Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

D

Deleted member 2719

As I am only a novice runner and do it to just for self-improvement, I am relatively happy with the gains I have made to date, in distance and pace.

I started towards the end of 2017.

2017 - 36K
2018 - 228K
2019 - 302K
2020 - 342K hope to make 400K

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
including a quite zippy 10 miles, by my standards, on Sunday. Unfortunately I was pushed for time otherwise I'd have rounded up to a 13.1 where I'm sure I'd have shaved something off my PB.

I wanted to try and put this right.

My plan for today was to get up at 6 and try for a HM PB before the shit weather arrived.

Unfortunately I drank quite a bit of red wine last night and didn't get to bed until well after 1. Not great preparation for a 6am alarm, so I left it.

That meant I went out later when the weather was horrendous, but I still managed to run well enough to improve my HM PB from 1:41:37 to 1:40:01. In mile 5 I had to cross a small stretch of grass/mud and I immediately wiped out when I landed on it, which might well have cost me that elusive 1:39:xx time. Another day maybe!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A successful return to running this weekend. Decided to risk hitting it fairly hard. 5 miler up and over to Preston Park return left me red faced despite a few rests on Saturday. Legs and breathing felt good. Sunday was a steady 3 miler recovery. Stretching after needed on the hamstrings but all joints, Achilles and calf muscles fine. Walking up mountains must have helped there.

DOMS kicked in today but not too bad. Very pleased with the old bones. Now for some hard work....

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
A successful return to running this weekend. Decided to risk hitting it fairly hard. 5 miler up and over to Preston Park return left me red faced despite a few rests on Saturday. Legs and breathing felt good. Sunday was a steady 3 miler recovery. Stretching after needed on the hamstrings but all joints, Achilles and calf muscles fine. Walking up mountains must have helped there.

DOMS kicked in today but not too bad. Very pleased with the old bones. Now for some hard work....

Good to see you are on the come-back trail. Form is temporary; class is permanent.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Winter's clearly on its way. I chickened out of an early morning run yesterday to wait for the nicer weather and then this morning – after my phone indicated it was 2° outside – the gloves went on!

D

Deleted member 2719

Missed 17 days of running due to a slip disc.

Took it easy just to turn the legs and lungs over a bit. My back survived, so glad I waited a few more days.

I was eager to get back at it though. I decided to save my new trainers until I am back up to speed to go for a PB before the end of the year.:rave:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Absolutely brilliant day for a run. Sun, blue sky, no wind - missed this for the last few weeks, seems to have been perpetual rain and wind.
20k for me from Worthing, over Cissbury and back. And by the time I got back it seems the course of the US election had changed!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Absolutely brilliant day for a run. Sun, blue sky, no wind - missed this for the last few weeks, seems to have been perpetual rain and wind.
20k for me from Worthing, over Cissbury and back. And by the time I got back it seems the course of the US election had changed!

Same. Took advantage of the perfect conditions for a 10 miler from Lewes to the Amex where security stopped me from running round the ground due to COVID restrictions and back. The views from Kingston Ridge were well worth the slog to get up there.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Evening all. Long time no post.

After months on the sidelines, several stone gained and a false restart I may be back "up and running" (sorry) finally. Covid left me with a seemingly permanent cough and persistant tiredness. Both of those have now gone, at least for now. And, since I went from marathon super fit to super stuck on the sofa almost instantly I've had other joyous injuries on top - a flare up of the tendonitiis in my left leg that filled my knee with fluid and left me unable to walk for two days and I managed to stub my toe quite seriously in a drinking incident :lolol:

However, I went out on Sunday to see just how out of condition I was (answer, very) and repeated the dose last night, with no ill effects.

I'm max 5k distance, max 10 min miles pace and run/walking for now but the trainers are back on and the aim is the rearranged Brighton Marathon in Sept 2021. Hopefully a summer of training as covid receeds under a vaccine and testing. Let's hope.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

After months on the sidelines, several stone gained and a false restart I may be back "up and running" (sorry) finally. Covid left me with a seemingly permanent cough and persistant tiredness. Both of those have now gone, at least for now. And, since I went from marathon super fit to super stuck on the sofa almost instantly I've had other joyous injuries on top - a flare up of the tendonitiis in my left leg that filled my knee with fluid and left me unable to walk for two days and I managed to stub my toe quite seriously in a drinking incident [emoji38]ol:

However, I went out on Sunday to see just how out of condition I was (answer, very) and repeated the dose last night, with no ill effects.

I'm max 5k distance, max 10 min miles pace and run/walking for now but the trainers are back on and the aim is the rearranged Brighton Marathon in Sept 2021. Hopefully a summer of training as covid receeds under a vaccine and testing. Let's hope.
Good luck GB and great to hear you're back out there. Fingers crossed you get that fitness back for Brighton marathon.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

After months on the sidelines, several stone gained and a false restart I may be back "up and running" (sorry) finally. Covid left me with a seemingly permanent cough and persistant tiredness. Both of those have now gone, at least for now. And, since I went from marathon super fit to super stuck on the sofa almost instantly I've had other joyous injuries on top - a flare up of the tendonitiis in my left leg that filled my knee with fluid and left me unable to walk for two days and I managed to stub my toe quite seriously in a drinking incident :lolol:

Best news all day. Great to hear.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Blimey - it's as if the thread suddenly re-awakened. Good to see so much activity. Shame there's no upcoming events.

This was a lot of fun during the last lockdown and genuinely lifted my spirits as it did for many others - I think [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] you did it too? It would be great to have load of NSC Runner participants - we can even run in pairs during lockdown. Also good to support Centurion who have badly hit with this lockdown forcing them to cancel four events late in the day.

I’ve entered for 50 miles. Who else is in?

https://onecommunity.centurionrunning.com/races/one-community-2020

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Have really enjoyed getting into running since February this year, albeit with the modest aim of getting a bit fitter and being able to run a reasonable 5k.
Apart from the calf strain and foot twinge, it's gone well and my times have steadily improved. I can run a reasonably brisk 5k, a steady 10k and have lost 2 inches off the waist, and at least a stone in weight. Yes, there are mornings when I hate it more than love it, but it's a great start to the day once you've done it, and I enjoy the cameraderie with other runners.
Tend to prefer going out early morning (5.45/6 onwards), usually two to three times a week. I'm 60, and probably fitter than I've been for decades.
If you're thinking of giving it a go, I'd recommend it (serious health conditions permitting) but would strongly suggest you don't skimp on a good pair of running shoes - they can make all the difference.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This was a lot of fun during the last lockdown and genuinely lifted my spirits as it did for many others - I think [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] you did it too? It would be great to have load of NSC Runner participants - we can even run in pairs during lockdown. Also good to support Centurion who have badly hit with this lockdown forcing them to cancel four events late in the day.

I’ve entered for 50 miles. Who else is in?

https://onecommunity.centurionrunning.com/races/one-community-2020

I’ll definitely be doing something......not sure dodgy foot is up to doing 50m yet but might try a marathon and probably a 50 mile week (pretty much up to that now anyway [emoji23][emoji23]). Get your friends and family involved - it was brilliant last time, particularly the non-running kids, wives and others that ended up taking part.

Please also have a look at the ReRun random event (if not already sold out) - that’s local boy Dan Lawson’s thing. Details on the website. Just hope you don’t get a GUCR Ultra tee [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Best news today [emoji106][emoji106]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here