Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My local club has a vast range of runners - from sub 3 marathoners and sub 17 5k runners, through the mid pack plodders like me to the much slower. Always someone to chase during races and club sessions.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Erddig (Nr Wrexham) 10k for me this weekend as a warm up for Conwy half marathon in November. Then training starts for Brighton.

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
I'm doing a 10k this Sunday. It's in barcelona, but if anyone is interested they have something called bcn10k challenge. It basically has one to two 10k races each month from now until June. They take part in the different neighborhoods in the city. It's a really nice way to have a look around.
Thought I would post this as some were saying they look to run where they would like to go.
In my opinion the city is best visited in October or end of March early April time, less tourists and not too hot.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thanks Dazzer - I've steadily gotten quicker. Running most lunch times is doing wonders for my times, just getting the consistency going really. For a while I wasn't able to sleep very well, so I was running every morning which very quickly reduced my times. I'm caught between running and cycling at the moment.

How often do you run? Do you run with anybody else? My times were fairly consistent and not greatly improving until I ran with someone much quicker which picked up my interest and times. Your running partner is very key, in my opinion. My lunch time runs are with a girl at work, if I didn't have company I doubt I'd be as consistent getting out there and doing it.

I normally run solo, to be honest. parkrun is as close as I get to having running partners. But it's something to consider, as I'm keen to bring that time back down. I've tried to vary runs (adding in fartlek and hill work) and trying to do regular long runs, as this is what I was doing when I got down to sub-21. Like you, am between biking and running (to triathlon training and working up to some decent distance rides next year), but need to get the balance right, and increase the regularity.

Agreed. Join a club......

I would do, but I tend to (and prefer to, if I'm honest) run at silly hours in the morning. Unless there is club with like-minded individuals who do the same in Shoreham-by-Sea, it's not really an option. I don't really have the time during the rest of the day...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
For those trying to break a 5k or 10k PB, the question I have is: how are you training? For many (most?) runners, training means going out and plodding along at the same speed 3-5 times a week. To be the most effective, you need to do at least 2x sessions a week on intervals at a pace that is significantly faster than your target race pace. So if you're aiming for a 20 min 5k, do reps of 6-10 reps of 2-3 mins at 3-45min/km pace with 1-2 mins recovery in between.

Just a little drunken advice. Personally, I've just knackered my left Achilles, so will be putting my feet up for 1-2 weeks :).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
For those trying to break a 5k or 10k PB, the question I have is: how are you training? For many (most?) runners, training means going out and plodding along at the same speed 3-5 times a week. To be the most effective, you need to do at least 2x sessions a week on intervals at a pace that is significantly faster than your target race pace. So if you're aiming for a 20 min 5k, do reps of 6-10 reps of 2-3 mins at 3-45min/km pace with 1-2 mins recovery in between.

Just a little drunken advice. Personally, I've just knackered my left Achilles, so will be putting my feet up for 1-2 weeks :).

Is it okay to do the intervals on a treadmill or should I stick to the road?

I'm doing a 10k this Sunday. It's in barcelona, but if anyone is interested they have something called bcn10k challenge. It basically has one to two 10k races each month from now until June. They take part in the different neighborhoods in the city. It's a really nice way to have a look around.
Thought I would post this as some were saying they look to run where they would like to go.
In my opinion the city is best visited in October or end of March early April time, less tourists and not too hot.

Love Barcelona. Did the marathon this year & also did it back in 2004 in March. Yes, it was warm on both occasions!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

I think tread mills are ok for pure interval training but variety is also important, so it's good to mix it up with different surfaces e.g off road and some hills. Also a key learning for me for me was understanding that upper body and core strength are big contributors to speed and most importantly injury prevention. So I think is a mix of gym work, interval training and racing are all big helps to improving speed.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

In my opinion, it's definitely ok. I think that treadmill interval training is very effective because it's easy to be very disciplined about keeping your speed up during your efforts. Intervals also prevent boredom on the treadmill.

I do plenty over the winter. A really good session is as follows:

Add 1.5 mins to you 5k PB (or target PB) and work out the average km/h speed to achieve this. Then run in intervals of 1 min easy and 2 mins hard - easy pace needs to be 3km/h below the average target pace, and the hard pace at 1.5 km/h above. Repeat these 3 minute reps until you've done 5k.

Obviously increase the average speed if it feels too easy, and, as usual, set the gradient to 1% to offset lack of wind resistance.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
In my opinion, it's definitely ok. I think that treadmill interval training is very effective because it's easy to be very disciplined about keeping your speed up during your efforts. Intervals also prevent boredom on the treadmill.

I do plenty over the winter. A really good session is as follows:

Add 1.5 mins to you 5k PB (or target PB) and work out the average km/h speed to achieve this. Then run in intervals of 1 min easy and 2 mins hard - easy pace needs to be 3km/h below the average target pace, and the hard pace at 1.5 km/h above. Repeat these 3 minute reps until you've done 5k.

Obviously increase the average speed if it feels too easy, and, as usual, set the gradient to 1% to offset lack of wind resistance.

Thanks for the advice. I'm in my 50's and new to all this so targets won't be inspiring but still keen to improve my PB.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I hit a 19:56 today in the Preston Park Parkrun (important not to look for the results of the Preston Parkrun!), and finished 12th. My time would only have been good enough for 24th last week, so it suggests a drop in the quality of the field - but it doesn't bother me in the slightest if I'm honest.

I need to do more hill reps going forward, and more interval sprints rather than just putting in distance runs - as suggested. I'll start looking at running clubs as well, it'd be good to meet new people, have a more organised and structured run and pick up the times. I'm sacking off playing football for a while, so this is a wise exchange.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I hit a 19:56 today in the Preston Park Parkrun (important not to look for the results of the Preston Parkrun!), and finished 12th. My time would only have been good enough for 24th last week, so it suggests a drop in the quality of the field - but it doesn't bother me in the slightest if I'm honest.

I need to do more hill reps going forward, and more interval sprints rather than just putting in distance runs - as suggested. I'll start looking at running clubs as well, it'd be good to meet new people, have a more organised and structured run and pick up the times. I'm sacking off playing football for a while, so this is a wise exchange.

Thats an impressive time and one I'm aiming towards but I would need to take 80 seconds of my PB to achieve so it's going to be tough. A friend uses Withdean athletics track for training with a group and I can imagine fast track training would have a hugely beneficial effect on your 5 & 10k times.

Prior to the Brighton marathon I ran with 3 very good runners who really pushed me along at a decent pace for fifteen miles. On your own it's sometime difficult to push yourself outside of the comfort zone unless you go out with a specific goal and a Garmin watch to track.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Well done NE - great effort. I got close to my best time of the year (22:16), somehow, so I must be doing something right...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I realise this is probably a thread full of expertise runners who will SCOFF at my complete ignorance but a quick question for you.

I don't really LIKE running but I want to get into it. I play football twice a week so have a basic level of fitness and have gone for a few 5k runs.

Would I be COMPLETELY naive to consider entering the half marathon in Feb? Is that just a ridiculous ask or can it be done?

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I realise this is probably a thread full of expertise runners who will SCOFF at my complete ignorance but a quick question for you.

I don't really LIKE running but I want to get into it. I play football twice a week so have a basic level of fitness and have gone for a few 5k runs.

Would I be COMPLETELY naive to consider entering the half marathon in Feb? Is that just a ridiculous ask or can it be done?

Well you haven't said how you found or did in those 5ks. However, the answer is you'll be fine, February is months away so plenty of time to put the miles in between now and then.

I did my first half marathon this year... as part of a half ironman triathlon which I was really under-prepared for. I run twice a week maximum (I really need to run more), typically a one hour one trained session where we work on pacing/intervals/hill reps etc (the hour includes warm-up and cool down), and the other is typically just a 5k park run. In my training the longest I ever run was 15km, and that was a bit of a one off.

I'm not going to lie, it was pretty painful towards the end, but I did it in under 2 hours having swum 1.9km and cycled 53 miles (course was a bit short) beforehand.

You'll be fine.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Well you haven't said how you found or did in those 5ks. However, the answer is you'll be fine, February is months away so plenty of time to put the miles in between now and then.

I did my first half marathon this year... as part of a half ironman triathlon which I was really under-prepared for. I run twice a week maximum (I really need to run more), typically a one hour one trained session where we work on pacing/intervals/hill reps etc (the hour includes warm-up and cool down), and the other is typically just a 5k park run. In my training the longest I ever run was 15km, and that was a bit of a one off.

I'm not going to lie, it was pretty painful towards the end, but I did it in under 2 hours having swum 1.9km and cycled 53 miles (course was a bit short) beforehand.

You'll be fine.

That's great. Thanks for the reply. I did a couple of 5k runs (ive never run any distance prior to that) and did them in around 25mins. I must admit I was tired by the end of them but that was leg tiredness rather than fatigue and lack oif breath.

I'm tempted but just feel I lack the love of running to go for training runs of any significance. I will have to play it by ear.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester

Go for it... A half marathon is a bit of a bigger task than a 5k but it's not entirely different. Make sure you get a handful of 10k races under your belt and you'll be fine.

You'll also find that the crowd will be a huge boost, so even if you've never run over 10 miles before the race it is certainly doable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here