Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Not fast, NOT FAST? I think you need to reappraise this with reference to what some of us are recording. We are not all Artie's and the like! Have some respect for the slow lard arses of this world:laugh:

Sorry, Normal Rob. Pace is objective, the adjectives we use to describe it are subjective. So I meant not as fast as I think I could have run it. Were there a database of NSC runners' paces for say 3 miles/5 k, I reckon that a 7.37 mile pace it would be about the median. But that probably doesn't make you feel any better, though! Nothing wrong with being a slow, lard arse.:bowdown:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Running feels difficult at the moment. Had a weird reaction to Covid jab so took some days off last week then unwisely ran 10 miles on my first run back, now my legs just won't get me up the hills. No matter, will plod on for a while.

Larry Boyd

Banned
Feb 25, 2021
Could anyone on here offer any advice and how to increase my pace? For a 7-8 mile run I'm averaging 10.35 - 10.58 a mile, I would love to do the Brighton Half in less than 2 hours, any tips on how I could get my pace to 9 min miles please?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Could anyone on here offer any advice and how to increase my pace? For a 7-8 mile run I'm averaging 10.35 - 10.58 a mile, I would love to do the Brighton Half in less than 2 hours, any tips on how I could get my pace to 9 min miles please?

Mix up your training - to run faster you need to, er, run faster........and yes it can be hard, but good fun too.

Don’t need to be too scientific - instead of doing every run at the same pace, do one or two runs a week where you do intervals. These can be anything from (or a mix of) 100m repeats to 2-3 km or even more. If you’re 7-8 mile run is at, say, 60% effort try running longer intervals at 70-75%, and as the intervals shorten, increase the effort level.

Ladders are good......try a reducing ladder (it’s mentally easier to have the intervals lessening) - warm up for 15 mins as you run now, then run 6 mins hard, recover (walk/jog 3 mins) then 5 mins hard (walk/jog 2.5 mins), 4 mins etc.....

Larry Boyd

Banned
Feb 25, 2021
Mix up your training - to run faster you need to, er, run faster........and yes it can be hard, but good fun too.

Don’t need to be too scientific - instead of doing every run at the same pace, do one or two runs a week where you do intervals. These can be anything from (or a mix of) 100m repeats to 2-3 km or even more. If you’re 7-8 mile run is at, say, 60% effort try running longer intervals at 70-75%, and as the intervals shorten, increase the effort level.

Ladders are good......try a reducing ladder (it’s mentally easier to have the intervals lessening) - warm up for 15 mins as you run now, then run 6 mins hard, recover (walk/jog 3 mins) then 5 mins hard (walk/jog 2.5 mins), 4 mins etc.....

Thanks so much taking the trouble to reply Dazzer. I'll give that a try. Cheers.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Thanks so much taking the trouble to reply Dazzer. I'll give that a try. Cheers.

Also consider adding some hills into your training (if you don’t already do so), you’ll get stronger and hence quicker on the flat. Also some gym work and core/upper body strength training can take the burden off your legs and make you faster.
Finally - parkrun when it returns - hopefully June 5th - it’s NOT a race but everyone gets quicker!

Larry Boyd

Banned
Feb 25, 2021
Also consider adding some hills into your training (if you don’t already do so), you’ll get stronger and hence quicker on the flat. Also some gym work and core/upper body strength training can take the burden off your legs and make you faster.
Finally - parkrun when it returns - hopefully June 5th - it’s NOT a race but everyone gets quicker!

Thanks Simgull. Good advice to take on board, much appreciated.

D

Deleted member 2719

I have some advice Lazza, don't listen to me regarding running, I am still in my infantcy, these boys are proper running machines.
They eat, drink and smoke running.

My only advice would be slipstream a doubledecker bus.:)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I take it you boyz have seen this, but just in case

[tweet]1377139766827749388[/tweet]

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I'm thinking of getting a smartwatch to use when running. I'd like one that works seamlessly with my Strava account but i'm getting a little confused when looking at the market. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice? Ideally one that's under £100, but I could go higher if needed. TIA.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Garmin Forerunner 35 is 90 quid on Amazon currently and will do the job perfectly well. I found having a smartwatch did a great job in motivating me to step up a notch (admittedly from a lowly position) so would defintely encourage you to get one.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I take it you boyz have seen this, but just in case

I’m the one who tips a cup of sticky blue Gatorade instead of water over his head after 20 miles of the Warsaw marathon - D’Oh!

:lolol: sticky....

It's certainly a skill to collecting and drinking a cup while running that I'm yet to nail.

I've got better at receiving the cup (I always point at the person at the drinks station to get their attention and to let them know I'm planning to take their cup) but I usually I either choke on the water or all the water has spilt out by the time I go to drink. Bottles are so much easier.

Drinks stations are typically a pretty fraught experience overall. You always have to be careful of the guys that suddenly decide to run across from the other side of the station and take a few runners out as they cross over.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I've always been a Nike trainer fan for exercise - and been using some Juniper Trails for running my 5km-10km runs at the moment, mix of off and on-road. They have been OK but I Think going half a size up was a mistake as I seem to get a blister point on the inside of my feet where some fabric folds back over (I Think) - is the rule of thumb to go half a size up not accurate?

Also concerned about historic knee injuries and the juniper trails lack of cushioning. Should I also look at some Zoom Fly or Vapour Fly as well? I know someone who trained and ran a marathon in a month (3h15m !!) using the Zoom Flys and seemed impressed with them.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Some very sound advice from dazzer (as always). To get a visual idea of the benefits of changing up the effort levels and managing the amount of stress on your body in running I'd recommend listening to the legendary running coach Dr. Jack Daniels where he explains the principles of training in this video from one of his seminars.

He breaks it down into 4 elements which can each be tweaked to change the level of stress which in turn changes the stimulus - the amount of work (running time), intensity (effort), recovery time (rest) and the frequency (number of workouts).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m63Cwdubuf4

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I agree with Simgull. I firmly believe that my speed improvements (HM PB 1:46:31 this time last year, 1:34:48 now and I suspect I have a c1:30:00 in me when I next try) comes from spending a fair bit of time slogging up muddy hills on the trails.

Flat roads are a piece of piss after doing that!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've always been a Nike trainer fan for exercise - and been using some Juniper Trails for running my 5km-10km runs at the moment, mix of off and on-road. They have been OK but I Think going half a size up was a mistake as I seem to get a blister point on the inside of my feet where some fabric folds back over (I Think) - is the rule of thumb to go half a size up not accurate?

Also concerned about historic knee injuries and the juniper trails lack of cushioning. Should I also look at some Zoom Fly or Vapour Fly as well? I know someone who trained and ran a marathon in a month (3h15m !!) using the Zoom Flys and seemed impressed with them.

I've generally been a 10 in shoes most of my adult life, but every single one of 13 pairs of Nike running shoes are 10.5 and they're all spot on - Nike seem to size consistently. I don't have the Junipers but do have, or have had, Wildhorse 6, Pegasus Trail 2 and Terra Kiger 6 and 7.

I love the Zoom Fly 3, but they are a bit of a Marmite shoe based on other reviews I've seen/read. They're definitely a shoe designed to put some effort in and not a daily trainer. I wouldn't advise having them as your only pair of road shoes - check out the Pegasus 37 for that - some colourways on offer at a good price.

The Invincible Run seems to have been well received - it's the first time Nike have put a load of ZoomX cushioning into a non-race shoe. I couldn't justify the outlay though, maybe you can.

Slightly cheaper, Nike marketed the Infinity Run as an injury-prevention shoe - the second version if out now >>> React Infinity Run 2. The first iteration is on offer now and is probably the value buy right now >>> React Infinity Run.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've been put in with the second womens wave for Easter Monday's 5k at Ardingly.:blush:
First 60 seeded in the wave are female, then me, just 30 men make up the 150.
So I'm no.1 seed for the men in the last wave and will try to finish as first male in wave. I'm sure I'll have no problem keeping my social distance behind the first 60 women including Caroline Wood..
Looking forward to being in a race again and getting the adrenaline going even if it is forecast to be 8 degrees, north wind and hail shower as I start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here