Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Good question. Could be a myriad of reasons. Probably the increased mileage, potential weight loss? Increased confidence will all play a part.

I think getting yourself used to running at certain paces so they end up feeling comfortable is another reason. You should look back on your heart rate and see if it was really more comfortable or just felt like it.

:thumbsup: Heart rate is super key I think. Most of my running is done on effort or feel, not pace.

For my "comfortable effort" runs all I have on my Garmin watch screen is time, distance and average heart rate. For those runs, I like to aim to be on or below 140 bpm but it can fluctuate a bit as it's quite hilly where I live so I'm either going up or down. I don't look at my average or lap pace. I don't think there's any need to really.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Thanks chaps. I think it's a combination of a lot of the elements you mentioned, what surprised me was the sudden turnaround since a couple of weeks ago. Definitely the weight loss has played its part. I'm a stone and a half down now (and half a pound off my original target), so hauling less mass around is obviously making a difference.

I learned a long time ago not to get hung up about performances and just enjoy running, or else what's the point? But that's not to say I never want to push myself, so at some point I'll get stuck into the 3k and one-mile challenges.

On another note, I see NZ parkrun has announced its return, I wonder when we'll all be charging around Hove Park again? Can't see it being anytime soon, to be honest. I'll probably be back up to 14.5 stone by then :lolol:

I think the really good consistency is bringing about the improvements in fitness :smile: Yeah the adaptations seem to lead to "bounces" in aerobic improvements, it's not a straight line 45 degree progression, it's more like a step increase, staircase profile line.

Definitely good to periodise the running and throw in a sprinkle of harder efforts now and again, but I'm a big believer in building up aerobic endurance through low intensity effort as our base, to be able to absorb and adapt to the harder efforts safely.

Yeah great news about NZ parkrun! Hopefully the UK will be back by the Autumn/Winter (?) in some form.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
For those that run listening to music, what are your current choices?

I only run 5k so I've been listening to The Who's 'Baba O'Riley' on repeat for the last few evenings. Perhaps not a conventional choice for music to run to but it seems to have taken my performance up a couple of notches. :shrug:

(If [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] were to do the same, he'd only hear it about 3.5 times. Fortunately, I get to enjoy it a couple more times than that :facepalm:)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Nice work! Really strong running! :thumbsup:

I'd say consistency, time spent running (frequency & volume), breeds pace. Not the pace of the runs. I think the benefits of running are pretty simple - the more we run, the better we get at it. Each time we go out for a run, no matter what the pace is, we're improving our aerobic capacity (cardiovascular system) through stressing our body.

Over time the absorption of consistent time spent running brings about positive aerobic adaptations leading to an improvement in pace, but to maintain consistency safely it's best not to work too hard too much.

I see many runners get too hung up on the pace of their runs, leading to working too hard (too much stress) on their runs and risking injuries, resulting in a breakdown in consistency. It's tough to leave our pride at the door when we go out for a run but if we do I think it leads to getting better and faster. It takes time though.

Whenever I think "I really can't be arsed tonight" or get despondent after a poor run, posts like the above give me the added motivation to put my trainers on and just keep going. Cheers.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Definitely good to periodise the running and throw in a sprinkle of harder efforts now and again, but I'm a big believer in building up aerobic endurance through low intensity effort as our base, to be able to absorb and adapt to the harder efforts safely.

I had a good October to Feb on hills/endurance and I’m hanging onto it. My A race for this year is now Saturday’s 5k race. Had a few weeks out prior due to adductor and having a week off Recovering after running one measly mile (The GNT Mile). Desperate for a medal place in the clubs strong over 60’s I’ve taken drastic measures.
Two speed sessions and a flat out 5K in 6 days. Normally I’d do one such session a week and none near a flat out.
On top of that I ran yesterday’s above 5k pace which is not recommended. Hope I recover and don’t burn out!
Interestingly many other entrants have attempted already and they have been up to 30 secs off pace. All of us training too hard, perhaps.
Anyway no time for doubts and time to focus on Saturday. 6:55, 6:50. 6:45 plus anything left in the tank. First race run out in the 4 month old Vaporfly too. Might even get some adrenaline in 3 days, if my legs stop burning!

Back to slow hills after Saturday...

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

I only run 5k so I've been listening to The Who's 'Baba O'Riley' on repeat for the last few evenings. Perhaps not a conventional choice for music to run to but it seems to have taken my performance up a couple of notches. :shrug:

(If [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] were to do the same, he'd only hear it about 3.5 times. Fortunately, I get to enjoy it a couple more times than that :facepalm:)

I tried listening to music once about six years ago. The Ramones, short sharp tracks but even though I love their music I didn’t like running with it.

A lot of people like Podcasts and I can see why that would work on a slow recovery run.

For me though I enjoy running and don’t feel like I need any distraction.

I think as well, I listen to music a lot, go to gigs when they’re on so I don’t feel as though I need to get a fix from anywhere else.

In fact I have a bit of a pet hate of music and sports combining. Goal music at football. No. Goal music for a boundary or wicket, most certainly not. Tennis. Why?

Walk on music for darts & boxing. Yes, that’s the exception for me.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton

On a slower run I will listen to a podcast, I find I can often get lost in it and the KM's drift on by without really realising. On an effort run though I wont listen to anything.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I had a good October to Feb on hills/endurance and I’m hanging onto it. My A race for this year is now Saturday’s 5k race. Had a few weeks out prior due to adductor and having a week off Recovering after running one measly mile (The GNT Mile). Desperate for a medal place in the clubs strong over 60’s I’ve taken drastic measures.
Two speed sessions and a flat out 5K in 6 days. Normally I’d do one such session a week and none near a flat out.
On top of that I ran yesterday’s above 5k pace which is not recommended. Hope I recover and don’t burn out!
Interestingly many other entrants have attempted already and they have been up to 30 secs off pace. All of us training too hard, perhaps.
Anyway no time for doubts and time to focus on Saturday. 6:55, 6:50. 6:45 plus anything left in the tank. First race run out in the 4 month old Vaporfly too. Might even get some adrenaline in 3 days, if my legs stop burning!

Back to slow hills after Saturday...

You are going for it!

As for me, Artie sums me up perfectly:

I see many runners get too hung up on the pace of their runs, leading to working too hard (too much stress) on their runs and risking injuries, resulting in a breakdown in consistency. It's tough to leave our pride at the door when we go out for a run but if we do I think it leads to getting better and faster. It takes time though.

Hence today (now my standard midweek effort) I managed 7K in 33.01, some 70 seconds faster than last week. Because I (for now) now only run twice a week, I'm desperate not to see my times slip too badly as (at my age) I might never get back there again. This is probably not sensible. Old dogs....etc.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You are going for it!

As for me, Artie sums me up perfectly:

Hence today (now my standard midweek effort) I managed 7K in 33.01, some 70 seconds faster than last week. Because I (for now) now only run twice a week, I'm desperate not to see my times slip too badly as (at my age) I might never get back there again. This is probably not sensible. Old dogs....etc.

Mixed with the rowing machine I can see that works from your performances. Bad news for me. The Gasson has no runners in his old 65+ group for this weeks 5k relay so he’s dropped down into my age group with this Jog tonight. Bloody 67 year olds!
20:14

D

Deleted member 2719

Watched some geezer on the net last night trying to explain how to run more efficiently, and put it in to practice, this morning in the lovely rain.

Jurys out to whether it helped, I was quicker than of recent, but I did slip back into my low lift and leaning forwards, towards the last 2k.

Has anyone else changed their running technique?

How long did it take you to perfect it?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Watched some geezer on the net last night trying to explain how to run more efficiently, and put it in to practice, this morning in the lovely rain.

Jurys out to whether it helped, I was quicker than of recent, but I did slip back into my low lift and leaning forwards, towards the last 2k.

Has anyone else changed their running technique?

How long did it take you to perfect it?

I have two styles. The scuttle - for longer distances. The super scuttle - for shorter distances. That's it. Years ago I did try to lengthen my stride but I soon flipped back to my trusty two. (Occasionally I imagine myself to have a long and languid stride pattern that eats up the ground like Billy Bunter in a tuck shop, but that's as near as I'll ever get.)

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I read it in 3.5 days. Superb book.

I finished Hutchinson’s Endure book in 10 days which is good for me. Agreed, it was a great read.

Do you now run with a big smile on your face and “loose lips”? However ridiculous it sounds, I think it works!

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Mixed with the rowing machine I can see that works from your performances. Bad news for me. The Gasson has no runners in his old 65+ group for this weeks 5k relay so he’s dropped down into my age group with this Jog tonight. Bloody 67 year olds!
20:14

Wow that is mightily impressive!! It reminded me of this 70 year old in the US that ran a 2:54 in a marathon last year (he went sub 3 three times in 2019). His philosophy? Just run, a lot. :lolol:

I love the top comment on the video...

"Imagine training for a marathon for months, and then halfway through the race you get passed by a 70 year old. Its just crazy. Mad respect for this dude."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjDsILv40XM

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Wow that is mightily impressive!! It reminded me of this 70 year old in the US that ran a 2:54 in a marathon last year (he went sub 3 three times in 2019). His philosophy? Just run, a lot. :lolol:

I love the top comment on the video...

"Imagine training for a marathon for months, and then halfway through the race you get passed by a 70 year old. Its just crazy. Mad respect for this dude."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjDsILv40XM

:lol::lol:
I also like the runner's comment that all distance age records are there for his taking/setting over the next 50 years.

Back to Paul Gasson. He ran 20:30 the day before and wasn't happy with it! An 84.6% AG for the old man around the lifetime average.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
:lol::lol:
I also like the runner's comment that all distance age records are there for his taking/setting over the next 50 years.

Back to Paul Gasson. He ran 20:30 the day before and wasn't happy with it! An 84.6% AG for the old man around the lifetime average.

Paul must have stayed as fit as a flea over many many years of running. Aerobically he must be off the charts. Pretty incredible.

D

Deleted member 2719

I have two styles. The scuttle - for longer distances. The super scuttle - for shorter distances. That's it. Years ago I did try to lengthen my stride but I soon flipped back to my trusty two. (Occasionally I imagine myself to have a long and languid stride pattern that eats up the ground like Billy Bunter in a tuck shop, but that's as near as I'll ever get.)

I plan to try my new technique for 5 runs and judge whether I feel its been worthwhile.

Who knows, I may give the super scuttle ago!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I finished Hutchinson’s Endure book in 10 days which is good for me. Agreed, it was a great read.

Do you now run with a big smile on your face and “loose lips”? However ridiculous it sounds, I think it works!

Certainly not tonight. A painful 5k Time Trial. 4th day running in a row and again you cannot under estimate the importance of rest days.

The 3k pb Monday meant legs weren’t there from the outset and in the end the biggest boost for me is mentally I didn’t give it up and pull out, so maybe the Endure book has helped.

Definite rest day tomorrow and I’ll try to stick to just the 1 pace session per week rather than 2.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here