Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
12:35 5k set tonight!

Truly epic from Joshua Cheptegei!! Incredible to watch! 12:35:36 :mad: breaking the 5000m world record from Bekele 16 years ago by a whopping 2 seconds. Paced to perfection.

The Ugandan is the future of distant running and will no doubt go on to break records over the longer distances. His 12:51 5k road world record in Monaco back in February was amazing too. He's definitely on for double gold at the Olympics 5000m and 10,000m in Tokyo next year, if it takes place. No way is Mo Farah going to get close to him in the 10,000m. The one down side, unfortunately there will now be the inevitable questions asked... ???

It was an awesome evening of racing (thankfully the BBC signed up to the streaming rights at the last minute) with fantastic results from the Brits Laura Weightman (14:35:44 in the 5k :eek:) Jake Wightman and Brighton's Charlie Grice in the 1500m, and Kyle Langford in the 800m.
Everyone says the track at Monaco is very fast. :wink:

Nice of Cheptegei to make sure he stopped his watch at the end, no doubt for the all important Strava upload :lolol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN9Y6gi24B4

Yeah, but could he do it on a wet and windy Saturday morning in February around Hove Park? :moo:

:lolol:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Noticed the women have got back into tight lycra this summer and now Joshua has followed suit. I'll go and look for my pair from 2005...........:ohmy:

All you need now is a pair of the Mo Farah arm sleeves and you're all set Gaffer. :smile:

Despite getting tested so often all year round - he's been at altitude training for the last month of so with quite a few elites in Font Romeu - the doubters are convinced he wears them in public so that photographers don't capture his many 'needle scars' on his arms. They must just keep his arms warm. ???

I always think the lycra shorts are a sure fire way to experience chafing... I think I'll stick to short shorts :lolol:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
It is unfortunate but sadly true that performances like this will be doubted (by me at least).

Icarus (the film) made it relatively clear how easy it is to dope.
Kenyan athletics is riddled with drug cheats (Uganda is next door)
Its a relatively large improvement on a difficult world record and it looked quite easy for him.
He is almost certainly racing athletes who are doping and beating them

Yep unfortunately it's now the norm to question world record breaking times of this magnitude.
To their credit, Kenya is making some high profile elite anti-doping crackdowns, most notably a 4 year ban for Wilson Kipsang a couple of months ago for four whereabouts failures. He was coming to the end of his career and had won so much already it's a strange one.

Uganda not so much. It's great PR to have a Ugandan athlete as the best in the world so the government are "very supportive". The Ugandan president laid on a private charter for Joshua to get over to Monaco.

It's relatively easy for the world to doubt performances from East African athletes but one thing I would say is that is must be VERY hard not to think about it. A good performance at a marquee race in Europe could set an athlete's family up out of poverty for many years, if not for life.

Level playing field then. The track used is also “ bouncy”. I’d take it.

12:34 can I do a little more.

Yep, Monaco is supposed to be a fast track and the new Nike track spikes launched this year seem to be game-changers too.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I feel relieved now the Brighton Marathon 2020 options have finally been outlined - I've deferred to next year.

Training plan number three will be drawn up in December. 😀

Thanks someone here had deleted that email as junk. I have duly retrieved and after much thought decided 2021 is unlikely to happen, 2022 is a long way away and so refund it is.

Very generous from BM. Unlike three other events that have pocketed £100 of my money without any communication.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Thanks someone here had deleted that email as junk. I have duly retrieved and after much thought decided 2021 is unlikely to happen, 2022 is a long way away and so refund it is.

Very generous from BM. Unlike three other events that have pocketed £100 of my money without any communication.

Already registered for 2021, so currently debating with myself whether to defer this year’s entry to 2022, or just go for refund. I’m impressed that refund is an option as I wasn’t expecting that.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Still enjoying my precautionary absence from running. Dumbbells everyday, press ups, swimming And running in the sea at low tide. Looking fit but cardio has to have gone far far South.

Thought I’d replicate the latest club virtual challenge on here. NSC Runners you are challenged to run a KM as fast as you can and without any rules. For example; downhill, 60mph Wind behind, top speed watch start and even cheating Vaporfly. Anything you want. Between now and Christmas.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
hey guys, just thought I'd flag Nike.com are doing 25% off everything at the moment (use code BTS25 at checkout) if anyone has been thinking of treating themselves to some new running shoes or clothing - https://www.nike.com/gb/. I saved £70 on two pairs of shoes this morning. It was rude not to really. :lolol:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Reading this little blog about the seemingly rapid increase in running podcasts popping up made me chuckle the other day, but got me wondering if we've covered running-related podcasts? Who's listening to what?

Number of Running Podcasts Surpasses Number of Actual Runners
https://dumbrunner.com/news-blog/20...g-podcasts-surpasses-number-of-actual-runners

Does anyone frequently listen to running-related podcasts (either on their runs or at other times) and if so, what are your favourites?

Since lockdown and working from home my podcast listening has dropped off as I would normally listen during my daily commute, but here's a few that I subscribe to:

Stephen Scullion (Irish elite marathon runner)
Inside Running (from Australia)
British Ultra Running (from Centurion's James Elson I think)
Marathon Talk (Martin Yelling and parkrun's Tom Williams)
Ross Tucker's The Real Science of Sport
Bad Boy Running
The Kenya Experience Conversations About Running
Mario Fraiolli's The Morning Shakeout
The Way of the Runner (Adharanand Finn)
That Running Podcast
Let's Get Running

My favourite for a few years now has been LetsRun.com's Track Talk weekly podcast from brothers Robert and Weldon Johnson and their excellent staff writer and huge Brighton fan Jonathan Gault, discussing the week's US & international elite running, marathoning and track & field news. It's really funny and it's my go-to podcast each week.

As Jonathan frequently mentions the Seagulls on the podcast I asked him on twitter a while back if he has ties with Sussex and he mentioned that his dad is from Haywards Heath. I think he must have been born and raised in the UK before moving to the US. When he visits the UK he gets to a Brighton game. I wonder if he reads NSC? ???

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Reading this little blog about the seemingly rapid increase in running podcasts popping up made me chuckle the other day, but got me wondering if we've covered running-related podcasts? Who's listening to what?

Number of Running Podcasts Surpasses Number of Actual Runners
https://dumbrunner.com/news-blog/20...g-podcasts-surpasses-number-of-actual-runners

Does anyone frequently listen to running-related podcasts (either on their runs or at other times) and if so, what are your favourites?

Since lockdown and working from home my podcast listening has dropped off as I would normally listen during my daily commute, but here's a few that I subscribe to:

Stephen Scullion (Irish elite marathon runner)
Inside Running (from Australia)
British Ultra Running (from Centurion's James Elson I think)
Marathon Talk (Martin Yelling and parkrun's Tom Williams)
Ross Tucker's The Real Science of Sport
Bad Boy Running
The Kenya Experience Conversations About Running
Mario Fraiolli's The Morning Shakeout
The Way of the Runner (Adharanand Finn)
That Running Podcast
Let's Get Running

My favourite for a few years now has been LetsRun.com's Track Talk weekly podcast from brothers Robert and Weldon Johnson and their excellent staff writer and huge Brighton fan Jonathan Gault, discussing the week's US & international elite running, marathoning and track & field news. It's really funny and it's my go-to podcast each week.

As Jonathan frequently mentions the Seagulls on the podcast I asked him on twitter a while back if he has ties with Sussex and he mentioned that his dad is from Haywards Heath. I think he must have been born and raised in the UK before moving to the US. When he visits the UK he gets to a Brighton game. I wonder if he reads NSC? ???

Nice idea to highlight running focused podcasts. Podcasts alway keep me going during my long weekend runs, I’m always in need for new / fresh material.
Will certainly subscribe to some of those listed above.

Just to add a couple (quite mainstream) I listen to:
Keep Running - presented by Rachel Stringer (Sports presenter) and Ariana Rai.
Run Pod - presented by Jenni Falconer. More aimed at the recreational runner, she does get some decent guest celebrities to discuss their love of running.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
hey guys, just thought I'd flag Nike.com are doing 25% off everything at the moment (use code BTS25 at checkout) if anyone has been thinking of treating themselves to some new running shoes or clothing - https://www.nike.com/gb/. I saved £70 on two pairs of shoes this morning. It was rude not to really. :lolol:

I'm a Nike fanboy as my shoe rotation on Strava will testify to, but I won't pay full price for anything now, so frequent are the sales.

In the last one I picked up Pegasus 37s and Pegasus Trail 2s - both newly-released - for 30% off.

When the notification popped up on my watch this morning I was straight in to get these which were already reduced - https://www.nike.com/gb/t/react-miler-running-shoe-CDmF8B/CW1777-005 - as a rest-day easy-going shoe, as well as a few other bits and pieces. £56 for the React Milers is a steal!

I use the Nike app on my iPhone to favourite items as and when I see them, so I can always get in quickly when these offers happen.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Nice idea to highlight running focused podcasts. Podcasts alway keep me going during my long weekend runs, I’m always in need for new / fresh material.
Will certainly subscribe to some of those listed above.

Just to add a couple (quite mainstream) I listen to:
Keep Running - presented by Rachel Stringer (Sports presenter) and Ariana Rai.
Run Pod - presented by Jenni Falconer. More aimed at the recreational runner, she does get some decent guest celebrities to discuss their love of running.

Nice! :thumbsup: Both Jenni Falconer and Rachel Stringer are decent runners. I think Rachel Stringer used to be competitive at junior UK competition standard levels.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I'm a Nike fanboy as my shoe rotation on Strava will testify to, but I won't pay full price for anything now, so frequent are the sales.

In the last one I picked up Pegasus 37s and Pegasus Trail 2s - both newly-released - for 30% off.

When the notification popped up on my watch this morning I was straight in to get these which were already reduced - https://www.nike.com/gb/t/react-miler-running-shoe-CDmF8B/CW1777-005 - as a rest-day easy-going shoe, as well as a few other bits and pieces. £56 for the React Milers is a steal!

I use the Nike app on my iPhone to favourite items as and when I see them, so I can always get in quickly when these offers happen.

Nicely done Bozza! I'd be really interested to hear what you think about the Peg 37's. They felt ok for me on the first couple of runs but then seemed to feel completely dead strangely. A really flat running feel to them, with zero feedback or responsiveness. As a returning Pegasus fan from a while back I REALLY wanted to like them but I've been so disappointed. I thought I'd stick with them and give them some time to wake up but I'm not getting anything back. Such a shame.

The Peg Trail 2's look a lovely shoe! I was thinking of trying them out but decided this morning to go for the Peg 36 Trails as I've heard good things and another pair of Turbo 2's before they discontinue them (I very much love this shoe :lol:).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Nicely done Bozza! I'd be really interested to hear what you think about the Peg 37's. They felt ok for me on the first couple of runs but then seemed to feel completely dead strangely. A really flat running feel to them, with zero feedback or responsiveness. As a returning Pegasus fan from a while back I REALLY wanted to like them but I've been so disappointed. I thought I'd stick with them and give them some time to wake up but I'm not getting anything back. Such a shame.

The Peg Trail 2's look a lovely shoe! I was thinking of trying them out but decided this morning to go for the Peg 36 Trails as I've heard good things and another pair of Turbo 2's before they discontinue them (I very much love this shoe :lol:).

I'm not sure I'm the best judge when it comes to judging shoes in quite the same way as you - I'm considerably heavier (3+ stone, I think, if I recall what you said about your weight) and not a speed merchant.

I bought them as an easy-going pair of shoes as my Peg 36s and Vomero 14s, which I use in the same way, are getting on a bit - I'd even started using them on the trails when they were baked and hard over recent weeks.

I think I'm up to about 100 miles in the 37s and they seem decent enough but, as above, I don't wear them when I'm looking for (my version of) pace - I use my Zoom Fly 3s and Peg Turbos for that, and I added the Zoom Streak 7 recently for short sharp runs (still a great price at Keller, BTW - https://www.keller-sports.co.uk/search/?q=Zoom streak 7 - particularly if you're a member and save another 10%).

I had looked at the Peg 36 trails for ages and ages and missed out on a couple of colour schemes I liked in prior Nike sales and then the Wildhorse 6 came out so I went for those instead. I can still see me picking up a pair of 36 Trails though - Seth James DeMoor rates them highly as a commuting shoe - and as I only ever run from my front door, most of my trail runs include some road at the beginning and end so they should suit me well.

My concern with my WH6s, the Peg Trail 2 (which will be given back to me on my birthday!) and the Peg 36 Trails is I just don't have much confidence in them on some of the hard-packed clay surfaces I have to contend with on nearly all my trails. When damp they are like ice rinks. I took a big tumble last winter which has dented my confidence a bit. I'm just back from Cissbury Ring now and I felt the WH6s slide a few times after today's showers. Maybe no shoes are good for those particular surfaces - trail shoe lugs on this stuff just reminds me of moulded football boots on concrete - there is no traction at all!

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I'm not sure I'm the best judge when it comes to judging shoes in quite the same way as you - I'm considerably heavier (3+ stone, I think, if I recall what you said about your weight) and not a speed merchant.

I bought them as an easy-going pair of shoes as my Peg 36s and Vomero 14s, which I use in the same way, are getting on a bit - I'd even started using them on the trails when they were baked and hard over recent weeks.

I think I'm up to about 100 miles in the 37s and they seem decent enough but, as above, I don't wear them when I'm looking for (my version of) pace - I use my Zoom Fly 3s and Peg Turbos for that, and I added the Zoom Streak 7 recently for short sharp runs (still a great price at Keller, BTW - https://www.keller-sports.co.uk/search/?q=Zoom streak 7 - particularly if you're a member and save another 10%).

I had looked at the Peg 36 trails for ages and ages and missed out on a couple of colour schemes I liked in prior Nike sales and then the Wildhorse 6 came out so I went for those instead. I can still see me picking up a pair of 36 Trails though - Seth James DeMoor rates them highly as a commuting shoe - and as I only ever run from my front door, most of my trail runs include some road at the beginning and end so they should suit me well.

My concern with my WH6s, the Peg Trail 2 (which will be given back to me on my birthday!) and the Peg 36 Trails is I just don't have much confidence in them on some of the hard-packed clay surfaces I have to contend with on nearly all my trails. When damp they are like ice rinks. I took a big tumble last winter which has dented my confidence a bit. I'm just back from Cissbury Ring now and I felt the WH6s slide a few times after today's showers. Maybe no shoes are good for those particular surfaces - trail shoe lugs on this stuff just reminds me of moulded football boots on concrete - there is no traction at all!

I think it comes down to the feel of the ride. I'm hoping the Peg 37's will start to come alive a bit but it's not looking good. When I compare them to another of my every day shoes the New Balance 1080v10's they really fall short. The 1080v10's are a fantastic shoe. Can't praise New Balance high enough for a poppy, responsive but comfortable "all rounder" shoe. I'm also a big fan of the lower drop Hoka Rincon's, just a lovely smooth ride for an every day shoe, if only they had put a little more rubber protection on the outsole.

Yeah I was really confused why Nike flooded their trail commuter range with the Wildhorse, Terra Kiger, Peg 36 Trails and the Peg Trail! They all seem to be very similar trail crossover shoes?

Trying to cruise around on wet clay or chalk terrain does sound quite dicey and I'm not sure deeper lugs would help reduce slipping and getting some better traction but maybe? Something like the Salomon Speedcross or Hoka Speedgoat? The Nike trail shoes always look amazing, but brands like Salomon, Inov-8 and Hoka know their stuff when it comes to "true" trail shoes. :D

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Yesterday was my first proper group run since March. I'd almost forgotten just how much more fun they are than a solo plod. I'm sure those who follow me on Strava or have seen my previous posts know about my Run-TO-Beer running club. We run 5/10/15k finishing at a pub or brewery. Things were a little different yesterday. We'd normally have 100+ people turning up to a brewery at the same time but obviously that wasn't allowed. This time we just had a 5k route and went in 4 separate waves, an hour apart. We also picked a brewery with a big outside space.

I must admit I was a bit nervous about it but in the end it just felt so normal. We had a really good group of people who followed social distancing and kept in single file when we were on the main streets. I was in wave 4 which was largely populated by people who knew they'd have a hangover (myself included) so I was very happy to be leading a slow-paced group!

In shoe related news, I'm in the market for a new pair. The shoes in my regular rotation have all got around 500k in them. They're still fine to run in but I really need to break things up with a fresh pair. I can definitely feel a lack of bounce in them now. I've been torn between New Balance 880 and Saucony Ride over the last few years. They're both decent shoes but I'm wondering if I should try something new, maybe with a bit more bounce. Unfortunately Nike shoes just don't fit me properly (I do still have a pair of 4%s but they very tight on the toes so I'm saving them for a short race). Any recommendations are always welcome.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Anyone else still running ?

:wave:

A really mixed weekend of running for me. Yesterday morning's run was a real suffer fest. A 12 mile low intensity slog with zero rhythm and heart rate through the roof.

This morning's run was much improved, a solid 2 hours (18 miles) of cruising. Felt comfortable and smooth. Amazing what a decent night's sleep banked can do to get me back in the game.

Hope everyone's had a good weekend of running. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here