Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ran my 79th full marathon yesterday, Loch Ness. Long way to run one, however, there is a daily flight from Gatwick to Inverness via Easy Jet & the price is not much more than a train trip to London. Would recommend it, but if you are after a fast time then forget it. Was my hardest road marathon todate.

That's amazing, well done!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Was just in front of you then Greg, I finished in just under 1:47 which I was really pleased with for my first Half Marathon. I thought it was a really good event, beautiful course, plenty of shade to protect from the worst of the heat although it was still warm. Could n't believe that last hill - seemed to last from about mile 8 to mile 11, continual steady climb - in fact I swear about 11 of the 13 miles was uphill!

Yeah, that one was pretty rough, but the one that got me was around 9 miles, a short steep immediately following a turn to the right. I got through it, I think that took its toll by the time I got to that one you mentioned. Certainly seemed more ups than downs...

Great turnout though, for a relatively small Sussex village – the weather no doubt helped.

Well done on your race.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Yeah, that one was pretty rough, but the one that got me was around 9 miles, a short steep immediately following a turn to the right. I got through it, I think that took its toll by the time I got to that one you mentioned. Certainly seemed more ups than downs...

Great turnout though, for a relatively small Sussex village – the weather no doubt helped.

Well done on your race.

I've got my first half marathon in a couple of weeks, my local one, Swindon. It's supposed to be very hilly compared to most, so not too sure what to expect. Fortunately I do go to a weekly running session, which sometimes will be a hill rep session. Unfortunately that's about the only running I've been doing. Need to up my game ahead of Brighton marathon next year!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've got my first half marathon in a couple of weeks, my local one, Swindon. It's supposed to be very hilly compared to most, so not too sure what to expect. Fortunately I do go to a weekly running session, which sometimes will be a hill rep session. Unfortunately that's about the only running I've been doing. Need to up my game ahead of Brighton marathon next year!

My technique is to get on my toes and focus on the top of the hill until I get to the top – put the effort in getting UP the hill and the you've got the relative ease of the down somewhere along the line... I actually don't mind running up hills in training, but a race environment is totally different.

Good luck.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One other thing about interval training is that the time/distance flies when it's broken up into fast stretches with recovery periods.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

You're brave doing a half on one running session per week! How many miles do you cover in that session?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

You're brave doing a half on one running session per week! How many miles do you cover in that session?

I'm in a similar boat to BA on this one (a fellow cycling geek!). I'm running once a week at the moment as I look towards a Triathlon next year and maybe some 10ks/halfs.

After some pretty serious cycling in my younger years, I fell out of love with it and started running. However injuries forced me out of running about 4 years ago (ACL x1, 2 x hip capsule tears) just as I was getting into it (5k 16.50, 10k 36.50, Half 1.20).

I'm getting the bug again but am mostly sticking with the bike and one run a week due to injury fears. Runs have been fairly sedate at around 4.20min/km pace without too much hip pain.

Any tips on sessions to help preventing the hip injuries returning? It mostly flares with any kind of speed work but maybe hill runs will help?

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I'm in a similar boat to BA on this one (a fellow cycling geek!). I'm running once a week at the moment as I look towards a Triathlon next year and maybe some 10ks/halfs.

After some pretty serious cycling in my younger years, I fell out of love with it and started running. However injuries forced me out of running about 4 years ago (ACL x1, 2 x hip capsule tears) just as I was getting into it (5k 16.50, 10k 36.50, Half 1.20).

I'm getting the bug again but am mostly sticking with the bike and one run a week due to injury fears. Runs have been fairly sedate at around 4.20min/km pace without too much hip pain.

Any tips on sessions to help preventing the hip injuries returning? It mostly flares with any kind of speed work but maybe hill runs will help?

See a physio. Best thing I've done in years.

I train most days (not just running) and I had real problems with my shoulder a year or so after I dislocated it. Plus my knee (which I have dislocated in the past)... oh and also my lower back "flares" up.

Had a few sessions with the Physio Rooms up at Falmer gym... massive improvement, no pain. Much better than osteo, sports massage etc.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares

It's an hour session, but given that it's drill based work I guess distances are typically 5-8km including warm up and cool down. Fortunately it isn't my only exercise as I've taken up triathlon, so my general fitness isn't too bad, although still nowhere near where I want it to be!

Of the 3 sports running definitely leaves me with the more tweaks and pains, especially when I cover longer distances. Therefore, like IL, I tend to shy away from it a bit in preference to the other sports.

I did do a half ironman on a very flat course a couple of months ago, so I guess technically I've done the distance already. I did that run in about 1.55 including a toilet break. Really not sure what time to expect starting with fresh legs, but a hilly course.

The tri club has entered a cross country league over the winter, so I'm hoping to enter a few events and get the running bug a bit more.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
See a physio. Best thing I've done in years.

I train most days (not just running) and I had real problems with my shoulder a year or so after I dislocated it. Plus my knee (which I have dislocated in the past)... oh and also my lower back "flares" up.

Had a few sessions with the Physio Rooms up at Falmer gym... massive improvement, no pain. Much better than osteo, sports massage etc.
I'm married to one! Not a musculoskeletal physio, unfortunately but I've seen plenty of her colleagues. General strengthening was good for the acl.

Most were perplexed by the hip so I went down the sports medicine route in Australia. MRI showed a big lump of scar tissue at the front of my hip capsule and in the rectus femorus (long hip flexor) so, unfortunately, there wasn't much to be done. Hip extension is very limited by this scar tissue so I try to lean forward a but when running.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Of the 3 sports running definitely leaves me with the more tweaks and pains, especially when I cover longer distances. Therefore, like IL, I tend to shy away from it a bit in preference to the other sports.

That's probably because your body isn't conditioned for running - there is nothing like putting in a lot of easy paced miles for strengthening you. I used to have terrible trouble with one of my ankles before I started running, basically any time on my feet would cause it to ache, and now it very rarely bothers me.

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Running the downslink 38 mile ultra Sunday, followed by the Chicago marathon the weekend after. Then beachy head marathon the last weekend of this month.

Am raising money for chestnut tree house, so if anyone fancies throwing a few quid my way, you can do so here www.justgiving.com/alexhall85

It's my first ultra, so wish me luck!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Running the downslink 38 mile ultra Sunday, followed by the Chicago marathon the weekend after. Then beachy head marathon the last weekend of this month.

Am raising money for chestnut tree house, so if anyone fancies throwing a few quid my way, you can do so here www.justgiving.com/alexhall85

It's my first ultra, so wish me luck!!

Good luck ! Did the inaugural one last year. The STE guys organise nice low key events. Not the most exciting of routes but difficult to get lost ! My club are running one of the aid stations (Burgess Hill Runners), give 'em a wave as you fly past !

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Good luck ! Did the inaugural one last year. The STE guys organise nice low key events. Not the most exciting of routes but difficult to get lost ! My club are running one of the aid stations (Burgess Hill Runners), give 'em a wave as you fly past !

Cheers I will do, getting lost is my biggest fear!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Cheers I will do, getting lost is my biggest fear!

Last year the race leader (and eventual winner) went wrong after about 2 miles (right turn onto a footpath through a hedge that was marked but he missed it) serves him right for being too quick. Went past me at about 4/5 miles and was very angry (possibly because I asked him why he was so far back LOL). Other than that, not aware of anyone going wrong, it's all pretty well signposted - and it's an old railway line mostly so doesn't have many sharp turns.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
...depending on timing of my son's football, I might try to get over and cheer you guys on, but we're away at Hailsham so will be mostly driving all morning I suspect :-(

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
As I'm following a training plan for the half marathon I'm entered in March I am once again having to face running during inclement weather, such as today - 15 minutes easy and 5 minutes at 5k pace... am I alone in getting a bit of a kick out of running in the rain?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here