Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Amusingly Chris Thompson is an On-sponsored athlete, but he ran in blacked-out Vaporflys.

I ordered the Vaporfly NEXT% 2 when they dropped yesterday morning. I'm not entirely sure why as I still don't intend to race at any point, although I guess they'll help me if I just want a speedy local run!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Buy new gear or enter a race and injury beckons.
12 years ago I used an industrial varnish on our florboards that was made to withstand infinite numbers of boots. Sanding it off yesterday has taken it's toll on my shoulders, arms, lower back, glutes and the dreaded piriformis pain in the arse. Nothing more than a few days rest needed and sitting on a knobbly roller.
On the plus side it's a job done and I'll use Osmo varnish this time. Body may have needed R&R from running too.

Ouch. By something of an unfortunate coincidence, Mrs GNT dragged me to the allotment yesterday and ordered me to dig for victory. Tweaked the back but still stupid enough to have a run this morning doing hill repeats in the cemetery. Funnily enough it felt worse afterwards. (I think I was inspired by Chris Thompson's wonderful win the the Olympic trail - but he probably wasn't digging his allotment yesterday.)

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Amusingly Chris Thompson is an On-sponsored athlete, but he ran in blacked-out Vaporflys.

I ordered the Vaporfly NEXT% 2 when they dropped yesterday morning. I'm not entirely sure why as I still don't intend to race at any point, although I guess they'll help me if I just want a speedy local run!

I think it's a great approach and smart business sense for On to let Chris decide what shoes to race in, while they try to make a bigger mark in the shoe tech arms race.

They still have Chris wearing On branded attire and they can now say they have an On supported British athlete in the Olympic Mens Marathon. Great marketing!
Nike can't say that. Pretty impressive for one of the smaller younger up and coming shoe brand players with significantly lower budgets compared to the goliaths Nike and Adidas. I think most of their budget must go straight to funding their sponsorship of Roger Federer! :lolol:

The same goes for the Irish marathon runner Stephen Scullion who is off to Japan. Under Armour let him decide what he wants to race in (he also goes for the blacked-out Vaporfly's :lolol:) but they have an UA athlete at the Olympics.

I'm not particularly a fan of their shoes but as a sports apparel & shoe brand I think they do some really smart things.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
After my successful 4.5 mins run/ 0.5 mins walk, 50 minute session yesterday, tomorrow I'm going to do my first continuous run this year. I'll aim for 30 minutes at a slow pace and if I feel good, go for a bit longer. Our football games start a week tomorrow, so if all goes well, I'll be literally up and running in my defensive role. All the gentle build up work and patience seems to have worked. Really pleased.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I was diagnosed with this late last year and have used support insoles with some relief, but I’m looking to get a new pair of everyday shoes or boots as I think my DMs might be the issue.
Any recommendations would be welcome thanks!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think most of their budget must go straight to funding their sponsorship of Roger Federer!

Federer actually made a financial investment in On a few years back, and they've just launched his first tennis shoe THE ROGER Pro (caps their's not mine).

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Federer actually made a financial investment in On a few years back, and they've just launched his first tennis shoe THE ROGER Pro (caps their's not mine).

Ah that's cool! Not a bad move to secure one of the greatest tennis players of all time and the nicest guy in the game in your camp. Those shrewd Swiss. :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was diagnosed with this late last year and have used support insoles with some relief, but I’m looking to get a new pair of everyday shoes or boots as I think my DMs might be the issue.
Any recommendations would be welcome thanks!

I had this, in both feet around 15 years ago. It was a result of ramping up my running too quickly. Very painful and I tried a few things but eventually I was given some exercises to stretch the tendon every morning, lunch and evening for 15 minutes a time. 3 different stretches per foot. This worked a treat and it has fully healed. Although it was a chore to do these exercises the pain relief post-stretch was almost immediate*, and I noticed overall improvement pretty soon after starting the programme.

The lady who fixed me was Helen Morrell, I see she still practices. She is/was something to do with Sussex cricket club as well. I can only remember one of the stretches though.

* It was agony first thing in the morning; a common complaint.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I had this, in both feet around 15 years ago. It was a result of ramping up my running too quickly. Very painful and I tried a few things but eventually I was given some exercises to stretch the tendon every morning, lunch and evening for 15 minutes a time. 3 different stretches per foot. This worked a treat and it has fully healed. Although it was a chore to do these exercises the pain relief post-stretch was almost immediate*, and I noticed overall improvement pretty soon after starting the programme.

The lady who fixed me was Helen Morrell, I see she still practices. She is/was something to do with Sussex cricket club as well. I can only remember one of the stretches though.

* It was agony first thing in the morning; a common complaint.

Nice one many thanks. And yes the pain is immense when it strikes!

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
My favourite runs are my plodding dog jogs, as the photos attached to my Strava runs probably illustrate.

However, I'm a firm believer that my speed improvements on the road largely come from the long slogs up muddy hills when out on those dog jogs. I only run from my front door and back again, and it's pretty much impossible for me to stick to flat trails.

View attachment 135266

Ha - I now realise from the picture that you're the random Strava runner from Worthing who liked my Sunday run (28th Feb) from Shoreham to Chanctonbury and back. When I clicked on the profile, I didn't recognise the bloke in all the pictures with the beard and dog. Now I do! Looks as if you ran a similar route on the same day, hence the like I guess.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Ok tell me I’m not completely bonkers. I’ve just signed up for the Exmoor Ultra in June. 38miles and 2000m climbing.

Anyone done it before? - any tips? [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] - - got a handy training plan for me? have I consigned myself to walking up and down the tank tracks a hundred times every Sunday!

Good to have something to ‘look forward’ to at last!!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ok tell me I’m not completely bonkers. I’ve just signed up for the Exmoor Ultra in June. 38miles and 2000m climbing.

Anyone done it before? - any tips? [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] - - got a handy training plan for me? have I consigned myself to walking up and down the tank tracks a hundred times every Sunday!

Not done it, but Exmoor isn’t too dramatically hilly (Dartmoor is worse)........no worse then the Downs really......you’d probably do 2000m in 38m on the SDW......a few weekends of back to back runs on the Downs will be perfect training

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I drove down one November to park 15 miles West from Lynton to where we walked to and overnighted in a B&B (they used to live in one of the roads near you coincidentally) before walking back the next day. We chose it as last minute warm up for a Himalayan Trek. Beautiful scenery and hills despite 48 hours rain. You should see the world’s best village cricket ground at the Valley of the Rocks and enjoy a pint at a pub in the middle that I forget the name.
You’ll really enjoy it and must be ready for it already with your Sunday long runs. I suppose you could target different paths down the Scarp slope from the Downs each week; Dyke to Fulking, Beacon has 4 paths up and down, Woolstonbury down to Harry’s and the Seven Sister’s return is always fun.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Though I did just spot on strava that 'someone' joined the Worthing parkrun group.

May have to change my plans for June 5th to witness this!
😉

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Inspired by yesterday's epic GB Olympic Marathon Trials I channelled my inner Chris Thompson on my 22 mile long run this morning, holding it to a comfortable effort ticking off the miles in the low 6:30s which felt really smooth, just cruising along, which I'm super happy with. Heart rate good. Always a really pleasing sign when it doesn't feel like I'm working that hard.

Today's tune for my post run warm down & mobility dynamic stretching (basically dancing with my kids :lolol:) was this RHCP classic!

Have a good weekend of running guys! ("Don't Stop, Can't Stop!") :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DyziWtkfBw

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Though I did just spot on strava that 'someone' joined the Worthing parkrun group.

May have to change my plans for June 5th to witness this!
😉

😂 I joined a couple of local groups yesterday. The main reason is to spy on other local runners for route inspiration, particularly on the trails.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ha - I now realise from the picture that you're the random Strava runner from Worthing who liked my Sunday run (28th Feb) from Shoreham to Chanctonbury and back. When I clicked on the profile, I didn't recognise the bloke in all the pictures with the beard and dog. Now I do! Looks as if you ran a similar route on the same day, hence the like I guess.

On the dekstop version of Strava, you can view the "flybys" of people who were active in similar areas at similar times. This used to be on for everyone by default, but Strava turned it off by default for privacy reasons.

Anyway, yes, I almost certainly looked at the flyby of my run that Sunday morning and saw yours. Checking again now, assuming you are N, it looks as though we very nearly met. You were heading up to Chanctonbury and I was on my way down and had just turned right off the SDW onto the trail back to Cissbury...

Screenshot 2021-03-27 at 12.12.32.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here