Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
New running-related book day. I've gone for Richard Askwith's Zatopek Today We Die A Little. Looking forward to getting into it. Thanks for the recommendation a while back [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]. :thumbsup:

Is the paperback edition small print?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
New running-related book day. I've gone for Richard Askwith's Zatopek Today We Die A Little. Looking forward to getting into it. Thanks for the recommendation a while back [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]. :thumbsup:

Early thoughts on the book? I’m on the final 40 pages of another Askwith book ‘Feet in the clouds’ very good but up to this point I’ve preferred the Zatopek one.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Is the paperback edition small print?

hey, no thankfully the print size is pretty standard.

Early thoughts on the book? I’m on the final 40 pages of another Askwith book ‘Feet in the clouds’ very good but up to this point I’ve preferred the Zatopek one.

hey mate, had a busy week so only managed to read the first couple of chapters but I'm really enjoying it so far and think I'm going to love it. I have to admit I didn't know anything about Zatopek so already blown away reading what he did at the 1952 Olympic games in Helsinki! I've heard Feet In The Clouds is supposed to be great. Askwith's first book, about fell running?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
hey mate, had a busy week so only managed to read the first couple of chapters but I'm really enjoying it so far and think I'm going to love it. I have to admit I didn't know anything about Zatopek so already blown away reading what he did at the 1952 Olympic games in Helsinki! I've heard Feet In The Clouds is supposed to be great. Askwith's first book, about fell running?

He shot to fame in UK with this valiant finish in the London 1948 Olympics. Finish slightly obscured by a tail runner.

Very similar to me......receeding to bald.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Big shout out to Brighton’s own Dan Lawson, ultra-running Superman, who’s been attempting the Lands End to John O’Groats record, in a heatwave.

https://www.fastrunning.com/training/ultra-running/dan-lawson-to-re-attempt-lejog-record/30501

He’s currently on day seven and has reached the lowlands of Scotland.
Just amazing. He’s a lovely bloke too.
You can follow his progress here:

https://live.centurionrunning.com/D...VXf6Ji5F-3jfofB05GFO4FuzX-z9aEuYF1KaB1rUwTQRU
Just driven down the a9 near Inverness and seen this guy (with 1 other)!

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Has anyone experienced Haglund’s deformity before? I’m pretty sure that’s what I’ve got on the back of my right heel and it’s getting worse.

I’ve got a bump/swelling and it’s pretty painful but once I’ve got a couple of miles into a run it feels fine. It can be often more painful walking than running.

I’m currently icing a lot but any other recommendations gratefully received.

Physio appointment booked in for Wednesday for another opinion.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Has anyone experienced Haglund’s deformity before? I’m pretty sure that’s what I’ve got on the back of my right heel and it’s getting worse.

I’ve got a bump/swelling and it’s pretty painful but once I’ve got a couple of miles into a run it feels fine. It can be often more painful walking than running.

First of all I’d stop running . Have you got a residual protrudence on the heel?
Good luck with the physio visit.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

I had something like that years ago, brought on by unforgiving (but fashionable) shoes, added to growing pains. A physio/doctor diagnosed it as being caused by pressure on the bit that protects where the Achilles joins the foot. Ice and circular massage by the thumb did the trick but it took weeks. A thick black tarry lubricant was the magic massage lotion.

I would be in agony at the start of a football match and had to tie the laces of my boots as tight as possible across the top of the foot to relieve the pressure/pain on my heel, resulting in metatarsal problems!

The conditions didn’t have names back then

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Thanks for the responses. Definitely not fashionable shoes though!

You can see the right heel has a bump and looking at photos looks very much like Haglund’s.

WFH is useful as I’ve iced at least 3/4 times per day and that helps. I thought it was getting better last week but probably the worst it’s been this week. I’d say I first noticed a couple of months back but it’s only recently that it can be quite painful to walk.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Thanks for the responses. Definitely not fashionable shoes though!

You can see the right heel has a bump and looking at photos looks very much like Haglund’s.

WFH is useful as I’ve iced at least 3/4 times per day and that helps. I thought it was getting better last week but probably the worst it’s been this week. I’d say I first noticed a couple of months back but it’s only recently that it can be quite painful to walk.

Sorry to hear that mate. I hope it settles down soon.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
12:35 5k set tonight!

Truly epic from Joshua Cheptegei!! Incredible to watch! 12:35:36 :mad: breaking the 5000m world record from Bekele 16 years ago by a whopping 2 seconds. Paced to perfection.

The Ugandan is the future of distant running and will no doubt go on to break records over the longer distances. His 12:51 5k road world record in Monaco back in February was amazing too. He's definitely on for double gold at the Olympics 5000m and 10,000m in Tokyo next year, if it takes place. No way is Mo Farah going to get close to him in the 10,000m. The one down side, unfortunately there will now be the inevitable questions asked... ???

It was an awesome evening of racing (thankfully the BBC signed up to the streaming rights at the last minute) with fantastic results from the Brits Laura Weightman (14:35:44 in the 5k :eek:) Jake Wightman and Brighton's Charlie Grice in the 1500m, and Kyle Langford in the 800m.
Everyone says the track at Monaco is very fast. :wink:

Nice of Cheptegei to make sure he stopped his watch at the end, no doubt for the all important Strava upload :lolol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN9Y6gi24B4

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Truly epic from Joshua Cheptegei!! Incredible to watch! 12:35:36 :mad: breaking the 5000m world record from Bekele 16 years ago by a whopping 2 seconds. Paced to perfection.

The Ugandan is the future of distant running and will no doubt go on to break records over the longer distances. His 12:51 5k road world record in Monaco back in February was amazing too. He's definitely on for double gold at the Olympics 5000m and 10,000m in Tokyo next year, if it takes place. No way is Mo Farah going to get close to him in the 10,000m. The one down side, unfortunately there will now be the inevitable questions asked... ???

It was an awesome evening of racing (thankfully the BBC signed up to the streaming rights at the last minute) with fantastic results from the Brits Laura Weightman (14:35:44 in the 5k :eek:) Jake Wightman and Brighton's Charlie Grice in the 1500m, and Kyle Langford in the 800m.
Everyone says the track at Monaco is very fast. :wink:

Nice of Cheptegei to make sure he stopped his watch at the end, no doubt for the all important Strava upload :lolol:

Noticed the women have got back into tight lycra this summer and now Joshua has followed suit. I'll go and look for my pair from 2005...........:ohmy:

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham

It is unfortunate but sadly true that performances like this will be doubted (by me at least).

Icarus (the film) made it relatively clear how easy it is to dope.
Kenyan athletics is riddled with drug cheats (Uganda is next door)
Its a relatively large improvement on a difficult world record and it looked quite easy for him.
He is almost certainly racing athletes who are doping and beating them

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It is unfortunate but sadly true that performances like this will be doubted (by me at least).

Icarus (the film) made it relatively clear how easy it is to dope.
Kenyan athletics is riddled with drug cheats (Uganda is next door)
Its a relatively large improvement on a difficult world record and it looked quite easy for him.
He is almost certainly racing athletes who are doping and beating them

Level playing field then. The track used is also “ bouncy”. I’d take it.

12:34 can I do a little more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here