Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Not the richest, not the biggest but none are better

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I hope the North Stand boys can manage to sing, “Tony Blooms blue and white army” for 90 minutes at our next home game. It never hurts to tell someone you love them as often as you can.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
More goalpost moving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not moving the goalposts.

I said that plenty of people in here would take a 10x pay rise (which would mean financial security for a lot of people) to swap their Brighton season ticket to a Chelsea season ticket. You said no one would. And now I'm saying people would, because they'd like to secure the financial futures of their families. How is that moving the goalposts exactly?

And yes, GP was financially secure since before. Probably Bruno as well. Hence why I initially brought it up regarding Ben Roberts, who people expect to turn down securing the financial future of him and his family to remain loyal to Tony Bloom.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Look, I know you don’t get it but others reading it do. You won’t be winning anyone over with your horseshit.

First rule of being a football fan here is you don’t change your club. It’s especially true when you nearly lost that club 25 years ago.

You think a Celtic fan would become Rangers for money? Laughable

As analogies go it’s very very ill thought out, in fact I can’t think of a worse one I’ve heard in my life. What LOGICAL person would suggest giving a football fan a 10x pay rise to swap their season ticket for another clubs?

Who the **** runs this company?

In what world other than Swanny’s head could this ever happen

Totally laughable :lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
As analogies go it’s very very ill thought out, in fact I can’t think of a worse one I’ve heard in my life. What LOGICAL person would suggest giving a football fan a 10x pay rise to swap their season ticket for another clubs?

The Krankies?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I could choose any of your quotes on this thread to quote but I've highlighted the most inane here. No Brighton fan on this message board would accept money to swap their Brighton season ticket for a Chelsea one. It's an idiotic analogy that shows (again) you don't understand being an English football fan.

I'm not so sure. Emotionally no, but pragmatically it would be hard to turn down. If I was offered enough money that would secure my financial future, that of my daughter and also of any family she might eventually have, I might just be persuaded. And I'm talking about money that would mean none of them would ever have to work again and live very very comfortably.

I seen it all over nearly 50 years of the Albion from those first two promotions with Mullery, cup final, winning at Anfield and Old Trafford, Hereford, the up and down during the early part of this century and the rise and rise since TB took over. It would be a frustratingly hard decision to make but I can't honestly say I wouldn't.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm not moving the goalposts.

I said that plenty of people in here would take a 10x pay rise (which would mean financial security for a lot of people) to swap their Brighton season ticket to a Chelsea season ticket. You said no one would. And now I'm saying people would, because they'd like to secure the financial futures of their families. How is that moving the goalposts exactly?

And yes, GP was financially secure since before. Probably Bruno as well. Hence why I initially brought it up regarding Ben Roberts, who people expect to turn down securing the financial future of him and his family to remain loyal to Tony Bloom.

As Icy says, it’s a ridiculous analogy that would never happen. Being a football fan here has nothing to do with money and everything to do with family, community, society and your mates. You talk of family first? I take my son home and away and he’s as Brighton mad as I am. My older friends have looked after him as part of the gang since he was 8. I wouldn’t swap taking him to Brighton for taking him to Chelsea for Erling Haaland’s pay packet and he wouldn’t let me. Fact.

I think you’ve been overdoing the puff again.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Exactly, if you’ve never felt the passion you won’t be understanding it :shrug:

One thing this little saga will achieve is a closeness in the support base, a togetherness that maybe had drifted a little...

Another thing I’ve come to realise is that Swansman and GP would clearly get on very well, same logic, same lack of emotion, same calculated and ruthless ambition... I can see why he likes him so... they’re perfect for each other.

As for us, we’ll carry in regardless - we’ve been through worse... from the ashes, I’m sure we’ll rise again.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Its a hypothetical question to make you understand other peoples decision making since you're struggling with it.

I'm not suggesting you're actually going to get the offer. "Would you choose between securing the financial future of your family or to watch Brighton?" is a question similar to "Would you go backwards or forwards in time if there was a time machine?"

You want people (not GP, he was fine before but a normal coach or GK coach actually does not make super-mega-money in a small PL club) to pick Tony Bloom over securing the financial future of their families. I'm saying they're not evil for making a different choice than the one you want/expect them to make. That is how we ended up in this discussion.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not so sure. Emotionally no, but pragmatically it would be hard to turn down. If I was offered enough money that would secure my financial future, that of my daughter and also of any family she might eventually have, I might just be persuaded. And I'm talking about money that would mean none of them would ever have to work again and live very very comfortably.

I seen it all over nearly 50 years of the Albion from those first two promotions with Mullery, cup final, winning at Anfield and Old Trafford, Hereford, the up and down during the early part of this century and the rise and rise since TB took over. It would be a frustratingly hard decision to make but I can't honestly say I wouldn't.

Again I’ll ask what employer is going to offer an employee a 10x pay rise to swap their season ticket for another clubs?

If any company was that stupid I’d take the money swap the season ticket, never go to the new club and carry on watching the Albion. Now that is LOGICAL

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Its a hypothetical question to make you understand other peoples decision making since you're struggling with it.

I'm not suggesting you're actually going to get the offer. "Would you choose between securing the financial future of your family or to watch Brighton?" is a question similar to "Would you go backwards or forwards in time if there was a time machine?"

You want people (not GP, he was fine before but a normal coach or GK coach actually does not make super-mega-money in a small PL club) to pick Tony Bloom over securing the financial future of their families. I'm saying they're not evil for making a different choice than the one you want/expect them to make. That is how we ended up in this discussion.

I am not struggling with anything. Offer me 10x my salary to swap jobs, then yes yes I would.

Your analogy is completely **** though

This has gone completely off piste, it’s about NOT offering people who were at the club before you came to come with you. Potter did not need to offer Roberts and Bruno a job.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm not sure Tony Bloom considered it "taking a punt".

As for the other part, if anything you said or predicted had any resemblance of truth in it, GP would have been sacked on a weekly basis for the last three years.

Taking on a manager who had never been close to any club in the position Brighton were in, is taking a punt. He continued to show loyalty when we had a shocking run of games without a win. Added to which a shocking home record, one that he of such immense intelligence, couldn't fathom why a few people booed. He then showed his real side by making a stupid comment.

He in turn has shown no loyalty at all. The money you keep quoting is crap made up to try and explain your God's motive. Bruno and alike haven't suddenly got a 10 fold pay rise that's just pure toilet.

I know what TB thinks of Bruno's decision and it will take some doing for him to welcome him back in the future. He was undoubtedly being readied for the top job. Bloom is fuming. How do I know? Not by some source not known but by someone very much employed in the club.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
As Icy says, it’s a ridiculous analogy that would never happen. Being a football fan here has nothing to do with money and everything to do with family, community, society and your mates. You talk of family first? I take my son home and away and he’s as Brighton mad as I am. My older friends have looked after him as part of the gang since he was 8. I wouldn’t swap taking him to Brighton for taking him to Chelsea for Erling Haaland’s pay packet and he wouldn’t let me. Fact.

I think you’ve been overdoing the puff again.

I simply do not believe you when you say you'd turn down $34 million a year to give up your season ticket and boo Chelsea for 90x2 minutes a week.

Alan P

Bouncy
Oct 17, 2010
Etm
We will have to agree to disagree on your last paragraph. It was a general comment not an insult to individuals like the 'Judas' comments being made.
It's says more in my humble opinion, not to talk about those who have let the club down.
Constantly berating them on a forum makes their ego's even bigger.
Outsiders will be calling Brighton fans precious.
Put them in the past and move on.

Alan P

Bouncy
Oct 17, 2010
Thanks [MENTION=29428]tomh[/MENTION]ark
I seem to cause trouble wherever i go though.
Don't think i will start any new posts.
I'm just glad i didn't use the phrase 'man up' or more accusations would have been aimed my way

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Potter probably met Billy, Bjorn & Kyle in some employment and decided to offer them jobs along his career. If I moved jobs there are a handful of staff I'd love to see join me from my current employer, it's not unusual. Roberts has a huge reputation and Bruno ha been here for 10 years...however Potter was identified as an ideal piece to compliment our plan and a similar manager will be selected to continue his fabulous work

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I am not struggling with anything. Offer me 10x my salary to swap jobs, then yes yes I would.

Your analogy is completely **** though

This has gone completely off piste, it’s about NOT offering people who were at the club before you came to come with you. Potter did not need to offer Roberts and Bruno a job.

So you have the chance to make a colleague you've been working closely with for 3 years financially secure for life but you decide not to because the billionaire owning your company would be sad? Well, thats one way of being a moral person I guess.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Thanks [MENTION=29428]tomh[/MENTION]ark
I seem to cause trouble wherever i go though.
Don't think i will start any new posts.
I'm just glad i didn't use the phrase 'man up' or more accusations would have been aimed my way

I can see why you've only posted 78 comments in 12 years. You know your limits.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
One thing this little saga will achieve is a closeness in the support base, a togetherness that maybe had drifted a little...

Another thing I’ve come to realise is that Swansman and GP would clearly get on very well, same logic, same lack of emotion, same calculated and ruthless ambition... I can see why he likes him so... they’re perfect for each other.

As for us, we’ll carry in regardless - we’ve been through worse... from the ashes, I’m sure we’ll rise again.

Potter and Swannie are at the opposite ends of the scale. Potter is a successful, amoral, ruthless football manager who knows when he gets things wrong and changes.

Swannie is an out of work, pizza eating, dope addicted, knife weilding modern day keyboard warrior that knows it all and is never, ever, EVER wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here