Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Now we just need another 5 min...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Where did I say I'd written him off, out of interest???...I said it doesn't insipre confidence, unless you disagree. In which case I take it your happy with selling one for £8m and replacing it with one for £500k. And you do think O'Grady will be our main man.

Out of interest who would you sign forward wise and what would you anticipate paying?

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
I think it will be tough regardless of our squad. I think each year the competition has been getting tougher. The teams that have come down aren't just selling their best players and going with cheap replacements, they're bringing in excellent players on top of what they have. Which 2 of these teams are we supposed to finish above:
Cardiff, Fulham, Derby, Wigan, Norwich, Watford, Forest?

Of course it'll be tough, some may argue this is the toughest league in the world to get out of. However with the signings I mentioned I would be confident going into the new season.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I also want Orlandi back, but only as a pay as you play style deal.

He seems to be quite injury prone and has a long standing knee problem (by the looks of it). Always seemed to be icing it immediately post game or when substituted it.

It's all well & good saying this (and fans do it all the time!) but I'd say these 'pay as you play' deals are rarer than you'd think. Not many players would sign up to these contracts these days. Maybe an enhanced appearance bonus or something but pay as you play is almost a complete myth I think!

Get what you're saying though - maybe a 1 yr deal with option of a 2nd year...?

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Wow people seem to have watched Stockdale / Toko / Hughes already (obviously several times)!! Haha one posters even saying if they're better than the players they've replaced :lol: gotta love NSC logic!

Surely plenty will have seen Stockdale and especially Hughes already?

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
IMO, we need;

LB - Probably the most urgent.
CB - I actually think this is vital. We saw the problem of not having cover in the play offs. Gree is surely on the decline, and i do not think Dunk is good enough to be first choice.
CAM - The creativity we was crying out for all last season.
LW - competition for LuaLua, who won't play 90 mins every week.
ST - You don't win games without a goal scorer, £2-3 Million needs to be spent here.

All very important signings if we are to challange for top 6 this season.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Surely plenty will have seen Stockdale and especially Hughes already?

Stockdale maybe (on tv which isnt the same) - Hughes is a lot older now so think it's hard to judge

owen_gibb1989

Nov 6, 2011
Most of these problems can be solved by bringing back Orlandi, getting Ward permanently and (if possible) getting Lingaard on a season long loan. That leaves cash for a ST or 2 and a CB. Would love Vaz Te but imagine that's unrealistic, Vydra perhaps?, but more likely Baldock. Very happy with Stockdale btw!!!

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
That's the keeper sorted out, now we just need another 5 and we will be in good shape.

Left Back,
Centre Half,
Wide Mid,
2 Strikers....

2 strikers?! Really?! We have o'Grady in and I think Fenelon has a chance too if he impresses Sami. Only the one personally!

#BringBackOrlandi

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
We also have to be prepared for bids for Buckley, Lua Lua, and CMS.

CMS is a difficult one as we paid a decent fee, and there is only 1 year left on his deal. Similarly Kaz is in his last year.

Also the nightmare of bids for March and Ince.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Where did I say I'd written him off, out of interest???...I said it doesn't insipre confidence, unless you disagree. In which case I take it your happy with selling one for £8m and replacing it with one for £500k. And you do think O'Grady will be our main man.

Not insipring confidence implies that you feel he won't be able to perform, does it not? I look at it that we've spent money on a proven goalscorer who won't fill the Ulloa void, but hopefully will be an important part of the team and do the work that Barnes did for us.

Also, yes I am happy with selling a player for 8m+ and so far only spending 500k, especially when you take into account we have made (apparently) 750k or thereabouts on Barnes (which O'Grady will replace) so we still have the 8m+ to spend on a new striker or two.

There's two ways to look at it - the positive way and the negative way :wink:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
At the start of the season we've been thinking the same for the last 2 years
I know - last year looked tougher than the year before, with QPR, Reading and Wigan coming down - and it was. All 3 of those teams did well, and were much better than Bolton, Blackburn and Wolves the year before. The teams that have just come down should be strong, Wolves should be decent, and some new money arriving for clubs like Forest make the coming season look mental. It should be fun, but I have low expectations.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ward
Baldock
Leo mk II - foreign, decent, possibly rough around the edges, will cost a few million.
Attacking midfielder - Lingard on loan or A.N.Other.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I like Ward, but i think i'd rather Riise.

I'd rather we sign Ward, I'm sure Riise could do a job for a year but it's time we had a left back who's going to be around for a while and not have to keep looking for a new one every summer.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ward
Baldock
Leo mk II - foreign, decent, possibly rough around the edges, will cost a few million.
Attacking midfielder - Lingard on loan or A.N.Other.

Would conclude a tidy summer of transfer dealings. Wouldn't rule out yet another top 6 finish with that squad, if Leo's replacement is as competent as he was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here