Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Now we just need another 5 min...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Adam Clayton being heavily linked on Twitter (yes I know!) - makes sense as we had an offer of £1.m knocked back in January. Now reported as offering £1.5m

Guess we will go back forBaldok at around £2m with a chance of a deal at that.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I don't see why anyone would assume that's it's more likely that that bid was completely circumstantial, even if it existed in the first place and wasn't a twitter rumour.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
It was noted last night that Bristol had bid for Kieran Agard, a striker from Rotherham. Obviously it's hypothetical but could this be them doing a spot of succession planning for Baldock's departure?

Although I think Baldock is a good player, i'm not sure he is the answer. His record in div1 is very impressive, but probably not as impressive as CMS was at Posh. His record at West Ham in this division was 5 in 21...In a nutshell, I don't think he is any better than what we already have. Would be a good signing, but not the 20+ a season striker to replace Ulloa.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Matthew Etherington would be a decent addition to the squad. Provided he is over all his demons. Currently out of contract, can't see him being short of options.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
That's exactly what you were suggesting! Not trying to be a buzzkill just find it strange people would link the two, Baldock might sign tonight for all I know but in my opinion Bristol will want too much, more than we are prepared to stump up for a League 1 striker. Just IMO like.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
That's exactly what you were suggesting! Not trying to be a buzzkill just find it strange people would link the two, Baldock might sign tonight for all I know but in my opinion Bristol will want too much, more than we are prepared to stump up for a League 1 striker. Just IMO like.

Yes I suggested it, merely as a possibility, certainly not assuming it to be a certainty. I too suspect they'll want way too much money and sadly , as usual, better value can come from abroad.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Ward starting for Wolves tonight at Oxford in a friendly:(

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Another centre half is more important than anything.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
For those who haven't been paying attention (i.e. half of NSC), we actually already have NINE new players for this season - if we define new as players who didn't appear for us in the League after January 18 last year, but are getting lots of game time in pre-season. This definition is fair enough if you are comparing our prospects for the rest of 2014 with the start of the year.

The obvious ones are:

Stockdale replacing Kuszaczak
Hughes replacing Upson
O'Grady replacing Lingard/Barnes
Toko replacing Andrews.

I don't think we have a lot to complain about there.

The forgotten ones are:

Crofts (Stephens) replacing Orlandi (kind of). Stephens was bought to replace Crofts, but now he is back one of them has to be considered an addition to the squad. Orlandi is the closest match to him (expensive attack minded goal scoring midfielder).

Agustien replacing Lopez, as the slow non-tackling midfielder with the potential for a killer pass and who won't play very much

Makismenko replacing El Abd as fourth choice central defender/third choice left back

Fenelon replacing Lita/Obika/Rodriguez as the back-up striker we only play when we are desperate.

Walton replacing Brez as the second/third choice keeper.

None of those last five got any game time after mid Jan, but all have had a good run in preseason. All of them look capable of doing that particular role in the squad.

That only leaves two departures who we haven't replaced. Ulloa and Ward.

The other forgotten man is CMS who wasn't able to start a game last year. OK he is no Ulloa, but he is a more than useful 2nd striker at this level.

And clearly we need Ward back.

Get Ward back AND a new star striker we will be in a great position. Clearly far, far stronger than last year. And we will still have plenty in the kitty for improvements as the season goes on.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
For those who haven't been paying attention (i.e. half of NSC), we actually already have NINE new players for this season - if we define new as players who didn't appear for us in the League after January 18 last year, but are getting lots of game time in pre-season. This definition is fair enough if you are comparing our prospects for the rest of 2014 with the start of the year.

The obvious ones are:

Stockdale replacing Kuszaczak
Hughes replacing Upson
O'Grady replacing Lingard/Barnes
Toko replacing Andrews.

I don't think we have a lot to complain about there.

The forgotten ones are:

Crofts (Stephens) replacing Orlandi (kind of). Stephens was bought to replace Crofts, but now he is back one of them has to be considered an addition to the squad. Orlandi is the closest match to him (expensive attack minded goal scoring midfielder).

Agustien replacing Lopez, as the slow non-tackling midfielder with the potential for a killer pass and who won't play very much

Makismenko replacing El Abd as fourth choice central defender/third choice left back

Fenelon replacing Lita/Obika/Rodriguez as the back-up striker we only play when we are desperate.

Walton replacing Brez as the second/third choice keeper.

None of those last five got any game time after mid Jan, but all have had a good run in preseason. All of them look capable of doing that particular role in the squad.

That only leaves two departures who we haven't replaced. Ulloa and Ward.

The other forgotten man is CMS who wasn't able to start a game last year. OK he is no Ulloa, but he is a more than useful 2nd striker at this level.

And clearly we need Ward back.

Get Ward back AND a new star striker we will be in a great position. Clearly far, far stronger than last year. And we will still have plenty in the kitty for improvements as the season goes on.

With those 2 additions that gives us a 24 man squad.

I am of the opinion that Fenelon will be better served being loaned out to League 1, rather than being benched as 4th pick. This would reduce the current squad to 21.

I'd say we ideally want a 25 man squad, so 4 more new faces would be required to achieve this.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
With those 2 additions that gives us a 24 man squad.

I am of the opinion that Fenelon will be better served being loaned out to League 1, rather than being benched as 4th pick. This would reduce the current squad to 21.

I'd say we ideally want a 25 man squad, so 4 more new faces would be required to achieve this.

There is a lot of interest in Fenelon from clubs wanting him on loan so that is sure to happen if we do bring in 2 more strikers. If we don't then I expect he'll stay put.

I also think Glenn Rae has put himself above Maksimenko as 4th choice central defender.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
So,

Left back : Ward, something is holding this up.

ATM : Clayton ?, Lingard ?

Striker : Baldock ?, Mason ?

Top Striker : Top Secret.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So,

Left back : Ward, something is holding this up.
ATM : Clayton ?, Lingard ?
Striker : Baldock ?, Mason ?
Top Striker : Top Secret.

Bang on.

(Wolves are holding up Ward.)

What is exciting is we should have four genuine goal threats available to Sammy as options. If we don't score more goals this season than last then something bizarre will have happened.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Bang on.

(Wolves are holding up Ward.)

What is exciting is we should have four genuine goal threats available to Sammy as options. If we don't score more goals this season than last then something bizarre will have happened.

Someone posted on another forum a few days ago, senior management are very excited by a new striker who should be coming in. Guess it will be someone no one has ever heard of!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here