Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
My miles for the year now stands at 1000.92.

I've also hit a new weight low today of 148 lb, down from 185 lb when I started regular weighing back in Feb 2018.

Fish and chips tonight to celebrate the new milestones achieved :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Certainly not tonight. A painful 5k Time Trial. 4th day running in a row and again you cannot under estimate the importance of rest days.

The 3k pb Monday meant legs weren’t there from the outset and in the end the biggest boost for me is mentally I didn’t give it up and pull out, so maybe the Endure book has helped.

Definite rest day tomorrow and I’ll try to stick to just the 1 pace session per week rather than 2.

Rest days, schmest days!

I'm continuing to run my knee injury off. It is bizarre that I still walk in pain and with a limp, yet I can sort of run OK. Yesterday I did four miles - the first mile was still quite sore, but after that my leg loosened up a bit, allowing my miles to go from 8:56 - 7:58 - 7:33 - 7:32.

I'll up the distance a little bit today and see if the improvement continues.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Rest days, schmest days!

I'm continuing to run my knee injury off. It is bizarre that I still walk in pain and with a limp, yet I can sort of run OK. Yesterday I did four miles - the first mile was still quite sore, but after that my leg loosened up a bit, allowing my miles to go from 8:56 - 7:58 - 7:33 - 7:32.

No way would I play the wise old git role, but I think I'd start from the position that any 'streak' must finish sometime (unless you are Ron Hill) and that an injury is a good time to simply press 'pause' maybe? (It's all about playing the long game.)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No way would I play the wise old git role, but I think I'd start from the position that any 'streak' must finish sometime (unless you are Ron Hill) and that an injury is a good time to simply press 'pause' maybe? (It's all about playing the long game.)

It's a valid and sensible point, but I'll pass for now!

In other news, I enjoy a lot of the articles that come up on Tempo. Take a look (or don't) - https://tempojournal.com

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
My miles for the year now stands at 1000.92.

I've also hit a new weight low today of 148 lb, down from 185 lb when I started regular weighing back in Feb 2018.

Fish and chips tonight to celebrate the new milestones achieved :thumbsup:

Good work on all counts. Enjoy the well-deserved fish and chips :thumbsup:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Another non-update update from the London Marathon this morning on the rescheduled date of Oct. 4th. Next update by July 28th...

It seems quite a few people are getting annoyed that a decision hasn't been made by now.

It's week 1 of my 16 week marathon programme this week and I'm quite happy to tick along until it's decided. No point stressing over the uncontrollables.

I totally appreciate a lot of people need to invest a lot of time to train and organise travel/accommodation though.

https://twitter.com/LondonMarathon/status/1273918279535525888

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Another non-update update from the London Marathon this morning on the rescheduled date of Oct. 4th. Next update by July 28th...

It seems quite a few people are getting annoyed that a decision hasn't been made by now.

It's week 1 of my 16 week marathon programme this week and I'm quite happy to tick along until it's decided. No point stressing over the uncontrollables.

I totally appreciate a lot of people need to invest a lot of time to train and organise travel/accommodation though.

I was just reading this. It seems a bit ridiculous in my opinion.

I know a few people here who are signed up for it and they're not sure what to do. One guy hasn't bothered rearranging flights and I'm not even sure he's got accommodation booked. He doesn't want to give up on it though.

It's one thing for small, local events starting up. Can anyone honestly see 40,000 runners and many times that spectators crowding the streets of London in October though?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

I can see that travel and accommodation are obviously an issue, but I don’t see why so many London runners are getting so hot under the collar about training schedules - it’s 16 weeks away and marathon training doesn’t really get heavy until about week 9 or so, by which time it should be clear if it’s happening. Just start your training and if it’s cancelled in a couple of months the worst case is that you go into winter training for spring races with a decent base of running fitness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Watched some geezer on the net last night trying to explain how to run more efficiently, and put it in to practice, this morning in the lovely rain.

Jurys out to whether it helped, I was quicker than of recent, but I did slip back into my low lift and leaning forwards, towards the last 2k.

Has anyone else changed their running technique?

How long did it take you to perfect it?

Yes, absolutely.

Picked up a book at the airport before a business trip several years ago that had a tagline about ‘injury-free running’ or something (I’d had multiple injuries at that point). Turns out it was ‘chi running’........a lot of the book made sense so I tried to use the technique. Then booked on to a ChiRunning workshop and it all became clear.......really did make a huge difference. It’s basically all about efficiency- taking the weight/impact off your knees and using gravity. Definitely worth a read, and if that piques your interest a workshop will help enormously

https://www.chirunning.com

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Rest days, schmest days!

Six miles today @ 7:43/mile.

Running is easy. Walking is painful. Go figure.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I was just reading this. It seems a bit ridiculous in my opinion.

I know a few people here who are signed up for it and they're not sure what to do. One guy hasn't bothered rearranging flights and I'm not even sure he's got accommodation booked. He doesn't want to give up on it though.

It's one thing for small, local events starting up. Can anyone honestly see 40,000 runners and many times that spectators crowding the streets of London in October though?

I can see that travel and accommodation are obviously an issue, but I don’t see why so many London runners are getting so hot under the collar about training schedules - it’s 16 weeks away and marathon training doesn’t really get heavy until about week 9 or so, by which time it should be clear if it’s happening. Just start your training and if it’s cancelled in a couple of months the worst case is that you go into winter training for spring races with a decent base of running fitness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The easiest option would definitely be to call it a day and cancel this year and let everyone who wishes to defer to April 2021 to do so. However, that would obviously make it very hard to open up space / to sell charity places for people to enter for next year. Today the thought of it taking place in October with tens of thousands of runners and potentially even more people spectating does sound a little pie in the sky but if there's any marathon in the world that has the resources ($$$) and need ($$$) to continue to keep the door open and explore making it a "safe bubble" event it's London.

I have a lot of sympathy for the overseas runners in particular who must be fretting over whether to book/cancel flights and accommodation etc.(that's even if they can find a flight!) and there's thousands of people in limbo in terms of what a cancellation means for their charity place.

But yes, I'm puzzled by those complaining that they don't know whether they should bother to start training again (and that the continued uncertainty is just not good enough :tantrum:) does sound a bit silly. A few weeks of running for physical and mental well-being benefits if for nothing else, before a decision is made at the end of July, isn't the worst thing in the world! They never know, they might actually enjoy it. :smile:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Forget London, just remembered it would have been Weakest Link either last Wednesday or this Wednesday. It was 19th June last year and a great night it was too.

Perhaps we should try our own Weakest Link race from the various posters on here?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Is anybody doing the Phoenix 24 today?

For those that don’t know, it’s a virtual event (of course). You’ve got to run at least a mile, on the hour, every hour. Started at 08:00 with the final mile due at 07:00 tomorrow morning.

I’m in. First mile done. Just the 23 to go. That will bring up my 1,000 miles for the year on the summer solstice. Nice.

D

Deleted member 2719

Yes, absolutely.

Picked up a book at the airport before a business trip several years ago that had a tagline about ‘injury-free running’ or something (I’d had multiple injuries at that point). Turns out it was ‘chi running’........a lot of the book made sense so I tried to use the technique. Then booked on to a ChiRunning workshop and it all became clear.......really did make a huge difference. It’s basically all about efficiency- taking the weight/impact off your knees and using gravity. Definitely worth a read, and if that piques your interest a workshop will help enormously

https://www.chirunning.com

Cheers, I will take a look.

I do not have too many problems with injury while running it's mainly twinged around my favoured lower back prolapsing disc!
Fortunately, I have built my core much stronger and I know the right exercises to do to help it recover as quickly as possible.

How long do you feel it took to perfect this style in kilometres???

On the plus side I went out again this morning, with only one rest day in the middle, I think the last time I did that was in the '80s!

I had know tiredness in my body whatsoever.:rave:

How often do you and others run on here???

D

Deleted member 2719

Six miles today @ 7:43/mile.

Running is easy. Walking is painful. Go figure.

I am no physio, just the voice of reason, but could it be when you're running the muscles supporting the knee joint are all fired up as they need to be???

When walking perhaps they don't need to be so intense.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Is anybody doing the Phoenix 24 today?

For those that don’t know, it’s a virtual event (of course). You’ve got to run at least a mile, on the hour, every hour. Started at 08:00 with the final mile due at 07:00 tomorrow morning.

I’m in. First mile done. Just the 23 to go. That will bring up my 1,000 miles for the year on the summer solstice. Nice.

Good luck today and tonight. I know [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] is doing it. I'll think of you both in the middle of the night when I go for a pee!

My running is done for the day and very happy with the legs and short preparation. Managed to find 72 seconds on last weeks paced run by [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] with a 20:46 effort. Are Nike Vaporfly Next that good!!??

6:37, 6:45,6:42 and 6:39 pace run in. Out into 10mph wind and back with its assistance. So went off slightly too fast plus couldn't find anything for the run in.Big improvement on last week and think I can find more than that.

Preston Park Virtual Magic Mile is back on from Sunday to Wednesday, so will give the mile another bash.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
A good run this evening after two rest days.

Pleasingly, I'm now covering 4 miles in the same time I was taking to cover 3.1 miles just a few months ago. I think taking rest days more frequently is definitely helping.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
17/24 done. 7 more miles to go. Beginning to fantasise about the 07:00 bath, a hot chocolate and bed.

How are you getting on [MENTION=24168]jimi[/MENTION]ngham? 6 now to go and fatigue is becoming an issue for me along with chaffing around my crutch. I think the next 3 will be the toughest as it will be getting light just after 4 and I’m hoping that brings renewed energy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here