Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He might not be able to take the pressure being surrounded by elite athletes, top notch officials, a decent surface and the latest time keeping technology. And there’s the prize money.

Am I remembering it right?. It’s been a while

Nope, nothing to do with that, more the nefarious race tactics of the more experienced NSC Runner....The Gaffer is the Gaffer for a reason [emoji6]

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Did 30km yesterday

Head strong, heart strong, lungs strong but knees in agony for last 2km

I think it’s because I didn’t do enough training to get distance into my legs - went from 20km straight to 30km

(Or is it because I’m 45 years old!)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Did 30km yesterday

I think it’s because I didn’t do enough training to get distance into my legs - went from 20km straight to 30km

Great distance for a youngster. This is NSC remember.

10% rule on upping distance but that’s generally ignored on here.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Nope, nothing to do with that, more the nefarious race tactics of the more experienced NSC Runner....The Gaffer is the Gaffer for a reason [emoji6]

I’m out. Sub 43 10k long gone. I’d be happy to mindgame a 5k NSC Boys Worthing Parkrun Challenge with [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] attending when COVID makes possible.

Says the **** who has finished behind you 90% of the time we’ve met!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Did 30km yesterday

It isn't because you're 45, says another 45 year old. You should just add another 2k per week until you get to your target distance... and remember to start a little slower each time.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I think I've fallen out of love with running a bit recently. I've been going, but not really enjoying myself.

Today was different though, pulled out a 10 mile run at 7 minute mile pace, which I reckon could have been just under that but for a stitch at mile 8. Funny how cyclical running can be on an emotional level.

D

Deleted member 2719

Just taken my 10km PB down from 43:24 to 41:32 doing a virtual 10km thing with some Instagram running buddies.

Delighted with that as I'd already done 4-and-a-bit miles of hills and mud with the dog this morning, and this is a record mileage week for me - just short of 60 miles with one day to go.

2 mins off your PB, sounds like we should send the Lawyers in for a re-count.:smile:

D

Deleted member 2719

Has anyone had any issues when running in new shoes?

I have exactly the same pair as before, apart from the colour and after 600 metres, I noticed my plantar fascia felt tight, and after 1.5 k my hammies were tighter than a drum skin.

Is this just a bedding in issue of new shoes? or have I pulled something?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
2 mins off your PB, sounds like we should send the Lawyers in for a re-count.:smile:

Maybe. :lolol:

I've not tried to run a fast 10km since my last attempt in June, which was my previous PB. I've done a lot of running since then, and I guess this is reflective of the improvement that consistency can help deliver (c) [MENTION=11816]artie fulkin[/MENTION].

I'll add that today I followed a similar approach to yesterday: four-and-a-bit miles with the dog on the hills before breakfast and then going out for a speed test a few hours later, having a stab at my 5km PB.

This was significantly more difficult, but I managed to make an improvement and get under 20 minutes for the first time. Old best: 20:14, new best 19:48.

It also takes me to 70 miles for the week which is somewhat more than my previous best which would be something like 53 miles.

D

Deleted member 2719

I've not tried to run a fast 10km since my last attempt in June, which was my previous PB. I've done a lot of running since then, and I guess this is reflective of the improvement that consistency can help deliver (c) [MENTION=11816]artie fulkin[/MENTION].

I'll add that today I followed a similar approach to yesterday: four-and-a-bit miles with the dog on the hills before breakfast and then going out for a speed test a few hours later, having a stab at my 5km PB.

This was significantly more difficult, but I managed to make an improvement and get under 20 minutes for the first time. Old best: 20:14, new best 19:48.

It also takes me to 70 miles for the week which is somewhat more than my previous best which would be something like 53 miles.

Sounds like you are on fire at the moment.:clap2::clap2:

My brother was a pretty handy runner for Sussex and England vets and he used to push out 70 miles a week to train for cross country and 5 and 10k.

Sounds like your heading on for competition level!

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Fantastic running Bozza! :thumbsup: You're really on fire and it's great to follow your improvements! Great stuff!

Yep, I know I am a fully fledged running bore at the best of times, but I think consistency really is the name of the game. It's pretty amazing how maintaining some decent consistency week after week leads to some really solid improvements. It's all about time spent running (frequency and volume), but to do this as safely as possible and not get hurt, we have to slow down so that the majority of our running is at an aerobically easy, comfortable effort.

I'm helping a couple of guys and girls locally at the moment where we're very gradually increasing their weekly volume so that they can get as comfortable as possible running 40 to 50 miles a week. To do this it's ALL at an easy, comfortable effort and they're flying at the moment with no niggles. Only once they're comfortable absorbing and adapting to the consistent volume will we start to incorporate a sprinkle of some faster effort intervals and workouts.

You might notice I haven't used the word PACE anywhere here because I don't think it's important. :smile:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Has anyone had any issues when running in new shoes?

I have exactly the same pair as before, apart from the colour and after 600 metres, I noticed my plantar fascia felt tight, and after 1.5 k my hammies were tighter than a drum skin.

Is this just a bedding in issue of new shoes? or have I pulled something?

I always hate the first run in new shoes.......definitely impacts your gait a bit and can easily lead to little niggles. I now always break in a new pair gently with a couple of v easy 30 min runs.

D

Deleted member 2719

I always hate the first run in new shoes.......definitely impacts your gait a bit and can easily lead to little niggles. I now always break in a new pair gently with a couple of v easy 30 min runs.

Thanks for that. I will do an easy one next time. I can still feel the tightness in the sole of my feet now!
Nothing serious just annoying happening so early into my run.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

The only real PBs are in races.........nothing else counts :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here