Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I go to a coached session, the coach is an experienced triathlete rather than a qualified running coach, but these are what he tries to get us to do:

> Don't over stride, feet should land under the body, not ahead of it. If your feet land ahead of the body you're likely to heal strike as dazzer says and it'll act as a brake.
> High cadence of around 90
> A result of the above is the feet spending more time on the ground powering you forward.
> High knees
> Lean forwards so that you start to fall and gravity helps pull you forwards.
> Push your hips forwards, you don't want your shoulders forwards and your bum sticking out.
> Elbows at 90 degree bend.
> Relaxed shoulders. One exercise we've done to help this is turn hands upwards and run like you're a waiter carrying plates.

I sometimes find when I focus on trying to achieve one thing, something else suffers. For example when I lean forwards, I find it's more difficult to get the knees high.
Thanks BA, that all makes sense. I took a week off running and just worked on gluten and running form. Felt much better yesterday, no hip pain and quicker across the ground (well, felt like it anyway!)

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I was planning an easier park run when the Bobkin eased pass me going up the hill. Not wishing to lose to a man who swims and cycles before marathons I decided to give it 100%.. Got a 21:36 finish and very pleased with that. Will try for sub 21 before the Brookes 10k.

20:49 at Hove for me which is good but not my best. Focussing on longer slower stuff now as marathon prep - well thats my excuse anyway. Also beaten by a 12 year old I know for the first time - its not fair!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Also beaten by a 12 year old I know for the first time - its not fair!

I did a PB at a marathon and was overtaken by Barney Rubble on the finish line. It took the shine off my performance.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
20:49 at Hove for me which is good but not my best. Focussing on longer slower stuff now as marathon prep - well thats my excuse anyway. Also beaten by a 12 year old I know for the first time - its not fair!

I'm up for a NSC competition run in 2 weeks time. Hove Parkrun a week before the Brighton 10k. I wont catch you yet but it will help me focus. we might see 7:18 jog round around 20 mins.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm up for a NSC competition run in 2 weeks time. Hove Parkrun a week before the Brighton 10k. I wont catch you yet but it will help me focus. we might see 7:18 jog round around 20 mins.

I might be up for this but will be in the 22-24 timespan. Albion shirts ??

horshamite

Now Saltdeanite.
Nov 16, 2010
Bupa Great South Run Weekend anyone?

I was in the local Horsham rag today.
View attachment 59613

The Green Fairy will be there tomorrow :) bgreenfinish.jpg

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
My high point of the day, doing a niggle free 10k run after a long lay off from running with a calf injury, just over 50 mins.
Then I went to football though.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares

I'll be in Brighton on 8th Nov. I've done Preston Park a few times since it's a 10 minute walk from my parent's house. Been thinking I should get along to Hove Park, this sounds like a good excuse to make the effort.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My high point of the day, doing a niggle free 10k run after a long lay off from running with a calf injury, just over 50 mins.
Then I went to football though.

Spooky. Did a 50m 10k this morning as part of recovery from a torn calf muscle..............

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Not really, every step is accompanied by a 'is it going to tear again ?' thought.......

I hear you. Today is the 1st time in 3 months that I've felt confident to run outside (as opposed to a treadmill) without worrying about the next step. So chuffed; after numerous visits to a physio I think I could be past it at last.
Stretches & more stretches!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Count me in I'll be around the 21 minute mark which seems consistent with a few others.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
How did everyone's park run go today? Was hoping to get back to it but had a late night so ran my own 5k at 10am along Hove seafront. Forgot how difficult 5k's are so much more punishing than longer distance races. Managed to shave 7 seconds of my best time so down to 21:13. Realistically I can't see myself going lower than 20:30 I'm not a naturally quick runner as anyone who has seen me play football would agree.

As knocky said, I went off ok, then faded a bit as he disappeared off into the distance. Still got 21.53, which I was happy enough with, considering my plan was sub-22.

I'm a minute off my pb now, and looking to get back to the low 21s asap, so anything that would help that, such as an NSC meet, would be great - count me in!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
As knocky said, I went off ok, then faded a bit as he disappeared off into the distance. Still got 21.53, which I was happy enough with, considering my plan was sub-22.

I'm a minute off my pb now, and looking to get back to the low 21s asap, so anything that would help that, such as an NSC meet, would be great - count me in!

Good stuff. You certainly gave me the push I needed. Here's the register for 8th November.
Greg Bobkin
Knocky1
Simgull
BigNuts
BadAsh
Simgull
Dazzer6666

Any others? I can only do this weekend as Brookes 10k week after followed by a months trekking around Everest Base Camp and a month in Kerala. Perfect marathon preparation:lolol::lolol::lolol:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Good stuff. You certainly gave me the push I needed. Here's the register for 8th November.
Greg Bobkin
Knocky1
Simgull
BigNuts
BadAsh
Simgull
Dazzer6666

Any others? I can only do this weekend as Brookes 10k week after followed by a months trekking around Everest Base Camp and a month in Kerala. Perfect marathon preparation:lolol::lolol::lolol:

I think this is a great idea and will definitely help push me if surrounded my runners of a similar ability. Sub 21 is my aim and would be a PB but always tough around Hove Park.

What's everyone's usual tactic/pacing? With the first mile bring predominately downhill that tends to be my quickest around 6:40 pace and then it's a case of just holding on around the 7 minute mark or just under.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
h
I think this is a great idea and will definitely help push me if surrounded my runners of a similar ability. Sub 21 is my aim and would be a PB but always tough around Hove Park.

What's everyone's usual tactic/pacing? With the first mile bring predominately downhill that tends to be my quickest around 6:40 pace and then it's a case of just holding on around the 7 minute mark or just under.

Ditto on the pacing. Start in row 2 or 3 near the front go flying off and hope to keep going. This is paramount for a good time as it gets pretty jammed at the start. When fitter I push it over the crest of the final hill and go flat out for the last 1/2 mile. At present I have to hold back till near the basketball court. I will try the former on the day in an all or nothing attempt at sub 21.
Someone from school consistently does 20:30 to 20:50. If he is there he will be a perfect unknowing pacemaker.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
There is no way I could get sub 21 in two weeks' time. I'd like to get there by the end of the year maybe, but I think it'd be a tough ask. However, I'll start with you lot and see how I get on. I always start a few rows back - got a bit held up yesterday, which probably cost me a few seconds, but I can normally always make it up with the trademark Bobkin sprint finish, typically starting from the little hump before the tennis courts (by the 'road' through the park). Between 3 and 4km is my downfall.

7:18 might be up for it, but he's probably pushing sub 18s these days...

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Did my first stand alone 10k today in 43:27. I was hoping to be nearer to 40mins than 45, but I think I did it at a slightly easier pace than I could have managed for fear of having nothing left in the tank and at the end I had enough left for a decent 'sprint' finish.

The km markers were slightly erratic, my Garmin beeped for 7km about 200m after I'd passed the marker. I assumed the Garmin had messed up, but at 8km it was almost bang on, and then I passed the 9km marker almost 200m ahead of where I was expecting. Finished with the watch reading 9.98km which is a bit annoying as Strava doesn't record it as a 10km PB despite showing it as 10.0km.

Reckon I'll be somewhere between 20-21mins at the Hove parkrun. I've run sub 20 (just) at Preston Park, but don't think I'm currently in that form.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here