[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I do find it funny how Palace fans used to mock us because we were excited about improved performances and a better of style of play under Potter, simply because we weren't getting the results our performances deserved.

1 win in 9 games Paddy is great though, obviously :bounce:

Additionally, any result for us and their take is always the opposition not turning up. It’s funny how many teams don’t turn up when Brighton play them and get something from the match.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I do find it funny how Palace fans used to mock us because we were excited about improved performances and a better of style of play under Potter, simply because we weren't getting the results our performances deserved.

TBF look who they have played, the only ( but not in hindsight site ) game I expected a win was against Brentford.

And did palace fans mock BHA ? I would say that the ones that see beyond the rivalry could see the improved performance.

One of the things me must not forget and it’s the same on these boards a few mouthy people does not equate to the whole fan base.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
One of the things we must not forget and it’s the same on these boards a few mouthy people does not equate to the whole fan base.

Quite.

As someone from another club, who for reasons unknown, feels the nerdy need to post on here, I think "mouthy" is an appropriate term for you and your fellow troll Dougie with regard to internet forums.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Quite.

As someone from another club, who for reasons unknown, feels the nerdy need to post on here, I think "mouthy" is an appropriate term for you and your fellow troll Dougie with regard to internet forums.

Quite.

And has Dougie explained his homophobic signature on bbs yet? Thought not.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
About Edouard. I said at the time we were competing for his signature that he's someone who'll go on to have a very handy career in the PL and he would be a great addition for us. Also I advised to ignore this stuff about the Scottish leagues as we sign players from all sorts of poorer leagues and many of those go on to do well. I'm feeling there's fewer likely to shout me down now than then.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
About Edouard. I said at the time we were competing for his signature that he's someone who'll go on to have a very handy career in the PL and he would be a great addition for us. Also I advised to ignore this stuff about the Scottish leagues as we sign players from all sorts of poorer leagues and many of those go on to do well. I'm feeling there's fewer likely to shout me down now than then.

There is no evidence, at all, that we were ever competing with anyone for his signature. The rest of the debate is therefore moot.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
There is no evidence, at all, that we were ever competing with anyone for his signature. The rest of the debate is therefore moot.

Well, maybe we weren't, maybe we were. But he's a decent player, was attainable by us at the time and in a position where we're obviously short of numbers. If we weren't in for him we should have been.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004

If I were a Palace fan I'd be happy with better style of play even if the points haul was similar to turgid Roy's or Potter's first two seasons. I'd also have a big f-off tattoo of Nookie Bear on my chest, wear black and bare myself in the Holmesdale on matchdays.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I still stand by him being a great signing. Nobody is saying he's a top 6 striker but we needed somebody as good as Maupay to play with him or instead of him and with a differing style.

He was more likely to come to "a club like Brighton" than most foreign strikers of that level and risk, and was available at a good price plus less dreadful wages than most. I think he'd have done better for us, a slightly above average team who create a lot of chances but with a huge weakness of being dreadful at finishing them than for a equal overall team who are more average across the board.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

How many times has this got to be said? We were not 'competing for his signature'.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
The fact that his wage demands were allegedly £80k per week would have put him out of our price bracket salary wise. Why would we impact our whole wage structure for him when there’s potentially better value elsewhere?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The fact that his wage demands were allegedly £80k per week would have put him out of our price bracket salary wise. Why would we impact our whole wage structure for him when there’s potentially better value elsewhere?

Exactly. He had clearly decided that a move to the Premier League meant a big pay day, and Palace always seem reasonably happy to satisfy large wage demands. Personally I'd have been okayish if we had signed him but not on the terms he clearly expected. He'd be on the bench if Maupay and Welbeck were both fit, and nothing I've seen so far makes me think the Albion recruitment team have made a major error.

SAC

May 21, 2014

I think you need to take the £80k with a pinch of salt. Anyway, if Lallana is on over £90k a week it shows that he wouldn't be out of the price bracket and if he's able to score at least 12 goals a season he could be sold for a decent profit.

As others have said, it may be that there was no interest in him but I would be surprised if that was true. At the moment he looks like he was a good purchase with good stats but it's far too early to say one way or the other.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX

This after-timing writing style reminds me of a previous poster before their flounce..

Edouard hasn't impressed much, not for those sort of wages. A slight improvement on Locadia perhaps.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
This after-timing writing style reminds me of a previous poster before their flounce..

Edouard hasn't impressed much, not for those sort of wages. A slight improvement on Locadia perhaps.

Is it after timing if you've said it before the event?

As a previous poster said, he wouldn't have been our top earner. Strikers inevitably are going to command a higher wage

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
How many times has this got to be said? We were not 'competing for his signature'.

You don't know that any more than I know that we were.

The media speculation at the time was linking us strongly. Which of course doesn't prove anything, but the point stands. This is the sort of signing we should be in for.

I have no doubt he will go on to do very well.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
You don't know that any more than I know that we were.

The media speculation at the time was linking us strongly. Which of course doesn't prove anything, but the point stands. This is the sort of signing we should be in for.

I have no doubt he will go on to do very well.
I suspect that he might know a bit more than you in this case [emoji57]

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
A few thoughts:

If we were in for him but couldn’t afford him then let’s stop talking about becoming an established top ten team because if we truly can’t afford the wages of a player like him from Celtic then until our financial structure changes it won’t happen.

If we weren’t in for him then it seems a missed opportunity. He is clearly a big upgrade on Connolly and is at a level with Welbeck but with a far better fitness record and is at an age where he can grow and develop.

Either way until we finally get the elusive additional forward option and while we only have two fit viable striker options then it will be frustrating for some of us to watch players like this scoring for our rivals. In a handful of games he has already scored more than Connolly managed all last season which grates.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports