circuit of Dukes Mound so has two climbs - the first is pretty tough. A quick look at 2018/19 results shows NSC Ego's in 10th place was our best result in 51:06. That team that ran 42mins were some top runners. I think that year we organised the teams to have the fastest in one team. I think the next year we may have tried to have three even teams (I may have missed this one). Yes - you're right the fourth leg is the toughest as its a continuous 5k rather than 2x2.5k with a break.

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020
its a circuit of Dukes Mound so has two climbs - the first is pretty tough. A quick look at 2018/19 results shows NSC Ego's in 10th place was our best result in 51:06. That team that ran 42mins were some top runners. I think that year we organised the teams to have the fastest in one team. I think the next year we may have tried to have three even teams (I may have missed this one). Yes - you're right the fourth leg is the toughest as its a continuous 5k rather than 2x2.5k with a break.

Winning team right here with my predicted times :)

Artie Fufkin: 16:55 = (8 mins)
Blue & White: 17:05 = (8 mins)
Ninja Elephant: 17:49 = (8.30 mins)
Big Nuts: 18:25 = (9 mins)
Combined: 10 mins

= 43.30

Vaporfly's: - 2 mins

Winning time: 41.30 mins

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

= 43.30

You’re welcome to take my job😁. My resignation was offered 4 years ago but the ******** won’t take it.
A few factors need to be considered for your calculations.
1. The course is 1.6 miles (.1 of a mile for the required 2 legs). This adds 20-30 secs.
2. Running up the cliff behind the marina knocks anyone’s time. 30 secs each leg inc. hill start.
3. If you get those 4 together at 6:30pm on a Wednesday night in June you’re a lucky man.
4. All previous fast winning times would have been top Club runners in racing flats.Vaporfly wouldn’t add much.
5. Some are more concerned with not paying than performance. [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] still owes £2 from 2016.
6. In your favour time wise, a few are running faster this year and have the right man for each leg and you won’t lose much time on the group leg 5.

Hopefully we’ll all meet you in June!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
2. Running up the cliff behind the marina knocks anyone’s time. 30 secs each leg inc. hill start.

True story; I was cycling up that slope a year or so ago, and was overtaken by a bloke running, pushing a baby in a buggy!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
True story; I was cycling up that slope a year or so ago, and was overtaken by a bloke running, pushing a baby in a buggy!

One of my favourite games when running up hills on the Downs is to overtake mountain bikers going the same way.

It puts a big target on my back when we reach a subsequent downhill section, but it's good fun regardless.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

= 43.30

I like that team and like even more I’d take lap 1 and join again for 5.

That being said I enjoyed just us much the year we tried to even the teams out. It was nice to run with different people and as always the beers after are the best part.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I like that team and like even more I’d take lap 1 and join again for 5.

That being said I enjoyed just us much the year we tried to even the teams out. It was nice to run with different people and as always the beers after are the best part.

If I hang on to my post, the plan for the next Relay would be to have an A team of our top 4 and then maybe mix up the other teams.

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020
You’re welcome to take my job😁. My resignation was offered 4 years ago but the ******** won’t take it.
A few factors need to be considered for your calculations.
1. The course is 1.6 miles (.1 of a mile for the required 2 legs). This adds 20-30 secs.
3. If you get those 4 together at 6:30pm on a Wednesday night in June you’re a lucky man.
4. All previous fast winning times would have been top Club runners in racing flats.Vaporfly wouldn’t add much.
5. Some are more concerned with not paying than performance. [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] still owes £2 from 2016.
6. In your favour time wise, a few are running faster this year and have the right man for each leg and you won’t lose much time on the group leg 5.

Hopefully we’ll all meet you in June!

Definitely not after a job, and amazing effort for all your work on this. I just got really excited about the format and was playing fantasy football with the NSC running table.

I was however using PB's, but also being quite conservative on the pro-rated time (really just splitting 5km time in half), I reckon with some of the current running form, that could also include the extra 2 mins or be close.

To test my experiment, I'll be a betting man and venmo the entry for this or a similar all-star squad based on the league table, and stick 50 quid behind the bar if they hit top 3 :)

I reckon a revised table might also put a few others like Bozza close to this team as well.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
This looks so so good!

It is quality. The NSC team is invariably really good, properly pushes you.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Definitely not after a job, and amazing effort for all your work on this. I just got really excited about the format and was playing fantasy football with the NSC running table.

I was however using PB's, but also being quite conservative on the pro-rated time (really just splitting 5km time in half), I reckon with some of the current running form, that could also include the extra 2 mins or be close.

To test my experiment, I'll be a betting man and venmo the entry for this or a similar all-star squad based on the league table, and stick 50 quid behind the bar if they hit top 3 :)

I reckon a revised table might also put a few others like Bozza close to this team as well.

The time you picked out is 4” faster than the usual winners and was a team consisting of an England International and all from the AB training group. https://mobile.twitter.com/bonifacemassage?lang=en

To race to win the Weakest Link Relay is against the general ethos but ok if a team wants too.. It’s about each team giving it’s all. The best of Sussex runners participate but rarely group together.
In 2016 Ninja, Bobkin and myself got Richard Clayton in our team. That years Bright10 winner in 55” and after running with us he represented England in a 5k in NI. (Was also a buggy runner at Parkruns then).

If our top team of 40+ year old runners finish top 3, they would not have faced any competition but could enjoy the buzz of dragging each other through a fun evening.

See you there!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The time you picked out is 4” faster than the usual winners and was a team consisting of an England International and all from the AB training group. https://mobile.twitter.com/bonifacemassage?lang=en

To race to win the Weakest Link Relay is against the general ethos but ok if a team wants too.. It’s about each team giving it’s all. The best of Sussex runners participate but rarely group together.
In 2016 Ninja, Bobkin and myself got Richard Clayton in our team. That years Bright10 winner in 55” and after running with us he represented England in a 5k in NI. (Was also a buggy runner at Parkruns then).

If our top team of 40+ year old runners finish top 3, they would not have faced any competition but could enjoy the buzz of dragging each other through a fun evening.

See you there!

I\d say the majority of teams don't take it TOO seriously. Even the Arena mob mix it up to have mixed ability in there.

Am I right in thinking we were neck and neck with a Phoenix team one year, who were pretty handy?

I'm sure that this year's Egos team would be very strong and could challenge for it. I'm more than happy to watch that battle from a distance though and settle for mid-table mediocrity or even a last-minute climb out of the bottom three :lolol:

In all seriousness, it is a fantastic event – there's nothing like it around here or that I've seen anywhere else. So many familiar faces in the field and there's always someone to chase down ahead of you on your lap (or someone chasing YOU down!).

I'm interested to see how the Lagoon even pans out. No chance of any hills on *that* one!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Took a rest day today, to break my longest ever run streak of 9 days!

As impressive as Frank Stapleton’s debut for us in comparison to some of the others this year and last but, I have a strong respect to those who’s bodies can hold up to it.

I could have run today, but just felt I’d benefit more from a day off. Looking to get a decent weekend of running in with some quicker stuff tomorrow and a longer run on the Downs Sunday. Some really good running weather, but not so good sitting in a pub drinking weather, so hang overs should be minimal.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
One of my favourite games when running up hills on the Downs is to overtake mountain bikers going the same way.

It puts a big target on my back when we reach a subsequent downhill section, but it's good fun regardless.

I was out plodding last week on a flattish/downhill bit and had some **** come up behind me and shout ‘coming through’ and he toddled past on his bike and smugly said ‘thanks, keep plodding’........it was just before a long, slow drag of about 3/4 of a mile......so about a minute or two later I caught him up...and waited until I was about a yard behind him and bellowed ‘coming through’ :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well done [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] for nearly medalling in the Preston Park Virtual Magic Mile. Took advantage of the big hits being absent but kept out of a medal by Shaun Buck running downhill with a massive tailwind! He'll be happy to beat Trevor Day.
I followed advice and had a few days off running. That has developed into lazyitis and I need to turn over the legs tomorrow before they forget what to do.

Jade Elphick 5:33
Shawn Buck 5:36
Nigel Herron 6:08
[MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] 6:24
Isobel Muir 6:32
Trevor Day 6:33
John Wright 6:34
Karl Scotland 6:36
Helen Block 6:42
Jenny Hughes 6:46
Paula Blackledge 6:46
Brian Jamurath 7:03
Nicky Yeates 7:12
Brian Russell 7:20
Brian Cooper 7:25
Joel Epstein 7:49
Bob Page 7:11
Stephen Knott 7:19
Adrian Monti 7:32
Brigette Groves 8:36
John Jaap 11:46

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just noticed they've pulled the Worthing 10K. Now October 10th. https://www.worthing10k.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR2YnE-wMS2gORWDqNnoogA6n9YB4VWL1nxR0OwIsSk8xWyGbbJQiZdj7jg [MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION] can now have time to build up the dodgy knee. I'll probably be away, if travel is permitted.
Can now focus on the Arundel tri in 2 weeks. Covid permit yet to be given. Swim is now a not worth getting wet or training for 10 lengths but the 22 miles cycling needs a bit of prep. The 9.4k run is challenging as it runs up a 100m hill and I'll be chasing down my rival who'll thrash me on the bike.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Just noticed they've pulled the Worthing 10K. Now October 10th. https://www.worthing10k.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR2YnE-wMS2gORWDqNnoogA6n9YB4VWL1nxR0OwIsSk8xWyGbbJQiZdj7jg [MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION] can now have time to build up the dodgy knee. I'll probably be away, if travel is permitted.
Can now focus on the Arundel tri in 2 weeks. Covid permit yet to be given. Swim is now a not worth getting wet or training for 10 lengths but the 22 miles cycling needs a bit of prep. The 9.4k run is challenging as it runs up a 100m hill and I'll be chasing down my rival who'll thrash me on the bike.

Ah, thanks for the heads-up.

I had my first run for a while yesterday. A tentative amble of 3 miles. Today I ran 2 miles: 1 @ 8.45 pace and the second @9.45. Mind you, these were done wearing a 20lb vest and in between the two I managed 300 squats 200 press ups and 100 pull ups (in 1.06.46). This is the cross fit stuff (the dreaded 'Murph' and the first time I've managed it with the extra weight) I've bored you with before. So I'm in reasonable non running shape. Talking of which, good luck on the bike training. So much depends on the quality of the bike: I remember trundling along on my £250 Halfords thing in duathlons and being overtaken by guys on machines that looked like they had been designed by NASA!
Hope the event goes ahead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here