Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Talking of 10k races, anyone else doing the Chestnut Tree House one on Sunday?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just got back from the Schorfheid lauf, an off-road/forest trail half marathon around a lake near the polish border. Quite a tough race and rather hot but it was stunning running through the Forest on trails and at times single file beaten down twisting paths. I got the train there but had to cycle 6 miles to the start in the woods. 14 miles total running and 12 miles cycling. I've earnt this beer I'm now drinking.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Well, I posted a time of 45:56 at the Hatchlands Park 10k today. Nice course, nice venue, nice time of year for it.

More people should know about it and take part next year.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Well, I posted a time of 45:56 at the Hatchlands Park 10k today. Nice course, nice venue, nice time of year for it.

More people should know about it and take part next year.

Good effort I'm in for the Brooks 10k in November along the front. There is another 10k along Hove Seafront 2weeks today but I'll be heavily drinking after the Blackpool game.

Was the course conjusive to PB's and how much of an affect did the hot weather have?

My aim is to go below 45 minutes for the first time which I'm currently training towards, got to 47:05 in April but I'm only just recovering from injury so still plenty of work between now and November.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
The Hatchlands Park course is undulating, but there aren't any nastily steep hills - a couple of long shallow drags instead. It was quite cool up here this morning so ideal for running.

I have no idea about the pb potential as this was my first 10k, I just wanted more people to know about the event because I think its good enough to get more support.

www.hatchlandsrun.org.uk

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Been a fairly keen runner about once a wk for a while. Started doing 10k / 15k runs & even a half marathon just on my own this yr. About 2 months ago after playing golf had some major back pain - 2 months later & 3 chiropractor & acupuncture visits and still getting a lot of pain just from sitting. Dare not run yet as hurts instantly. So gutted I haven't been able to run - anyone got any advice pls?!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Managed the Peace Love Run in Richmond, CA for my first half. It was next to a correctional facility for crims, which was a bit odd, and the course was mainly cross country. Had originally hoped for around 2 hours, which was perhaps over optimistic but a knackered Achilles' for the last month caught up with me. Good learning experience, and 2:10 gives me something to improve on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Managed the Peace Love Run in Richmond, CA for my first half. It was next to a correctional facility for crims, which was a bit odd, and the course was mainly cross country. Had originally hoped for around 2 hours, which was perhaps over optimistic but a knackered Achilles' for the last month caught up with me. Good learning experience, and 2:10 gives me something to improve on.

Well done Sir. And a good time given it was your first and off-road.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Been a fairly keen runner about once a wk for a while. Started doing 10k / 15k runs & even a half marathon just on my own this yr. About 2 months ago after playing golf had some major back pain - 2 months later & 3 chiropractor & acupuncture visits and still getting a lot of pain just from sitting. Dare not run yet as hurts instantly. So gutted I haven't been able to run - anyone got any advice pls?!

Not really got any advice other than get well soon. I suffered from back issues a few years ago and it was not fun. I saw a physio and had to take 6 months off from running but it all sorted itself out.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Finished CTH 10k in 46:22. Very happy with that, considering I was expecting 47/48 mins, and I'd run a 23 min parkrun the day before. So many people there these days, which is great to see – the chief exec reckons the race raised £50k last year. Pretty good opportunity for a PB, I reckon - lovely and flat course, with only a bit of grass/beach stones to get in the way.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I got the 5:21 train up to Victoria saturday morning to see how far I could run back - 3 Bridges was the answer. I was on the point of exploding so thought better to bail there than carry onto Balcombe and then try to negotiate the train / bus.

It was good running south through the different London suburbs nice and early and 'visited' places I'd never been before. Managed to avoid most of Croydon too.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Good effort. Have a go at London to Brighton.....brilliant event. Loved it last year and will have another go sometime. Well organised, lovely route, idiot-proof route marking and finish by galloping up the home straight at the racecourse

http://www.london2brightonchallenge.com

Cheers. looks good. Certainly must be a better route than I did which was mostly overgrown footpaths alongside main roads!

I piled into that Stabucks at Hooley(?) that used to be a Little Chef - a combination of sticky buns and hot, sweet coffee made the next 45mins and absolute dream. Its amazing how the right food / drink at the right time can make you feel so much better on a long run. Also - savoury snack are overlooked I reckon

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003

I've a had a nagging pain in my back for years. I occasionally visit an osteopath to get everything released, but most of the time I control it through stretching. Most back pain is due to having tight gluts, so any stretches that loosen these are helpful. I have to stretch every day though - if I forget for a few days my back starts playing up again.

I used to also have a really bad pain in my shoulder too - but I cured that by buying a wi-fi mouse for my computer at work and switching the hand I use to control it.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting, was the pain on the side that you were using to control the mouse or the other side?

Yep, I'm right handed and had a pain in my right shoulder, I switched the mouse to my left hand and now I get no pain in my shoulder at all.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Cheers. looks good. Certainly must be a better route than I did which was mostly overgrown footpaths alongside main roads!

I piled into that Stabucks at Hooley(?) that used to be a Little Chef - a combination of sticky buns and hot, sweet coffee made the next 45mins and absolute dream. Its amazing how the right food / drink at the right time can make you feel so much better on a long run. Also - savoury snack are overlooked I reckon

Definitely. I have long since given up in gels for long runs and now use 'real' food after loads of experimentation. Nuts, cheese, eggs, tortilla wraps, sachets of baby food etc. Little and often, and start early in the run. If you do any of the organised ultras you'll find feed stations loaded with basically a picnic - sandwiches, soup, pork pies, fruit, nuts, crisps (the salt is useful too) etc. The instant sugar hit from gels isn't very helpful IMO, other than to dig you out of a low point perhaps, or near the end of a race.

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
Any NSCers doing the Firle HM (or 5/10km) this weekend?

Looks like the course changes should make it slightly easier but could do with a slight drop in temperature IMO even with the standard downs breeze:smile:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not really got any advice other than get well soon. I suffered from back issues a few years ago and it was not fun. I saw a physio and had to take 6 months off from running but it all sorted itself out.

I've a had a nagging pain in my back for years. I occasionally visit an osteopath to get everything released, but most of the time I control it through stretching. Most back pain is due to having tight gluts, so any stretches that loosen these are helpful. I have to stretch every day though - if I forget for a few days my back starts playing up again.

I used to also have a really bad pain in my shoulder too - but I cured that by buying a wi-fi mouse for my computer at work and switching the hand I use to control it.

Thanks guys. Yes funnily enough my chiropractor was laughing at how inflexible I am. I'm only 28 & my calfs were amongst the tightest he's seen. Also it's the bits at the bottom of pelvis where the spine sits that are particularly bad mainly cos of sitting at a desk all day. Although golf triggered it & it's def muscular too so don't know what to believe. Money's tight for the mo so can't continue with chiro altho not sure if worked etc. I can handle a break from golf & playing football no probs - it's the running I'm getting down about!

Also my tightness explains why I'm an absolute plodder when running and v slow haha!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here