Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No signing on the way

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My midfield would consist of Bennett playing wide with either Dicker, Sparrow, Kishishev, Bridcutt taking the other 2 or 3 places depending on whether 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 which is the one I would favour. We also have Calderon playing as a right wing back in a diamond formation so this releases Bennett to go wide on the left therefore no room for Smith.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I cannot pretend I am not throughly p1ssed off on reading that. We are without doubt short of options in a few areas. Left side being one.

I don't believe finance was a reason we could not compete? God Bless TB for Falmer, he is a very astute business man, and he needs to try and fill his 93 million investment with fans. New fans will come with a successfull team.

If we could not then compete for Championship/League 1 level players, £93 million on a stadium with every possible optional luxury add-on and no money for players would seem strange to me.

I just can't believe its a lack of finance, TB will spend the cash to try and reach the Championship, with its increased TV revenues and increased attendances.

Players wages? no desire to drop to League 1?, Agents? Higher placed clubs pursuing? are much more likely.

I will withold my disappointment until 5pm today. But I hope we can build on and add to the magnificent season thus far. :bhasign: :ascarf: :albion1:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gus is quite eccentric isn't he?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
My midfield would consist of Bennett playing wide with either Dicker, Sparrow, Kishishev, Bridcutt taking the other 2 or 3 places depending on whether 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 which is the one I would favour. We also have Calderon playing as a right wing back in a diamond formation so this releases Bennett to go wide on the left therefore no room for Smith.
Those players certainly did it for us at both Charlton and Peterborough and with Smith on the bench to give us an option then I don't really think we need to worrry.
It is just about keeping those six midfield players free from injury or suspension.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Fine.

But all I would say is don't tell everyone you are after a special player in the first place.

Now everyone is disappointed.

That's just part of his learning curve, am sure he'll work it out. Our Nigel took a while but now we don't hear until things have happened.....

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I certainly haven't given up hope on us signing anyone today, but it doesn't sound good. Will be very disappointed as we really need a creative spark, especially on the left

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
That's just part of his learning curve, am sure he'll work it out. Our Nigel took a while but now we don't hear until things have happened.....

Trouble is, he should have learnt during the preseason when he announced he planned to have all new signings in place ready for the first day of preseason. This obviously wasn't possible but it dodn't stop a lot of people getting pissed off.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My midfield would consist of Bennett playing wide

Bennett is too good to stick him out wide on the left. I like the fact that Gus deploys him in more of a free role - he's our best player, and should be on the ball as much as possible pulling the strings in attack, not just restricted to the wing.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I cannot pretend I am not throughly p1ssed off on reading that. We are without doubt short of options in a few areas. Left side being one.

I don't believe finance was a reason we could not compete? God Bless TB for Falmer, he is a very astute business man, and he needs to try and fill his 93 million investment with fans. New fans will come with a successfull team.

If we could not then compete for Championship/League 1 level players, £93 million on a stadium with every possible optional luxury add-on and no money for players would seem strange to me.

I just can't believe its a lack of finance, TB will spend the cash to try and reach the Championship, with its increased TV revenues and increased attendances.Players wages? no desire to drop to League 1?, Agents? Higher placed clubs pursuing? are much more likely.

I will withold my disappointment until 5pm today. But I hope we can build on and add to the magnificent season thus far. :bhasign: :ascarf: :albion1:

It could be that the special player Gus had in mind broke the budget and not that there is no money available. I would hate to see our TB turn into the next Simon Jordon splashing cash on any old player to chase the dream.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Bennett is too good to stick him out wide on the left. I like the fact that Gus deploys him in more of a free role - he's our best player, and should be on the ball as much as possible pulling the strings in attack, not just restricted to the wing.

Do you not think he was more effective last year playing on the right? I can see the benefits of him playing in both positions, as he is certainly our most creative player, but he certainly scored more goals from the right and seemed more dangerous. Maybe he should play on the wing at home to enable us to stretch the game.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Do you not think he was more effective last year playing on the right? I can see the benefits of him playing in both positions, as he is certainly our most creative player, but he certainly scored more goals from the right and seemed more dangerous. Maybe he should play on the wing at home to enable us to stretch the game.

I thought he played the role that easy refers to at both Charlton and Peterborough and he caused both teams havoc.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
am not a great fan of Jamie Smith I think he looks like aplayer who may do something but never does but then I didnt go to St Martys so perhaps he will prove me wrong. What I have seen of him I wouldnt put him in the first team we have many others who are better, when fit.

Set up both goals at Swindon on the opening day and I thought played fairly consistently until he was left out for Lua-Lua.

I think if he is given a run in the team he'll be fine.

However, in terms of strength in depth would still like to see a left sided player come in.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Gus was very vocal post Soton match about how disappointed he was with Smith when we brought in Lua Lua, how he just accepted it. Smith may just need to hear that and maybe the 'special player' never existed in tghe first place, maybe it was just a message to Smith to say "we're going to get another player in, are you happy?"
I didn't go but Smith sounded like he's aiming to make that left spot his own after a good display.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I am not a great fan of Jamie Smith I think he looks like aplayer who may do something but never does but then I didnt go to St Martys so perhaps he will prove me wrong. What I have seen of him I wouldnt put him in the first team we have many others who are better, when fit.

You are clearly mad, or a very poor judge of a player... Smith has always played well when given the chance... just not given enough chances... looks like he will now get a lot more - see Gus' comments after Saints game...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

We certainly need flexibility, which is EXACTLY why we need Smith in lieu of a KLL 'replacement'

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

He's just so good at finding space though, I wouldn't want to restrict him to the wing. And he's CERTAINLY not the answer to our wide-left position as Bensgrandad was suggesting.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He's just so good at finding space though, I wouldn't want to restrict him to the wing. And he's CERTAINLY not the answer to our wide-left position as Bensgrandad was suggesting.

Spot on Easy

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Like most people I think Smith is a decent little player, though I'm confused about the "he can do a job on the left" arguments. When he came on against the Saints I'm sure he played behind the front two, not on the left. I don't think it'll be that devastating if we don't get anyone else in, for me we play pretty well with two up front, Bennett roaming and 3 of Sparrow, Kish, Dicker, Smith or Bridcutt in midfield.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I thought he played the role that easy refers to at both Charlton and Peterborough and he caused both teams havoc.

He did indeed. I guess I was referring more to home games, as the system we play away suits Bennett playing in the free role. At Withdean it is not always as easy for him to play there as visiting sides set up to be compact, making it difficult to find space in the middle and as a result leaving more space out wide. To be honest I don't have a problem with him playing either position, it was just a thought.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
If we don't sign someone don't think our Gus will be too chuffed. Went out of his way to say we needed someone and someone special was on radar but it was out of his hands. Without a new winger we become very obvious in the way we play, narrow midfield with Bennett occupying a free role.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here