Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020
Loving my new Saucony Endorphin speed (got the recommendation whilst lurking on here) really comfortable.

I'm now using:

Long slower run > Brooks Ghost 12
Tempo > Saucony Endorphin Speed
Speed / trying to PB > Nike Alphafly % (limiting use as I felt a bit sick about the purchase price)

What's your current go-to / rotation?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Disappointing news. My Garmin 735 has had accuracy problems at Withdean. Giving a 30 second faster mile pace than I actually run. Have changed setting to GPS+Glonass for next week and will wear my old Garmin35 to cross check. Wondered how I ran faster than the Gasson on Strava whilst finishing 200 metres behind him over 4 miles!

Meanwhile this morning was cross training.
CBBA394C-BDF4-4B75-B68D-E58553713013.jpeg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Loving my new Saucony Endorphin speed (got the recommendation whilst lurking on here) really comfortable.

I'm now using:

Speed / trying to PB > Nike Alphafly % (limiting use as I felt a bit sick about the purchase price)

I only have eyes for Nike...

Daily trainers: Pegasus 36, Pegasus 37, Vomero 14, Structure 23
Going for it: Zoom Fly 3, Pegasus Turbo, Tempo Next%, Vaporfly Next% 2
Long and slow: React Miler
Short and snappy: Streak 7
Trail: Terra Kiger 6, Terra Kiger 7, Wildhorse 6

(I've not used the Vaporflys yet and, as a non-racer, it feels a bit extravagant so they may go back)

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Disappointing news. My Garmin 735 has had accuracy problems at Withdean. Giving a 30 second faster mile pace than I actually run. Have changed setting to GPS+Glonass for next week and will wear my old Garmin35 to cross check. Wondered how I ran faster than the Gasson on Strava whilst finishing 200 metres behind him over 4 miles!

Meanwhile this morning was cross training.
View attachment 135992

My Garmin doesn't cope with laps very well either. I'm not sure how bad it is but I'd estimate 30-45 seconds over 5k. Like yours it makes me look faster than I really am. I f*cking love it!*

*For a small fee I'll make it available to anyone who is looking for a PB but can't be arsed to put in the training,

Last edited:

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020
Wow, that is a tasty selection.

What's your fav out of the daily trainers?

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
NN Mission Marathon on BBC (red button) live at the moment. Kipchoge leading.......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/athletics/56747027

A bit late to this but it was an absolute pleasure to watch the GOAT on Sunday. It was more an exhibition event than a race as the quality of the field wasn't particularly stellar (it was Kipchoge's Spring warm up marathon to prepare for the Olympics) but watching him make it look easy cruising to a 2:04:30 was a joy. He's back from his blip in London last October and set up for the Olympics in August.

I hope he wins in Sapporo to make it back to back two time Olympic Gold. I think he might then call it a day. :( There's some unbelievably quick younger guys catching up fast.

I wonder if we'll ever see anyone better though? Going under 2 hours in race conditions will happen one day in the future, but he'll still be considered the greatest marathoner of all time for many many years to come I think. What an incredible athlete and inspirational human being. :bowdown:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hi guys - quick question. Last Tuesday I felt a twinge in the back of my thigh while out on a relaxed run, so gave the running a rest for the remainder of the week. It felt better and I didn't give it much more thought. Went out for a run today and it did the same thing at the 5k mark. I've not had any problems with my hamstrings or any other muscles really in 5+ years of running, so wondered if anyone had any tips? Could it be my shoes? They're reaching the end of their milage now, about 750km although they don't look too worn to be fair...

Impossible for anyone to tell really.................unlikely to be your shoes causing it though. Most likely - given it's coming on after a few km - to be either a knot (impinging movement of the muscle), or a small pull/tear. Ideally get to a physio or massage therapist as without a proper diagnosis it's difficult to know what to do to fix it - failing that, try (gentle at first) hammy stretches (loads online to try) and self-massage (use something like a tennis ball on the offending spot - look up 'trigger point massage' on youtube to see what to do)

If it is a pull/tear, a week wouldn't be enough for it to heal properly so you might need to give it another couple of weeks - you might also be risking making a small tear a great big one if this is the case and you carry on running...............take it v easy when coming back

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

I'm now using:

Excellent choice! Glad you're liking them. Incredible shoe. :thumbsup:

Current shoe rotation (I love all of the below):

Daily trainer - Asics Novablast / Hoka Mach 4 / New Balance 1080v10 (3rd pair)
Tempo / Intervals - Brooks Hyperion Tempo / Saucony Endorphin Speed / Nike Pegasus Turbo 2 (3rd pair)
Long run - Saucony Endorphin Speed for specific long run work / one of the above daily trainers for relaxed long runs
Racing (it's been a while) 5k > Marathon - Nike Vaporfly NEXT%

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Wow, that is a tasty selection.

What's your fav out of the daily trainers?

I'd struggle to pick a pair, although I've really quite enjoyed the Structures, which are my newest road shoe.

The 36s and the Vomeros are now around 18 months old and up to 459 and 518 miles respectively so approaching end-of-life, particularly as I'm a weighty chap and don't go easy on my shoes!

But here's a thing. I went out for my run on Sunday, just after 9pm. I'd been hungover AF all day, so put it off repeatedly. I was tired, lethargic and had just eaten my bodyweight in pizza. I was expecting a very ploddy run, so put on the Peg 36s.

I ran 10 miles @ 7:13/mile pace without really feeling like I was pushing. My half-marathon best, run in the Tempo Next%, equates to 7:14/mile. So, expecting to have a rubbish run and wearing rather old knackered shoes, I was on for a HM PB if I'd realised and carried on. All of which has me wondering what I might be able to do if feeling on form and wearing the Vaporfly!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
My weekly run today was for an hour. An increase of 5 minutes from last week. At the half-way point of my 55 minute run last week, I'd reached about 30 yards short of Ovingdean roundabout. After 27.5 minutes today, I'd got past the roundabout and another hundred yards, even though I thought I was running at my usual comfortable pace.
After 30 minutes today, I'd reached the entrance to the old Rottingdean Golf Course. I must run at a consistent pace as when my hour was up, I was back at exactly the point where I started from.
This may sound obvious, but for the return journey, if I'd have slowed down, I wouldn't have reached my starting point when my hour was up, or I'd have over-shot if I'd have sped up.

Attachments

• Run Rot Wind 20.4.21.JPG
    Run Rot Wind 20.4.21.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 86

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020

Tempo / Intervals - Brooks Hyperion Tempo / Saucony Endorphin Speed / Nike Pegasus Turbo 2 (3rd pair)
Long run - Saucony Endorphin Speed for specific long run work / one of the above daily trainers for relaxed long runs

Wow! amazing rotation and like the mix of brands :) also thanks for the Saucony tip! Have you tried the Saucony Endorphin Professional? curious how they compare.

I might give the Nike Pegasus Turbo a go.

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020
I'd struggle to pick a pair, although I've really quite enjoyed the Structures, which are my newest road shoe.

The 36s and the Vomeros are now around 18 months old and up to 459 and 518 miles respectively so approaching end-of-life, particularly as I'm a weighty chap and don't go easy on my shoes!

But here's a thing. I went out for my run on Sunday, just after 9pm. I'd been hungover AF all day, so put it off repeatedly. I was tired, lethargic and had just eaten my bodyweight in pizza. I was expecting a very ploddy run, so put on the Peg 36s.

I ran 10 miles @ 7:13/mile pace without really feeling like I was pushing. My half-marathon best, run in the Tempo Next%, equates to 7:14/mile. So, expecting to have a rubbish run and wearing rather old knackered shoes, I was on for a HM PB if I'd realised and carried on. All of which has me wondering what I might be able to do if feeling on form and wearing the Vaporfly!

I'll take a look a the 36's if they allow me to run that speed with a hangover! - I reckon you'd hit sub 7 per mile in the vaporfly. I think you need to do that challenge!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Out of interest/noseyness, how much do you spend on running shoes in an average year?

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Wow! amazing rotation and like the mix of brands :) also thanks for the Saucony tip! Have you tried the Saucony Endorphin Professional? curious how they compare.

I might give the Nike Pegasus Turbo a go.

I haven't tried the Endorphin Pro but it's very popular and supposed to be great. It's Saucony's carbon fibre plated road racing shoe. The Endorphin Speed is their nylon plated training shoe, although you could definitely race in it. I find the nylon plate is a more subtle feel and ride vs carbon plate to get the training miles in but still gives similar energy return.

I'm a big fan of the Nike Pegasus Turbo 2. Unfortunately I think they're going to discontinue it with the recent launch of the Nike Pegasus Tempo NEXT%, but I think you can still find it in some places.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'll take a look a the 36's if they allow me to run that speed with a hangover! - I reckon you'd hit sub 7 per mile in the vaporfly. I think you need to do that challenge!

The 36 is two years old now, superseded by the 37 and the newly-launched 38 has just become available on Nike's website >>> https://www.nike.com/gb/t/air-zoom-pegasus-38-running-shoe-zjCLRs/CW7356-003

The 37 is widely available and you may see some 36s here and there still.

One thing I'd say, is I never pay full price for my shoes, even the new ones. Nike themselves have a rotating series of offers...

- General sale (stuff drifts in and out of this all the time)
- 20/30% off full-price items. This can be good for newly-released stuff at a discount, although the discount tends not to work on the very top-end stuff such as Vaporfly and Alphafly.
- 20/30% off sale items. This can be great to pick up general running kit - shorts and shirts and, sometimes if you get in quick, some decent shoes at great prices. You do need to be quick because the good stuff in common sizes goes quickly.

Beyond that, the 25% "birthday discount" they offer is great as it does generally work on the top-end stuff, so you can get Vaporfly at a discount which is otherwise unheard of, so it's well worth registering and, possibly, registering others in your household if their birthdays fall at different times of the year! They tend to extend the discount out a fair bit if you haven't used it, so if you know something is about to release, you can generally wait.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Out of interest/noseyness, how much do you spend on running shoes in an average year?

I'm not sure really. I usually have about 6 or 7 pairs of shoes in rotation and if I'm liking them and they hold up well I'll take them to around 500 miles. Having a few pairs on the go extends the life of them. At a guess I'd say I pick up a new pair of something on average every 8 weeks. Shoes are expensive and it can sometimes be a bit hit & miss so when I find a shoe that I really like I buy a new pair of the exact same shoe again usually on discount.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Still smarting from my over fast Garmin track readings at Withdean but had a nice pick up this morning.
Went into the local health food shop where a young french couple said " Ahh tu es un marvelous runnerrh. Nous saw tu en le prom. You are professional, oui?
Even better all said in front of the owner Eamonn who is the big, Irish lad we have as the ringer in the Weakest Link relays. His face was a joy.
Much better than finishing last in my track group on Mondays and failing to make any noticeable gains in the NSC Strava table....... Je suis un professional!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here