Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The consensus on here seems to be that people starting running in 30's upwards can improve but after 50 it's a different kettle of fish.
For me it has been downhill since I was 12 and beat Steve Ovetts 400m record at Withdean in Brighton & Hove Schools meeting. I had an adult peak at 35 running a 17:45 5k. Then 10 years off lead to 21:30 5k at 45. Then 5 years serious triathlon training led to 19.35 5k at 50. Now at 55 it would be a miracle to go sub 20 and sub 21 seems a sensible target but only running 22 at moment.

So the Brooks 10k I have sub 45 as a target but may be sub 46.

what I Talk about When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami describes the batlle of age by a now 60 year old endurance and marathon runner.

I'm reading that at the moment - a very good read it is too.

Fantastic read, full of amazing mantras and thought provoking lines. My favourite one: "Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional." Can be applied to pretty much any situation, even watching the Albion, I guess :lol:

Great effort on sustaining those 5km times over the years, [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] but, at 36 and having not yet achieved sub-20, I really hope I haven't peaked yet. Another crack at sub-22 beckons tomorrow morning...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Fantastic read, full of amazing mantras and thought provoking lines.....

Another crack at sub-22 beckons tomorrow morning...

I thought you were referring to my post initially but you mean Murukami!

I'll be in the park tomorrow and will say hello if I see you as you are a local media star. planning a bit of a plod tomorrow as just had a tooth extracted.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I thought you were referring to my post initially but you mean Murukami!

I'll be in the park tomorrow and will say hello if I see you as you are a local media star. planning a bit of a plod tomorrow as just had a tooth extracted.

Ha ha! Sorry - I meant the book, but it could be applied to your post :lol:

Might see you tomorrow, then.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As part of my Brighton marathon prep looking for a half marathon around begining of December - looked at various websites without success - anyone got any ideas?

Only possible I've seen is The Downland Devil 9 (Worthing x Country Run) - anyone done this one?

http://www.worthingstriders.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=124&Itemid=57

cheers

Think it's only been going a couple of years. Hilly, well organised.

Are you a club member ? Ours does organised Sunday runs on increasing distance most weeks, suitable for all abilities.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Hi, couple of questions to pick the brains of those on here -

Hips are still giving me some trouble so wondered if anyone has experience with the pose method of running?

Also, I currently run in asics nimbus with custom footbeds but was thinking of moving to something slightly more lightweight to help running form. Any thoughts on that? Any recommendations within the asics range?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hi, couple of questions to pick the brains of those on here -

Hips are still giving me some trouble so wondered if anyone has experience with the pose method of running?

Also, I currently run in asics nimbus with custom footbeds but was thinking of moving to something slightly more lightweight to help running form. Any thoughts on that? Any recommendations within the asics range?

Not POSE, but have a look at www.chirunning.com

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I go to a coached session, the coach is an experienced triathlete rather than a qualified running coach, but these are what he tries to get us to do:

> Don't over stride, feet should land under the body, not ahead of it. If your feet land ahead of the body you're likely to heal strike as dazzer says and it'll act as a brake.
> High cadence of around 90
> A result of the above is the feet spending more time on the ground powering you forward.
> High knees
> Lean forwards so that you start to fall and gravity helps pull you forwards.
> Push your hips forwards, you don't want your shoulders forwards and your bum sticking out.
> Elbows at 90 degree bend.
> Relaxed shoulders. One exercise we've done to help this is turn hands upwards and run like you're a waiter carrying plates.

I sometimes find when I focus on trying to achieve one thing, something else suffers. For example when I lean forwards, I find it's more difficult to get the knees high.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
How did everyone's park run go today? Was hoping to get back to it but had a late night so ran my own 5k at 10am along Hove seafront. Forgot how difficult 5k's are so much more punishing than longer distance races. Managed to shave 7 seconds of my best time so down to 21:13. Realistically I can't see myself going lower than 20:30 I'm not a naturally quick runner as anyone who has seen me play football would agree.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How did everyone's park run go today? Was hoping to get back to it but had a late night so ran my own 5k at 10am along Hove seafront. Forgot how difficult 5k's are so much more punishing than longer distance races. Managed to shave 7 seconds of my best time so down to 21:13. Realistically I can't see myself going lower than 20:30 I'm not a naturally quick runner as anyone who has seen me play football would agree.

I takes me about 5k just to get up to a decent speed. Much prefer the longer distances.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I was planning an easier park run when the Bobkin eased pass me going up the hill. Not wishing to lose to a man who swims and cycles before marathons I decided to give it 100%.. Got a 21:36 finish and very pleased with that. Will try for sub 21 before the Brookes 10k.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I go to a coached session, the coach is an experienced triathlete rather than a qualified running coach, but these are what he tries to get us to do:

> Don't over stride, feet should land under the body, not ahead of it. If your feet land ahead of the body you're likely to heal strike as dazzer says and it'll act as a brake.
> A result of the above is the feet spending more time on the ground powering you forward.
> High knees
> Push your hips forwards, you don't want your shoulders forwards and your bum sticking out.
> Relaxed shoulders. One exercise we've done to help this is turn hands upwards and run like you're a waiter carrying plates.

I sometimes find when I focus on trying to achieve one thing, something else suffers. For example when I lean forwards, I find it's more difficult to get the knees high.
Thanks BA, that all makes sense. I took a week off running and just worked on gluten and running form. Felt much better yesterday, no hip pain and quicker across the ground (well, felt like it anyway!)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

> High knees

Top advice this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here