NSC's 100 essential albums

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
There have been some shocking nominations given this is meant to be 100 essential albums of all time.

Shocking to you but there can't be anything more personal than music so who are you to say what should and shouldn't be included? Personally, I've never liked Led Zep but the orthodox view is that their music has to be included in any top 100 whereas I'm sure enough of my own musical tastes to stick in Apollo 440's Electroglide in Blue as one of my essential albums. That's not me being clever, that's me saying that I must have played that album a thousand times and is an essential part of my life.

To be honest whole albums of the Beatles leave me feeling nothing. I don't think it's dated at all well for the most part.

BTW - Norman Cook was born in 1963.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
whats-going-on-marvin-gaye-300x300.jpg

The-Undertones-Hypnotised--Lobst-138462.jpg

Terry%2BHall%2BHome.jpg

6a00d8341c4fe353ef0167666859ef970b-800wi

stevie-wonder_innervisions.jpeg

forever-changes.jpg

el-turista.jpg

imag20907.jpg

More later...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A few others.

The Fall - Extricate
Steve Mason - Boys Outside
Gil Scott Heron - Ghetto Style

....think I better quit or I could just be here all day.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It's not what i like, its what people convince me should be in. I prefer Abbey Road to Revlover, but i liked the argument. If someones nominated something YOU think deserves a place argue it's case.

You shouldn't need to argue to one random person as an arbitrer of personal taste.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You shouldn't need to argue to one random person as an arbitrer of personal taste.

I think you should start your own thread with your chosen selection policy. Call it the "real NSC 100 albums you really should have"

COme on it's close season. We have nothing better to do.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Absolute bitch to choose which album, but I have gone for Low Life. There are still the scars of JD in it, combined with the movement towards dance in the form of Subculture and The Perfect Kiss. They were never JUST a singles band, although their singles were peerless for a time.

New-Order-Low-Life-474241.jpg

'Sunrise' - one of the best intros ever!

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton

It's just a game mate, a way of getting people to discuss their favourite music and just possibly persuade people to listen to something new. My threaad and i get to be judge, but i'm easily swayed.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As much as I love 17 Seconds by The Cure, if you took away 'A Forest' it would lose some of its appeal. Disintegration saw Fatboy Smith at his peak of self loathing, yet he still managed to slip in some commercially successful tracks (Lovesong, Lullaby) into a doomfest of magnificent proportions.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
You mean pick one and convince you it should be in, Herr Gauleiter. This thread needs a poll, or a knock out comp

I thought of that but it would take too long, and I'm really open to persuasion and majority view.

boik

Surely must include Cans magnificent Tago Mago.

For something more modern the first Arctic Monkeys album should be there too; Urban poetry with fantastic muscianship (unlike overhyped, one-dimensional Rap. Contoversial? Moi?).

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It's just a game mate, a way of getting people to discuss their favourite music and just possibly persuade people to listen to something new. My threaad and i get to be judge, but i'm easily swayed.

Then you just end up with a load of old farts telling you that Led Zep Million and Four is the best album ever closely followed by some badly dated guff from the Beatles and a comment such as "thread closed". Christ on a bike, that phrase bugs the bejasus out of me.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Then you just end up with a load of old farts telling you that Led Zep Million and Four is the best album ever closely followed by some badly dated guff from the Beatles and a comment such as "thread closed". Christ on a bike, that phrase bugs the bejasus out of me.

Thats a danger which is why we need you arguing the case for stuff to stop this turning into a classic Rock list.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports