Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No signing on the way

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
He's just so good at finding space though, I wouldn't want to restrict him to the wing. And he's CERTAINLY not the answer to our wide-left position as Bensgrandad was suggesting.

I'm not for a minute agreeing that he should play on the left, as that would leave us with the problem we have now, but on the opposite wing! It's not like he would be restricted to staying out wide when playing on the right, as he demonstrated last year. As I have pointed out in my above post, I just feel it is important to use the width of the Withdean pitch when playing at home, as teams set up to be difficult to break down. In my eyes this is the reason we were so successful with LuaLua on the left, as he stretched the game. Bennett is currently the only player we have available that can do this.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Can't we get a standard run of the mill league one left midfielder in? I know Gus wants to improve the side only but we are very very short of options on the left flank!

Might end up bringing McNulty back and sticking him there!

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I'm not for a minute agreeing that he should play on the left, as that would leave us with the problem we have now, but on the opposite wing! It's not like he would be restricted to staying out wide when playing on the right, as he demonstrated last year. As I have pointed out in my above post, I just feel it is important to use the width of the Withdean pitch when playing at home, as teams set up to be difficult to break down. In my eyes this is the reason we were so successful with LuaLua on the left, as he stretched the game. Bennett is currently the only player we have available that can do this.

My thoughts are that we are all going overboard a little on the importance of Lua Lua to the team. In my opinion the two best performances from the team have been at Charlton and Peterborough and in those three hours of football Lua Lua played 15 minutes. Dont get me wrong he had a real impact in those 15 minutes at Charlton, but in my eyes the game was already won before he came on.
We proved in both games we are a strength without him.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'm hoping it is just Gus re-alligning expectations before we then sign someone brilliant!

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I love Jamie Smith but don't think he would be suited to a left midfield role. He was fantastic again on Tuesday as the head of the midfield triangle where he can roam from side to side. Think we should either start him on Sparrow from now on with two of Bridcutt, Dicker and Kish behind them

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
My thoughts are that we are all going overboard a little on the importance of Lua Lua to the team. In my opinion the two best performances from the team have been at Charlton and Peterborough and in those three hours of football Lua Lua played 15 minutes. Dont get me wrong he had a real impact in those 15 minutes at Charlton, but in my eyes the game was already won before he came on.

I completely disagree. I don't think the importance of LuaLua can be underestimated. Away from home, as you rightly say, yes he was less important. For the first time (from what I can remember) we have to look at home and away games as COMPLETELY different entities, playing a different side and formation.

It is rare now that a team comes to Withdean to stand toe to toe with us and play attacking football, as a result the honus is on us to break them down. Away from home it is different, as with Charlton and Peterborough. As the home team they are almost obliged to attack us and as a result we are able to keep possession and then pick them off. As a result we do not need to rely on our most creative players as much when we are away.

At home LuaLua was crucial as he could create something out of nothing and win us a game when we were struggling to break the opposition down, Brentford, MK Dons and Bournmouth being prime examples. In my opinion we need a player of similar ilk to replace him, who is able to unlock a stubborn defence. Giving the opposition another creative winger to contend with would also free up Bennett, who at the moment is our only real creative source.

Jimmy Grimble

Think you're still missing HP Seagull's point - he's talking about home games and how we will need to break teams down.

No denying Charlton and Peterborough were our two best performances, but the formation we played against them doesn't work as effectively at home.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I see it fairly simply - At home we need width - against Brizzle it was clear only Benno was playing wide and switching wings. Away from home we can afford to play the formation without so much width so we have an extra man or two in the midfield battle.

Incidently I think Smith can do a job on the left wing even though his best position is probably in the middle.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
we'll play a more compact midfield with Bennet in a free role.

Not really a viable option in my view. The narrow midfield was a major reason why Hartlepool overran us and why we played so badly against Bristol Rovers until Smith came on. Calderon and Painter kept going forward and losing the ball, when Hartlepool would hoof it forward, usually to their player, who could run freely at our central defenders.

I think Smith has shown he cn do a job for us on the left - as he did before Kazenga arrived.

Totally agree. Smith should be given a run in the side, or he could try Baz on the left, or even recall McNulty from Scunthorpe.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I completely disagree. I don't think the importance of LuaLua can be underestimated. Away from home, as you rightly say, yes he was less important. For the first time (from what I can remember) we have to look at home and away games as COMPLETELY different entities, playing a different side and formation.

It is rare now that a team comes to Withdean to stand toe to toe with us and play attacking football, as a result the honus is on us to break them down. Away from home it is different, as with Charlton and Peterborough. As the home team they are almost obliged to attack us and as a result we are able to keep possession and then pick them off. As a result we do not need to rely on our most creative players as much when we are away.

At home LuaLua was crucial as he could create something out of nothing and win us a game when we were struggling to break the opposition down, Brentford, MK Dons and Bournmouth being prime examples. In my opinion we need a player of similar ilk to replace him, who is able to unlock a stubborn defence. Giving the opposition another creative winger to contend with would also free up Bennett, who at the moment is our only real creative source.

Totally agree.... HP Seagull. good post

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Absoluteley spot on.

We have been good away from home for a while now with or without Lua Lua in the side, Gus' tactics have been excellent and I fully expect that to continue. It is the home form that has been our problem for a long time and Lua Lua was able to break the oppostions tight defences with his pace and ability. This also allowed Bennett more space, now there is no other real creative force Bennett is going to be heavily marked. I feel we do desperately need some sort of replacement with the ability to break a defence down, even if it isnt like for like, or we may have a number of disapointing afternoon's (like Saturday) at Withdean between now and the end of the season.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
No big deal if we don't sign someone today, as Jan is not far off so we'll get who we need then! As for the special player, I wonder if it was Mcquoid who has now gone to Millwall...maybe that's what he meant by saying we can't compete i.e. against a Championship club..just a thought.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I cannot pretend I am not throughly p1ssed off on reading that. We are without doubt short of options in a few areas. Left side being one.

I don't believe finance was a reason we could not compete? God Bless TB for Falmer, he is a very astute business man, and he needs to try and fill his 93 million investment with fans. New fans will come with a successfull team.

If we could not then compete for Championship/League 1 level players, £93 million on a stadium with every possible optional luxury add-on and no money for players would seem strange to me.

I just can't believe its a lack of finance, TB will spend the cash to try and reach the Championship, with its increased TV revenues and increased attendances.

Players wages? no desire to drop to League 1?, Agents? Higher placed clubs pursuing? are much more likely.

I will withold my disappointment until 5pm today. But I hope we can build on and add to the magnificent season thus far. :bhasign: :ascarf: :albion1:

Bloom is from what I understand, quite rightly unwilling to break the wage structure to accommodate a big signing. Hence we did not pick up a "big name" striker at the start of the season. While that is fine, and we have achieved far more than I could have expected (top 6 would have been brilliant for me), I don't think Gus or Tony always handle the PR side that brilliantly. In today's PR age, perception counts as much as fact (unfortunately; I should know, having worked in government), and that counts for fans as much as for the media. However, this is a subject that has been gone over again and again, so I won't go any further.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Football is all about opinions and why Gus is successful and others havent been. IMHO Bennett does not give us as much playing in his free role as he is shackled and not able to use his major strength, which is his speed, in the middle of the park. I believe that he poses more of a threat when he takes on the defenders wide and then gets a decent cross into the box. Kishishev is able to sit in midfield and spray the passes about to the wide men notably Calderon pushing up and Bennett. I believe Bennett out wide would give more oportunities to our 2 front strikers. It is then up to them to put them away. plus we have the added bonus of the odd goal from Elliott which we havent seen much this season. There is nothing to say that I or Easy are right or wrong just a difference of opinion, which will always stimulate discussion and is one of the joys of football as we all think that we could do better than the man in charge.

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
No big deal if we don't sign someone today, as Jan is not far off so we'll get who we need then! As for the special player, I wonder if it was Mcquoid who has now gone to Millwall...maybe that's what he meant by saying we can't compete i.e. against a Championship club..just a thought.

I was thinking along the same lines. Mcquoid has two hat tricks already this season, that's pretty special if you ask me.

BBC Sport - Football - Millwall sign Bournemouth striker Josh McQuoid on loan

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Can't we get a standard run of the mill league one left midfielder in? I know Gus wants to improve the side only but we are very very short of options on the left flank!

Might end up bringing McNulty back and sticking him there!

If only. I'm sure Jimmy can still be an asset. Wonder what went wrong?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here