Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC's 100 essential albums

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Shocking to you but there can't be anything more personal than music so who are you to say what should and shouldn't be included? Personally, I've never liked Led Zep but the orthodox view is that their music has to be included in any top 100 whereas I'm sure enough of my own musical tastes to stick in Apollo 440's Electroglide in Blue as one of my essential albums. That's not me being clever, that's me saying that I must have played that album a thousand times and is an essential part of my life.

To be honest whole albums of the Beatles leave me feeling nothing. I don't think it's dated at all well for the most part.

BTW - Norman Cook was born in 1963.

Okay, Cook would have been 3. Of course music is personal, but this thread isn't [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION]'s essential 100 albums, its a list of 100 essential albums. You can be objective and not like say Revolver, but still realise it is a seminal moment in music history. I also struggle with Led Zep, but can understand why they are recognised as so influential. I like Apollo 440 too, but included in a list of 100 albums of all time!? No way, not even close. May well make your personal list of 100 favourite albums, but in the context of the history of popular music, that makes the top 100!? Not a chance.

The Beatles hasn't dated well - christ on a bike, listen to Oasis, The Jam, The Stone Roses, Blur, Pulp, The Verve, Radiohead, Franz Ferdinand, U2, Chemical Brothers (Setting Sun is pretty much a cover of Tomorrow Never Knows) the Beatles is in them all, they are still probably the most influential popular musicians of all time.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Sorry, I'm in a bad mood this morning hence the peed off tone.

I nominate Foxbase Alpha by Saint Etienne. Still as fresh as ever which is difficult for a dance based album and quite simply a stunning album from start to finish. I have it in about 5 different formats. If pushed I'd say it was my favourite album of all time.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
31W2ME4NR7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Without doubt the world's greatest ever suicide note.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Sorry, I'm in a bad mood this morning hence the peed off tone.

I nominate Foxbase Alpha by Saint Etienne. Still as fresh as ever which is difficult for a dance based album and quite simply a stunning album from start to finish. I have it in about 5 different formats. If pushed I'd say it was my favourite album of all time.

Thanks Buzzer, it's in.

A Woofer In Tweeters Clothing
Halfnelson
Propaganda
Big Beat
Kimono My House
Indiscreet
Terminal Jive
Pulling Rabbits From a Hat
Plagirism
Gratuatous Sax And Senseless Violins
Excotic Creatures From the Deep
Lil Beethoven
Hello Young Lovers
Whomp That Sucker
No 1 in Heaven
Angst In My Pants
Interior Design
Introducing
Balls
The Seduction Of Ingmar Bergman

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Okay, Cook would have been 3. Of course music is personal, but this thread isn't [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION]'s essential 100 albums, its a list of 100 essential albums. You can be objective and not like say Revolver, but still realise it is a seminal moment in music history. I also struggle with Led Zep, but can understand why they are recognised as so influential. I like Apollo 440 too, but included in a list of 100 albums of all time!? No way, not even close. May well make your personal list of 100 favourite albums, but in the context of the history of popular music, that makes the top 100!? Not a chance.

The Beatles hasn't dated well - christ on a bike, listen to Oasis, The Jam, The Stone Roses, Blur, Pulp, The Verve, Radiohead, Franz Ferdinand, U2, Chemical Brothers (Setting Sun is pretty much a cover of Tomorrow Never Knows) the Beatles is in them all, they are still probably the most influential popular musicians of all time.

The phrase is essential. Led Zep isn't essential to me therefore I don't want it in an essential list. Which comes down to personal taste then which is all music ever is.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Love - Forever Changes gets added due to large number of nominations. I don't get it myself, but you lot obviously want it in.

In where, running list!?
Ok here's my Magnificent 7
All Mod Cons
Exodus
Screamadelica
London Calling
Paris (Supertramp live)
Live at Leeds
Ladies and Gentleman

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Then you just end up with a load of old farts telling you that Led Zep Million and Four is the best album ever closely followed by some badly dated guff from the Beatles and a comment such as "thread closed". Christ on a bike, that phrase bugs the bejasus out of me.

Hey, my balding is genetic!!

and I'm only 37, that isn't old, ask Ryan Giggs!

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
In where, running list!?
Ok here's my Magnificent 7
All Mod Cons
Exodus
Screamadelica
London Calling
Paris (Supertramp live)
Live at Leeds
Ladies and Gentleman

IM going to take three of your nominations and ask for supporting opinions, so folks do these deserve a place

Bob Marley Exodus
Primal Scream Screamadelica
The Clash London Calling

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Has anyone mentioned Van Morrison's Astral Weeks yet?

If not, consider it mentioned. Songs that just ramble on amiably don't come any better than Madame George.

[yt]xrOgYjp20j0[/yt]

Last edited:

Then you just end up with a load of old farts telling you that Led Zep Million and Four is the best album ever closely followed by some badly dated guff from the Beatles and a comment such as "thread closed". Christ on a bike, that phrase bugs the bejasus out of me.

come now, what about 'This' 'Fixtures' FACT and the fuckin ultra annoying 'could do a job' GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrr (look what you've done to me now!):annoyed:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
IM going to take three of your nominations and ask for supporting opinions, so folks do these deserve a place

Bob Marley Exodus
Primal Scream Screamadelica
The Clash London Calling

Exodus definitely.
Screamdelica... I think Xtrmntr is better (controversial)
London Calling. Over-rated in my opinion (controversial). The Clash - The Clash is much better (not controversial, simply a fact).

Last edited:

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Has anyone mentioned Van Morrison's Astral Weeks yet?

If not, consider it mentioned. Somgs that just ramble on amiably don't come any better than Madame George.

[yt]xrOgYjp20j0[/yt]

I like a bit of Jazz noodling. Think this deserves a place, hugely influential ( see talk talk) and for me Vans best album

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Saint Etienne - Foxbase Alpha
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
Everything But the Girl - Walking Wounded
Apollo 440 - Electroglide in Blue
Portishead - Summy
Tricky - Maxinquaye
Bomb the Bass - Clear
Massive Attack - Blue Lines
Money Mark - Mark's Keyboard Repairs
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Michael Mayer - Immer 3
Radiohead - OK Computer
Smiths - Strangeways
Nina Simone - Remixed and Re-imagined
Beth Orton - Trailer Park
Grease OST
Michael Jackson - Bad
Blondie - Parallel Lines
Nick Cave - Nocturama
Leonard Cohen - I'm Your Man
Elliott Smith - View from a Basement on a Hill
Meatloaf - Bat Out of Hell
Sigur Ros - Aegetis Byrjun
Sugarcubes - Life's Too Good
Squeeze - 45s and under
Specials - Specials
New Order - Substance (or Technique)
Happy Mondays - Pills, Thrills and Bellyaches
Primal Scream - Screamadelica
Verve - Urban Hymns
Calvin Harris - I Invented Disco
Menahan Street Band - Menahan Street Band
JJ - No 2
The XX - XX
Carole King - Tapestry
Johnny Cash - At San Quentin Prison
Human League - Dare
Sundays - Reading, Writing and Arithmetic
Madonna - True Blue
Beatles - White Album
Pet Shop Boys - Actually
Pipettes - Pipettes
Grace Jones - Compass Point Sessions
King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown
Waterboys - To The Sea
Unkle - Never Never Land
Ian Brown - Solarized

There's probably loads more but those are the ones that I've thought of in the last 15 minutes that I would add.

Talking of people rifling your CD collection have you been at mine? Simply brilliant list. I'll be over to your music blog when I've got a bit more time. I'd also go with Steve Mason's Boys Outside or Django Django of more recent albums, I'll add another voice of support for Foxbase Alpha too. Innervisions is a WAY better album than Songs in the Key of Life simply because it doesn't have "Isn't She Lovely" on it. Finally a nomination for Carter USMs 101 Damnations please.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oh and [MENTION=14008]Scampi[/MENTION] must have MISSED my nomination for The Seldom Seen kid by Elbow which is lyrically brilliant, musically complex, wonderfully produced and way more ubiquitous than you'd think. Also it won a Mercury Music Prize. So there.

There's my attempted persuasion fella :)

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Absolute bitch to choose which album, but I have gone for Low Life. There are still the scars of JD in it, combined with the movement towards dance in the form of Subculture and The Perfect Kiss. They were never JUST a singles band, although their singles were peerless for a time.

Thing with New Order - they never realesed a truly great album. PCL, Low Life and Technique all great in parts, but each has it flaws I think. I was going to choose 'Substance' but I don't suppose we're allowed compilations!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Saint Etienne - Foxbase Alpha
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
Everything But the Girl - Walking Wounded
Apollo 440 - Electroglide in Blue
Portishead - Summy
Tricky - Maxinquaye
Bomb the Bass - Clear
Massive Attack - Blue Lines
Money Mark - Mark's Keyboard Repairs
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Michael Mayer - Immer 3
Radiohead - OK Computer
Smiths - Strangeways
Nina Simone - Remixed and Re-imagined
Grease OST
Michael Jackson - Bad
Blondie - Parallel Lines
Nick Cave - Nocturama
Leonard Cohen - I'm Your Man
Elliott Smith - View from a Basement on a Hill
Meatloaf - Bat Out of Hell
Sigur Ros - Aegetis Byrjun
Sugarcubes - Life's Too Good
Squeeze - 45s and under
Specials - Specials
New Order - Substance (or Technique)
Happy Mondays - Pills, Thrills and Bellyaches
Primal Scream - Screamadelica
Verve - Urban Hymns
Calvin Harris - I Invented Disco
Menahan Street Band - Menahan Street Band
JJ - No 2
The XX - XX
Carole King - Tapestry
Johnny Cash - At San Quentin Prison
Human League - Dare
Sundays - Reading, Writing and Arithmetic
Madonna - True Blue
Beatles - White Album
Pet Shop Boys - Actually
Pipettes - Pipettes
Grace Jones - Compass Point Sessions
King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown
Waterboys - To The Sea
Unkle - Never Never Land
Ian Brown - Solarized

There's probably loads more but those are the ones that I've thought of in the last 15 minutes that I would add.

Blimey, there's nothing on that list that I'd want in my collection, with the possible exception of Nina Simone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here