NSC's 100 essential albums

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Flicked through these pages and hard to believe there's no Neil Young Albums.

Hugely influential

You missed my nomination of Live at the Fillmore East then, a truly great live album

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'd suggest Beachcomber's Windowsill by Stornoway, rather lovely album and contains the most wonderful song " Long Distance Lullaby " which is a song about a chap who has a beer or two and ends up calling an ex because he still loves her.. fun and poignant

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'd suggest Beachcomber's Windowsill by Stornoway, rather lovely album and contains the most wonderful song " Long Distance Lullaby " which is a song about a chap who has a beer or two and ends up calling an ex because he still loves her.. fun and poignant

You been out in the sun again ?

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I'm totally with you on this brother :thumbsup:

As for your other point I guess it is difficult to know which albums will eventually turn into classics. And this does beg the question as to what makes an album classic and when do you know it's a classic? Two albums which are widely held up as classics are Exile on Main Street by the Stones and Paul's Boutique by the Beasties. Both were met with, at best, lengthy indifference upon release but history has proved otherwise. I have also always wondered at what point does the artist know they're onto something special. Do they actually know? I remember hearing Adele being interviewed about 21 just before release and her hopes for it; she hoped people remembered her and wanted to buy it and seemed genuine. As an aside she was also bloody hilarious as an interviewee.

Another album which might be a future classic is The Suburbs by Arcade Fire. I was at TGE a few weeks ago and Rob Da Bank and Michael Eavis were struggling to think of the next big ticket festival headliner. Arcade Fire have Glasto headliner written all over them.

Errrr, Arcade Fire have already headlined at Reading in 2010 - you're a little late on that one.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Genesis - Wind And Wuthering
Yes - Close To The Edge
Pink Floyd -Wish You Were Here
Rising - Blackmore's Rainbow
In Rock - Deep Purple
Til tuesday - Welcome Home and Everythings Different Now
Aimee Mann - Whatever
Barclay James Harvest - Berlin
Al Stewart - Year Of The cat
Santana - abraxas
Lone Justice - Lone Justice
Simon and Garfunkel - the Concert In Central Park

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Troublegum by Therapy? Would be on mine. The greatest anti-album ever. Sugar-coated self-loathing from start to finish. The opening lyrics say it all.

"My girlfriend says
That I need help
My boyfriend says
I'd be better off dead

I'm gonna get drunk
Come round and f*** you up
I'm gonna get drunk
Come round and f*** you up

And you can't help my life
But you can hide the knives"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports