North and South West ST holders meeting 18th December

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Firstly I commend the club for trying to do something to ramp up the atmosphere at The Amex. No harm in having an exchange of ideas with the relevant punters. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of the meeting.

As a non-STH I have enjoyed watching games from virtually every area of The Amex and sadly it is so apparent just how the atmosphere has declined in general and how rarely it approaches the sort of noise that 20k+ crowds should create. We certainly do not generate the intensity of noise at The Amex that is generated by similar crowds at places like Leeds, Forest and Derby. You can feel it lift the crowd and the players. Equally the singing from the Albion faithful at away games often punches well above our weight, and shows what can be achieved if we focus our minds on a coordinated effort.

I hope we are never desperate enough to resort to goal music or even have a drum or brass band. However in my experience it is interesting how the volume of the stadium PA also varies to the point where it is almost inaudible in some areas, so for example the commendable efforts to get everyone joining in on GOSBTS are not being fulfilled. Does anyone from the Club make a serious attempt to monitor this?

Ultimately I recognise that it is down to the fans to create the atmosphere. OK it helps if the football is inspiring. Historically everyone has looked to the North stand to create most of the atmosphere. It would greatly help if say 3,000 fans in the North all sing as one voice, rather than as uncoordinated factions, often cancelling each other out.

What a contrast at the Fulham game when 3k away fans sang as one and easily drowned out the home fans, despite there supposedly being 25k Albion fans present.... It cannot help that the occupancy of the North is similar to a packed away area. So clearly it helps if the West and East join in - and that's when The Amex really sounds like a proper footie stadium.

The Amex is a fabulous home but I do wonder if, with hindsight, Tony Bloom and Martin Perry have now quietly reflected on the layout and how they might have given greater attention to incorporating a design specifically creating an optimal atmosphere within the North stand - and how this could project out into the rest of The Amex. Building a new stadium was a unique opportunity to incorporate a more radical solution. Clearly very specific attention was given to the potential occupants of the other stands (loosely summarised as corporate / premium, families and away fans). However IMO various aspects of the North stand seem slightly 'undercooked'. It should have been possible to comply with all regulatory requirements - while enjoying a slightly larger capacity, a steeper rake, all moved closer to the pitch and with a more enclosed roof - all to amplify the noise and bring the fans closer to the action. Design in a natural cauldron of noise - rather than having to retrospectively ask the fans to 'sing up a bit'.

I note a number of dedicated fans defected from the North to the South West corner and their great efforts to create both a visual and aural presence closer to the away fans. I suspect this has also diluted the impact of the North stand. Contrast this with the old North stand at The Goldstone (which wasn't everyone's cup of tea) but seemed a natural magnet for many fans to experience. Yet many fans at The Amex are apathetic about trying the new North stand. I suspect there would be a payback if the design encouraged a more electric atmosphere and fans wanted to share the 'North stand experience'.

Ok there were all sorts of planning constraints and cost implications with getting The Amex built in the first place, so it seems churlish to nit pick at the design. But it is a dedicated football stadium so seems a fairly obvious design requirement, especially when we have been so radical and forward thinking in so many other aspects of the Club.

I suppose the only hope for a significant revamp of the North stand is if we ever adopt safe standing, but we know the Club's stance on this. Maybe this will be reviewed in the medium / long term. So in the short term it will be down to the fans to make the most of it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
no, Adrian has worked at the club for years... used to be head steward at withdean for one of the stands.. and I think worked at the goldstone too. so... not a newbie at all..and knows all the history and is a fan.

Fair enough, but new to that job.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
no, Adrian has worked at the club for years... used to be head steward at withdean for one of the stands.. and I think worked at the goldstone too. so... not a newbie at all..and knows all the history and is a fan.

Hi Adrian :bigwave:

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
I think putting the away fans where the family stand is, is the best idea. Move the family stand to the South so we have fans behind both goals. Will certainly crank up the atmosphere.
Bog off.
I don't want to be behind a goal thank you very much.
Can't see at the best of times, from the South stand I won't even be able to see the centre circle :)

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Long term:

- Join other clubs (Villa, Bristol City, Peterboro etc.) in offering to trial rail seats in the North Stand. It’s time the club actually listened to the fans and supported safe standing. To date, Barber has been incredibly condescending when asked to publicly support this. Given our history this is utterly shameful in my opinion.

- Acoustics are terrible when compared with other grounds, could the North Stand roof be clan differently to reflect noise better?

- Make the North Stand steeper. I’ve attached a couple of before and after images.

There is no chance they will make structural alterations to the Amex. No chance in hell. They're not going to spend any money if they can help it. They might consider showing support to safe standing. But in all honesty, if we, the fans wanted it that badly, maybe we should have asked for it BEFORE they spent god knows how much on all of those padded seats.

The focus should be on strategy to make the most of what we've got.

Moving fans around, relaxing stewarding are the two best things. That Cardiff example is really interested and should be hammered home to them.

They really do need to win the hearts of the fans back. All of the marketing bullshit we've been subjected to really isn't helping the passion of the fans. It feels like the whole experience is being americanised and diluted down into a bill pile of meh. "Matchday experience" "Be bold" "One Club. one Ambition" all of that bollocks needs to be toned down.

Yes we are a business, yes we have to sell merchandise, but we're a football club first and foremost. They need to start remembering that fact or it's going to get worse.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
There is no chance they will make structural alterations to the Amex. No chance in hell. They're not going to spend any money if they can help it. They might consider showing support to safe standing. But in all honesty, if we, the fans wanted it that badly, maybe we should have asked for it BEFORE they spent god knows how much on all of those padded seats.

The focus should be on strategy to make the most of what we've got.

Moving fans around, relaxing stewarding are the two best things. That Cardiff example is really interested and should be hammered home to them.

They really do need to win the hearts of the fans back. All of the marketing bullshit we've been subjected to really isn't helping the passion of the fans. It feels like the whole experience is being americanised and diluted down into a bill pile of meh. "Matchday experience" "Be bold" "One Club. one Ambition" all of that bollocks needs to be toned down.

Yes we are a business, yes we have to sell merchandise, but we're a football club first and foremost. They need to start remembering that fact or it's going to get worse.

The design of the North Stand is awful and unfortunately the plans for the stadium were shown to the supporters without any consultation on design. Any fans who's been around the country/world to see other games could've told the club that the pitch of the stand and the roof were just wrong. However, it shouldn't just be cast aside. Mayfair Seagull put it as a long-term aspiration and maybe in time who knows?

Short-term the Cardiff idea certainly needs to be looked into closer. I have a contact at Cardiff City and don't mind putting the new new chap at the Albion in touch with him to explore this further, but the Club need to show an appetite for change, not just by laying on some sandwiches when the going gets tough.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
How can people blame the design of the stadium? I didn't realise that NSC was full of acoustic experts and architects.

The sound has, does and always will be pushed to the pitch, its the way it was designed, the way the club said it would work...thats why the players say sometimes its deafening on the pitch, that's why Mr Green famously said on 5Live 'its so loud here i can't hear myself think...i am just going to talk and i am not sure you can hear me'.

Jeeze some people would moan if they won the lottery because it wasn't a rollover.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Nothing structural is going to be done. Certainly not in the short term and probably not ever.

The fact is that a large proportion of fans don't want to generate an atmosphere, if they did they would join in with the singing. If people were bothered, they would move to the empty seats near the people who are singing.

Most fans are very conservative, anything the club or fellow fans try will end up with people objecting because it is seen as copying another team, not Brighton or tinpot.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
How can people blame the design of the stadium? I didn't realise that NSC was full of acoustic experts and architects.

The sound has, does and always will be pushed to the pitch, its the way it was designed, the way the club said it would work...thats why the players say sometimes its deafening on the pitch, that's why Mr Green famously said on 5Live 'its so loud here i can't hear myself think...i am just going to talk and i am not sure you can hear me'.

Jeeze some people would moan if they won the lottery because it wasn't a rollover.

Quite agree. Nothing wrong with the stadium, it's very loud when enough sing. Just need to get enough people together singing the same songs.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Could they move the police box crew over to the other side of the north, then they are not under a little roof. plus then i wouldnt have to move my seat!!

i have been invited but i wouldn't have a clue how to approach this meeting

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Those trying to blame the structure and design of the stadium really are making excuses. The atmosphere at the Amex has been electric at times, plus other teams such as Leeds and Palace have also made a lot of noise there.

The problem? our fans who say they are embarrassed or cringe to try out new songs or ideas to ramp up the atmosphere. The HF at Selhurst got a lot of stick when they first started with their flags and songs but they stuck to their guns and create a good atmosphere.

Our fans need to stop being embarrassed about new ideas, songs, chants, flags and so on and get on board with it. No one wants to admit it (me included) but a drum really would make a huge difference, not because we all want one but because it would actually get people to sing in time and to the same tune. Fans also need to be united and STOP trying to compete with each other or sing over one another because they think their song is better.

Loads of fans won't sing a song cause Palace sing a song to the same tune, who gives a TOSS. 95% of teams sing songs to exactly the same tune. It is just about making noise, even if fans sang 'Blue army' over and over it would be loud and easy to join in with, but no, that is off the cards too.

We have ourselves to blame I am afraid, not the structure of the stadium, that is an excuse and a crap one at that.

el punal

The design of the North Stand is awful and unfortunately the plans for the stadium were shown to the supporters without any consultation on design. Any fans who's been around the country/world to see other games could've told the club that the pitch of the stand and the roof were just wrong. However, it shouldn't just be cast aside. Mayfair Seagull put it as a long-term aspiration and maybe in time who knows?

Short-term the Cardiff idea certainly needs to be looked into closer. I have a contact at Cardiff City and don't mind putting the new new chap at the Albion in touch with him to explore this further, but the Club need to show an appetite for change, not just by laying on some sandwiches when the going gets tough.

I don't remember any Albion fans complaining about the stadium after the Doncaster game in August 2011. I would suggest that the lack of atmosphere/noise/call it what you will, is due in the main, to what's occurring on that big green bit in the middle.

Oct 11, 2005
London
Those trying to blame the structure and design of the stadium really are making excuses. The atmosphere at the Amex has been electric at times, plus other teams such as Leeds and Palace have also made a lot of noise there.

We have ourselves to blame I am afraid, not the structure of the stadium, that is an excuse and a crap one at that.

We're not blaming it all on the structure and design of the stadium, but when asked what can be done to improve the atmosphere, then longer term, I think such changes definitely would help.

Totally agree with your other points though - new songs/ flags etc. should be welcomed and not cringed at.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports