Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Some of the world might be going to shite, but the sun is out, I ran nine sub-8 min miles with relative ease earlier and weighed in at under 13st for the first time in decades this morning :thumbsup:

Plus the Moyleman team revealed the design of the 2021 glass :drink::drink::drink: I know I said I wouldn't race an altered Beachy, but I'd make an exception for Moyleman, even if the regular format got changed :lolol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
wow - that looks brutal! I think I could last about 5 hours max!! Some of the climbs were borderline stairs, you know its steep when they have a rope and handrail haha

I know a few who have done it.......imagine what you saw but at night, in heavy rain, temps of 5 degrees and 60mph winds.................for 30 hours..............madness !

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Registered my first sub 50 10K today for a while. It was one of those runs where the time was nothing to shout about, but the precision of the timing was just about perfect, so very pleasing. You get the point where you think that you might have waved goodbye forever to a benchmark time (I'd have preferred it to have been a 40 minute 10K, but there you go) so it's nice to get one over on the hardest competitor you'll ever meet: Father Time!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
New challenge for me. Swimming the Hove Prom Parkrun 5k before September. I need to be ready to fire for my running return.

D

Deleted member 2719

All you guys need to take a few days off, it's far too hot for running.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
New running-related book day. I've gone for Richard Askwith's Zatopek Today We Die A Little. Looking forward to getting into it. Thanks for the recommendation a while back [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]. :thumbsup:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
New running-related book day. I've gone for Richard Askwith's Zatopek Today We Die A Little. Looking forward to getting into it. Thanks for the recommendation a while back [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]. :thumbsup:

Great book, great character, great runner and great detail of life behind the Iron Curtain. I unknowingly drove 100 miles from his museum last autumn and regret not paying a visit. His wife died this March at a ripe 97 years old.

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
Time to check back in with the best thread on NSC!

Friday last week marked four months of my run streak, miles covered in that time came to 886. The 16th July was milestone 100 day, it was conveniently pleasing that I was able to use the run on that day to beat my 2019 annual mile tally of 1201, never dreamt at the start of 2020 that I'd be hitting this figure with five and a half months to spare :ohmy: Total miles on the clock are now 1424, fair to say times have dipped a little over the past couple of days :blush:

Like others on the thread with one eye on the BM, I'm awaiting their revelation as to what the revised event may look like, in the meantime I've continued with preparations regardless, the last training run was a 21 in 2h55. I thought my stats were looking pretty good until [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] dropped his stats a few weeks back :bowdown:

My weight continues a downward trend, as you'd expect with the mileage being covered, came in at a new low of 145lbs yesterday which looking up on conversion is about 10.36 stone. I'm probably at the lower end of ideal weight for my height now, 'eat out to help out' will probably help reverse out some of these gains over the month :lolol:

Still retaining a small amount of hope that Parkrun may return in some form by the close of the year, I filled in their survey on runners current feelings, we wait and see...

Take care, happy running and keep cool :thumbsup:

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
Another tough orienteering style race for me today, checked the results and was surprised to see someone had managed to get all the checkpoints with time to spare - turns out that they are ranked no2 in the UK

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Great book, great character, great runner and great detail of life behind the Iron Curtain. I unknowingly drove 100 miles from his museum last autumn and regret not paying a visit. His wife died this March at a ripe 97 years old.

Looking forward to getting into it Gaffer!

In other news, there were some seriously rapid times at the super fast Podium 5k road race at the weekend.
The British road 5k record was broken by US-based Brit Marc Scott in 13:20 :eek: (he runs for the pro-team Bowerman Track Club in Portland, Oregon.)
Sussex's very own international ultra-runner Tom Evans clocked a 13:41 :salute:
In the ladies, Beth Potter won in 15:24 (fifth on the UK all-time list) :mad:

Here's a link to the Facebook live stream - https://en-gb.facebook.com/runningliveuk/videos/vb.1104775182916880/298650151389846/?type=3&theater

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Another tough orienteering style race for me today, checked the results and was surprised to see someone had managed to get all the checkpoints with time to spare - turns out that they are ranked no2 in the UK

I bumped into a guy at the Bottom of Beeding Hill a while back who was big into orienteering (I think I mentioned it on here). He'd won loads of comps over the years and lives just down the road from me in Shoreham-by-Sea – it might've been him?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My weight continues a downward trend, as you'd expect with the mileage being covered, came in at a new low of 145lbs yesterday which looking up on conversion is about 10.36 stone. I'm probably at the lower end of ideal weight for my height now, 'eat out to help out' will probably help reverse out some of these gains over the month :lolol:

Weight doesn't have to fall with mileage - you just need to be an absolute glutton, as well as maintain a healthy intake of alcohol on a near-daily basis. I'm Exhibit A with regard to that particular methodology!

My weight has remained pretty much constant over the last year - and it was only a year ago that I was able to run again, having lost three stone with no running at all over the preceding seven months.

45 miles for me last week, which is about par now, including getting lost on some lovely forest trails in Dorset where we were camping at the beginning of the week. Because I only ever run from home, I don't get much opportunity for forest trails. I have all the downland I could ever need, but not much in the way of sustained tree coverage.

Unfortunately a few nights on an airbed stuffed up my back, meaning I had a few days of really slowing down, pretty much enforced when every footstrike was jarring my back. It's still not completely better, but it's improved and I was able to cover ten miles on the road yesterday, averaging 8:11 pace, which feels reasonable enough.

My run streak is now up to 192 days, so my target will be to see if I can make that (at least) a full year, as well as seeing if I can hit 2,020 miles this year - I'm currently on 1,151.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
New challenge for me. Swimming the Hove Prom Parkrun 5k before September. I need to be ready to fire for my running return.

Good luck with this! I'll be interested to hear how much 'running fitness' you lose (or not). I think you might still come back with times better than my current one: 22:49, my best since my (shameful) attempt to claim a time achieved with a gale force wind behind me a couple of months ago.

I think the Parkrun team is very much 'on the case' to get the show back on the road. They sent out a policy framework document the other day which was very detailed and considered but unless I missed something didn't actually give a target date for resumption. As I usually do a run along the Worthing prom on a Saturday morning I see a number of PR regulars and get (and give) the occasional nod of rather baleful recognition. I saw Michael Rix on Saturday looking at about half speed.

Given the apparent running boom that's taken off since lockdown it'll be interesting to see many newbies turn up - and how many regulars opt for non-participation.

As we've seen some longer events are back on. My mate told me of a 100 mile ultra in north Devon that his pal was in. 'Only' managed a mere 50 miles as did many others. But bloody hell, in that heat.........

Good luck with the swimming. I bet it's a bit cooler than rowing indoors in 34 degrees where you just kind of melt.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good luck with this! I'll be interested to hear how much 'running fitness' you lose (or not). I think you might still come back with times better than my current one: 22:49, my best since my (shameful) attempt to claim a time achieved with a gale force wind behind me a couple of months ago.

I think the Parkrun team is very much 'on the case' to get the show back on the road. They sent out a policy framework document the other day which was very detailed and considered but unless I missed something didn't actually give a target date for resumption. As I usually do a run along the Worthing prom on a Saturday morning I see a number of PR regulars and get (and give) the occasional nod of rather baleful recognition. I saw Michael Rix on Saturday looking at about half speed.

Given the apparent running boom that's taken off since lockdown it'll be interesting to see many newbies turn up - and how many regulars opt for non-participation.

As we've seen some longer events are back on. My mate told me of a 100 mile ultra in north Devon that his pal was in. 'Only' managed a mere 50 miles as did many others. But bloody hell, in that heat.........

Good luck with the swimming. I bet it's a bit cooler than rowing indoors in 34 degrees where you just kind of melt.

Not sure of running fitness. Usually I lose 10% so around 23". Makes training such a pain that you have to do all that running just to find a couple of minutes.

Not sure I'd do Parkrun this year with the framework document they have come up with. Biggest isssue is the barcode checking afterwards. Arena started track sessions on Monday with social distancing and a 20 person limit. Seemed to go well but don't know how they could do intervals in that heat.

What I am sure of is that I won't be swimming Hove Prom Parkrun. Yesterday I did the first lap, or half the course. It was OK but I swam at low tide and on turning to come back East the current had slightly picked up and it was a drag to get all the way back. The hour in the sea equates to a 4 or 5 mile run for endurance apparently. I must have been the only person shivering yesterday lunchtime. 1.55 miles was my second longest swim behind the tuff fitty Worthing 3K a few years back. So I'll aim to go longer than 3K but make the swim A to B. Cycle to the start, swim home with the current and jog back to bike.

I do believe you're rowing in 34 degrees plus! Keeep at it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Seems hotter today than the past few days. Decided on a walk – as opposed to a run – with the dog and then went off and did my own little 5k run – I was dripping towards the end of it. Pace is down a bit (unsurprisingly), but I still have the will to drag my ass out of the door, even if it means a change of plan – I was all set for some hill reps (the lure of the 'local legend' tag on Strava), but just couldn't face it, even though the hill in question is in the shade.

Stay hydrated, people.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Not sure of running fitness. Usually I lose 10% so around 23". Makes training such a pain that you have to do all that running just to find a couple of minutes.

Not sure I'd do Parkrun this year with the framework document they have come up with. Biggest isssue is the barcode checking afterwards. Arena started track sessions on Monday with social distancing and a 20 person limit. Seemed to go well but don't know how they could do intervals in that heat.

What I am sure of is that I won't be swimming Hove Prom Parkrun. Yesterday I did the first lap, or half the course. It was OK but I swam at low tide and on turning to come back East the current had slightly picked up and it was a drag to get all the way back. The hour in the sea equates to a 4 or 5 mile run for endurance apparently. I must have been the only person shivering yesterday lunchtime. 1.55 miles was my second longest swim behind the tuff fitty Worthing 3K a few years back. So I'll aim to go longer than 3K but make the swim A to B. Cycle to the start, swim home with the current and jog back to bike.

I do believe you're rowing in 34 degrees plus! Keeep at it.

Everything is hard work in this weather. That swim sounds gruelling.

On a positive note, Worthing Harriers had a track event last night. Runners from all over the south east (good turnout from Brighton Phoenix and some of the top London clubs) doing 100, 200 and 800 metres. Worthing has a fast track and conditions by late evening were perfect for sprinting. The standards (including the organisation) were very impressive: 2 track records broken and numerous PBs. But the star of the evening was a 12 year old girl who in the 100 and 200 took on and beat older competitors and in the course of the evening became the number 1 in Europe for her age group. In ten years time, who knows how good she might be.

A really top evening for all concerned, although I'm not really sure how the social distancing issue was handled.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here