Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
My knees yesterday and my back today would agree with you !!

My lower back went yesterday morning. 3 days after last run. Tight hips, hamstrings, it bands and quads. Should follow my own advice on mileage!
Shuffling to the crock’s bench tomorrow.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You might notice I haven't used the word PACE anywhere here because I don't think it's important. :smile:

Well thank goodness for that because it took me 44 minutes to do 4 miles yesterday :lolol:

However, when I first started running I didn't get up to a 45 ish mins on the feet for two months so there's definitely some muscle memory there. My plan is to carry on at a very sedate pace but add at least a mile to my longest run each Sunday so should be back to 10k ish in a couple of weeks, fingers crossed.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think I've fallen out of love with running a bit recently. I've been going, but not really enjoying myself.

Today was different though, pulled out a 10 mile run at 7 minute mile pace, which I reckon could have been just under that but for a stitch at mile 8. Funny how cyclical running can be on an emotional level.

I made no secret of the fact that I lost my running mojo COMPLETELY in January and February. No injuries or fitness issues, just could not be arsed to go out and run. Now? I'm running every day, the majority of weeks doing upwards of 40 miles a week and absolutely loving it. For me, it all just clicked back into place during March and I'm really glad it did!

Great running, CO. I also ran 10 miles yesterday, although at a more sedate 8:23min/mile pace :lolol:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Has anyone had any issues when running in new shoes?

I have exactly the same pair as before, apart from the colour and after 600 metres, I noticed my plantar fascia felt tight, and after 1.5 k my hammies were tighter than a drum skin.

Is this just a bedding in issue of new shoes? or have I pulled something?

I did , I got some advice on this thread on new shoes not so long back and got the same shoe but a newer version. I foolishly stated never have injuries but within 2 runs of the new shoe i started having some Achilles issues. Tried to back off it and reduce runs but just couldn't shake it off. In the end took over 3 weeks off and that seems to of sorted it. I can still feel it but doesn't cause any issues.

I don't help myself that when I run though , I run near to full pelt so am always hitting around PBs. I have tried the slow runs but just end up me sprinting the last sections to make up for time lost at the start. Prob goes against the grain of all advice but since lockdown with this approach I've got my 5k from 23 ish to low 20's every run. Generally run twice a week , a fast (for me) 10k and 5k.

Shoes seem to be good now.

D

Deleted member 2719

I did , I got some advice on this thread on new shoes not so long back and got the same shoe but a newer version. I foolishly stated never have injuries but within 2 runs of the new shoe i started having some Achilles issues. Tried to back off it and reduce runs but just couldn't shake it off. In the end took over 3 weeks off and that seems to of sorted it. I can still feel it but doesn't cause any issues.

I don't help myself that when I run though , I run near to full pelt so am always hitting around PBs. I have tried the slow runs but just end up me sprinting the last sections to make up for time lost at the start. Prob goes against the grain of all advice but since lockdown with this approach I've got my 5k from 23 ish to low 20's every run. Generally run twice a week , a fast (for me) 10k and 5k.

Shoes seem to be good now.

Blimey, we could be clones!

I have now managed to back off going for PB'S all the time. My brother who pushed himself a lot as a runner had open-heart surgery in March and there was a suggestion from doctors, he may have pushed his limits too much too often. That said I will have a crack at my 5k PB within the next month.:smile:

I may leave it an extra day before my next run as the plantar fascia is still a little tight.

Hoping for a smoother and slower run then.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Blimey, we could be clones!

I have now managed to back off going for PB'S all the time. My brother who pushed himself a lot as a runner had open-heart surgery in March and there was a suggestion from doctors, he may have pushed his limits too much too often. That said I will have a crack at my 5k PB within the next month.:smile:

I may leave it an extra day before my next run as the plantar fascia is still a little tight.

Hoping for a smoother and slower run then.

Interesting on brother . Never heard of that before . Was he running long runs ?

my first run after 3 weeks out I did the first Mile at 8 minutes then the old mindset kicked in and busted the next 2 milesto make up the “lost” time . It wasn’t pleasant but Luckily injury was fine.

Good luck with injury and good luck with running slower haha

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Good article. All makes good sense............ but do we listen?

"It goes without saying that you should stretch after every run."

I've never stretched after a run. Nor before. Nor foam-rolled. Nor strength-trained.

It is something I've been thinking about doing though, and I think that counts.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I've never stretched after a run. Nor before. Nor foam-rolled. Nor strength-trained.

There is always the agony of choice after finishing a run - especially a longer one.........15/20 minutes of valuable stretching or an immediate shower, large mug of tea and a hot bacon sarnie :whistle:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I’m a good post run stretcher but not so good at a warm up. Running track sessions with a club has been useful picking up warm up activities but now I need to put it into practice.

Currently have a very tight right Achilles, so today’s interval session will make way for a more sedate paced run.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There is always the agony of choice after finishing a run - especially a longer one.........15/20 minutes of valuable stretching or an immediate shower, large mug of tea and a hot bacon sarnie :whistle:

I'm certainly feeling it at the moment, and "look up post-running stretches" is on my to-do list currently.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

With the volume that you're doing the body must be crying out for some TLC Bozza. :lolol: Look after the body and it will look after the running for you. It's what's doing all the work. :smile:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I went for a 5k run with the dog when I got in last night, it was dark, didn't stretch before or after, never have. Pilates is for stretching and core, and very good it is too.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
With the volume that you're doing the body must be crying out for some TLC Bozza. :lolol: Look after the body and it will look after the running for you. It's what's doing all the work. :smile:

I'm certainly feeling it at the moment.

If you saw me getting up from the sofa when I've been sitting for some time, you'd think I was incapable of walking, let alone running!

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Very sound advice dazzer. :thumbsup:

Running is an endurance discipline. If we would like to run faster we need to improve our endurance, not speed.

How do we improve our endurance? Quite simply we should try to run more. The more we run, the better we get at it because it increases our fitness, both aerobically and physiologically. But running more can definitely be harmful so to navigate some consistent running as safely as possible we should slow down.

Every time we go out for a run, no matter the speed, we're banking small aerobic deposits that lead to an improvement in endurance which will result in getting faster, over time. So why stress the body with speed too much if easy running does the job we want.

The speed or "pace" (there's that dreaded word again :lolol:) is not particularly important, at least for the majority of our time spent running.

There's a reason elite distance runners are consistently knocking out 100+ mile weeks in a training programme, of which most of that volume is easy, comfortable running (for them). That time spent running is to improve their endurance, which results in running faster, for longer.

*sorry for the bore-fest.... :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here