Norwich & Swansea Coming in for Bridcutt

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Virgo £1.5 mill - great price. Harding - £500K good price.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Other than Fashanu, who of note have we taken off Norwich?

Why do they keep fleecing us?

Because we let them. If we want to keep him we can. I notice Gus was talking about a ridiculously small figure being offered for Noone recently. He is giving Cardiff the green light there and encouraging a better offer from them.
Our manager has repeatedly said that he will not stand in the way of young players trying to better themselves by moving to the Prem but we are in a different position now than we were a season or 2 back and we can tell them to f*** off now. Hope we start doing it.

Mark Jones

Jan 28, 2011
Talk Sport announced Lambert had left us for Burnley so I wouldn't get too worked up lads! I've not heard anything this end either

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Agreed but it is also no good keeping players who want to go. I am sure the Albion are doing their best to sell our club to the players when these offers come in but we are not gonna go up this season, and so certain players may be tempted by the lure of the Premiership and everything that goes along with it.

Exactly this. Gus has already shown with his handling of the Bennett situation last season and the Cook situation this season that he is very much a PLAYERS manager. Drawing on his experiences of being a topclass player he knows exactly what goes on and how much having your head turned by the prospect of better paid, or higher level football can effect what happens on the pitch.

I'm not advocating that we sell him by any means, but as a manager he has a responsibility to both the player and the club to think seriously about any approaches. What's the worst scenario here? In my opinion it would be that Bridcutt has his head turned by two progressive Premier League clubs, we play hard ball and refuse their approaches for now but watch Bridcutts performance levels drop and drop which leave is in exactly the same scenario than if we had sold him now. The only difference being that we are likely to not be able to command as high a fee as now, because he will be
a) six months closer to the end of an already too short contract

and

b) Wanting to leave even more, than PERHAPS he does now.

I say that interest in a well performing individual is to be expected, and IF the player wants to leave then the only thing we can do is negotiate well. Ask him to sign an extended length of contract, as with Bennett last season, and then hold out for a deal thats right for both club and player.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Our Chairman has just spunked £100m on our new stadium and has allocated another reported £20m for the upgraded training facilities, we're likely to be adding another 8,000 seats which I'm sure will cost a packet, not surprising then that we have a wage cap. You cannot have it both ways unless you are a multi-billionaire. Lets get some sense of reality here.

Nail. Head.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Wondered how long it would take before somebody came in for him.

Losing Bridcutt would not be good. A fantastic player and pretty much every ball is played through him. Integral is not a strong enough word!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Exactly this. Gus has already shown with his handling of the Bennett situation last season and the Cook situation this season that he is very much a PLAYERS manager. Drawing on his experiences of being a topclass player he knows exactly what goes on and how much having your head turned by the prospect of better paid, or higher level football can effect what happens on the pitch.

I'm not advocating that we sell him by any means, but as a manager he has a responsibility to both the player and the club to think seriously about any approaches. What's the worst scenario here? In my opinion it would be that Bridcutt has his head turned by two progressive Premier League clubs, we play hard ball and refuse their approaches for now but watch Bridcutts performance levels drop and drop which leave is in exactly the same scenario than if we had sold him now. The only difference being that we are likely to not be able to command as high a fee as now, because he will be
a) six months closer to the end of an already too short contract

and

b) Wanting to leave even more, than PERHAPS he does now.

I say that interest in a well performing individual is to be expected, and IF the player wants to leave then the only thing we can do is negotiate well. Ask him to sign an extended length of contract, as with Bennett last season, and then hold out for a deal thats right for both club and player.

IF we are serious about progressing as a club, then we have to keep our best players... this in turn attracts other good players... you know, the ones we need to get to the promised land... sorry, but I disagree with you... we should slap a silly price tag on him, like the £10M one Palar$e have put on Zaha...

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
A lot of people seem to presuming it's a done deal and at bargain price because of a Talk Sport rumour. Same situation with Noone. How about we wait and see what happens before saying the club lack ambition etc etc

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
IF we are serious about progressing as a club, then we have to keep our best players... this in turn attracts other good players... you know, the ones we need to get to the promised land... sorry, but I disagree with you... we should slap a silly price tag on him, like the £10M one Palar$e have put on Zaha...

My last sentance advocates doing this in essence by negotiating cleverly and correctly for all concerned. Every player has a price.

D

Deleted member 22389

Until the Argus headlines read Noone to Cardiff or Bridcutt to Norwich why is everyone getting so worked up. Why are you wasting your time and energy when nothing has happend. Just some rumour on Talkpremiership, that's all.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I have had a really shit day today at work, signed on here expecting to see some good news and all the threads are just negative news, I need a beer and lots of them.

Bridcutt is the ONE player that makes us tick CONSISTENTLY. End of.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

But this is totally unrealistic. We have a wage structure, it's somewhere in the middle of this division. The likes of Swansea and Norwich have been promoted, they have massiv Prem budget and guaranteed parachute payments if the shit hits the fan. They could offer Bridcutt 3 or 4 times his current wages if they felt like it.

I doubt if we'd have kept Murray and Bennett we'd be any higher or lower than we are at the moment. This is because they've been replaced by good players. The problem is when you lose your good players but don't replace them.

This idea about only being able to progress if you 'keep your best players' really applies to the very top level. There are 50 Liam Bridcutts out there, but Tottenham know Modric is almost impossible to replace, ditto with Arsenal and Van Persie.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Right so 2 million for a player Poyet got for nothing...and your questioning some of his signings !....now that is harsh !

Yes, he's done brilliantly well to get that sort of turn around, but look at some of the other players he's brought in and ask yourself the same question.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Players come and go......if Bridcutt, Noone and Dunk all leave, they'll be replaced by the same/better quality. Spending £130M on a stadium and training ground would be a futile exercise without players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports