Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
On the dekstop version of Strava, you can view the "flybys" of people who were active in similar areas at similar times. This used to be on for everyone by default, but Strava turned it off by default for privacy reasons.

Anyway, yes, I almost certainly looked at the flyby of my run that Sunday morning and saw yours. Checking again now, assuming you are N, it looks as though we very nearly met. You were heading up to Chanctonbury and I was on my way down and had just turned right off the SDW onto the trail back to Cissbury...

View attachment 135333

Yup - that was me. A near miss!

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Anyone else relate to Ben Connor trying to navigate stairs after running a marathon? :wave: :) The DOMS.... He did just run at an average of 5 min/mile pace. :mad:

[tweet]1375449250486697990[/tweet]

Tough day for Tom Evans who spent the night in hospital for observation after collapsing 22 miles in. A stark reminder that the marathon is not to be taken lightly.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ouch. By something of an unfortunate coincidence, Mrs GNT dragged me to the allotment yesterday and ordered me to dig for victory. Tweaked the back but still stupid enough to have a run this morning doing hill repeats in the cemetery. Funnily enough it felt worse afterwards. (I think I was inspired by Chris Thompson's wonderful win the the Olympic trail - but he probably wasn't digging his allotment yesterday.)

Digging the allotment is something I have under control. I try to not dig for more than 30” in a day and do it very carefully. This week I’ve 8 x 12’ rows of potatoes to put in and after 3 today in prepared furrows will be doing the others one row a day.
Still recovering from the sanding but should get out tomorrow to do 3x1 mile intervals at 6:45 to 7:00 pace. If not I’m looking at last place on Easter Monday.😀

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Digging the allotment is something I have under control. I try to not dig for more than 30” in a day and do it very carefully. This week I’ve 8 x 12’ rows of potatoes to put in and after 3 today in prepared furrows will be doing the others one row a day.
Still recovering from the sanding but should get out tomorrow to do 3x1 mile intervals at 6:45 to 7:00 pace. If not I’m looking at last place on Easter Monday.😀

Back still giving me grief, I'm afraid. Hoping to get out for a run when the sun (finally) comes out on Tuesday.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I ran from the Volks Railway terminal by the pier to just past the King Alfred and back this afternoon. Lovely and sunny, not too crowded on the top prom and the aroma of 'erb wafting up from the beaches between the piers was a scent to behold. I ran for 22.5 minutes, turned round and ran back, hence 45 minutes of continuous running. I felt great. I think (touch wood), my injury has completely gone.

Attachments

• Run KA.JPG
    Run KA.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 52

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I think that on Saturday I had the run that I'd been waiting for. I'd not drunk a drop for 2 weeks prior, it was a lovely, bright cool morning. 8 miles in to my normal Saturday 10 miler and I felt good, very good, so I kept on going. My first ever 15 miler was the result and at a pace that for me was really good considering the distance.

Screenshot_20210329-164726_Strava~2.jpg

Touching on the post a few above, I had a soak in bath salts and a lie down afterwards. Then I got up to go downstairs, stood at the top of the stairwell and thought 'i can't walk down those'

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Ran just over 10k two days on the trot, which in itself is unusual for me as I find too much of that sort of thing breaks me.

However, the Sunday run was with a friend who has just made the same cross-town move for schools we made a year ago, and as he is fairly new to running the pace was, for me, quite sedate... so I was happy to go all-in with extra pace and extra hills today. :D

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Really hard to pace in my Vaporfly as I seem to float along until the legs give up. Yesterday ran my 3x1 mile intervals at 15-30 seconds faster than 5k race pace. This included nursing an inner thigh strain for 400m (why don’t we stop) and on the last mile I stopped for a quick breather with 0.1 of a mile to go.
Bad disciplined session a week out from a race/time trial. Nothing worse than �� burning thighs today.

They are screwing up Madeira Drive this week and any intervals this summer will need to be done early morning.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Really hard to pace in my Vaporfly as I seem to float along until the legs give up.

That matches up with something I heard a running shoe vlogger - possibly Ed Budd - say recently about the Vaporflys, in that they can make running feel so effortless that they could encourage people to go too fast in the early stages of a long distance and then run out of gas.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
That matches up with something I heard a running shoe vlogger - possibly Ed Budd - say recently about the Vaporflys, in that they can make running feel so effortless that they could encourage people to go too fast in the early stages of a long distance and then run out of gas.

Means I need to follow the watch early on rather than head. Lesson learnt, until next time.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Ok tell me I’m not completely bonkers. I’ve just signed up for the Exmoor Ultra in June. 38miles and 2000m climbing.

Anyone done it before? - any tips? [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] - - got a handy training plan for me? have I consigned myself to walking up and down the tank tracks a hundred times every Sunday!

Good to have something to ‘look forward’ to at last!!!

Outside of here – and a minority of the running community – yes, you'd be considered completely bonkers. But I think it's a great idea – go for it. Never done it, but I'd suggest just following Dazzer's advice :thumbsup:

My own target of 200 miles in March was hit this morning. One day left (birthday run) and then it all starts again for an as yet undecided April challenge. I might go for a climbing target in honour of you signing up for the Ultra, Simgull...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here