Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nice article on the Independent's website

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seems he was mainly an armchair Arsenal fan and there are many of us who fit into the same mould of switching to the Albion as a live match experience when they move down here, I think. I do anyway.

Ward seems to get crucified because he writes about it. Not sure he's actually done anything to deserve some of the vitriol he gets.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I thought Gullhanger was quite cutesy. What's the matter with it/him?

I downloaded it for the 77p it cost. He started annoying me after the first couple of paragraphs. Fair play to him, he's given the club a lot of support and will always take stick for being a JCL (including my sarcastic comment at the top). But it just grates. It reminded me of the Joe McGinnis attempted love affair with Castel di Sangro. It's like he either wants to make a bit of money from his new love or he just wants everyone to give him a big congratulation for having the ability to love another team fully. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but I just find it slightly annoying rather than cutesey.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I downloaded it for the 77p it cost. He started annoying me after the first couple of paragraphs. Fair play to him, he's given the club a lot of support and will always take stick for being a JCL (including my sarcastic comment at the top). But it just grates. It reminded me of the Joe McGinnis attempted love affair with Castel di Sangro. It's like he either wants to make a bit of money from his new love or he just wants everyone to give him a big congratulation for having the ability to love another team fully. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but I just find it slightly annoying rather than cutesey.

His substance and style is just zzzzzzzzzzzz

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
His substance and style is just zzzzzzzzzzzz

He actually says in the book that he decided to support Brighton because he wanted something to get "irrationally impassionate about". He might as well say "Oh, i'm bored, give me a new toy". I actually thought the article in the Independent was ok, but the more you read him, the more you see he's just talking about himself. No real interest in the club other than an extension to his ego from what I've read.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Mike Ward it a total football knob, it is beyond comprehension how he makes money from this total crap that he writes.

He has single handedly killed to phone-in afterwards to be some matey block chat about what bigger clubs were doing whereas Harty nailed it.

How anyone can support one club and then decide to support another is beyond belief and totally immoral.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't see that snobby comments about the Star are relevant, though his Albion musings leave me pretty lukewarm.

The only thing he has ever written that actually annoyed me, rather than just washed over, was telling Brighton fans how they should feel about Palace. It just showed the vast chasm between his own experience, someone coming in at 2002 when the rivalry was all but extinct, and more longstanding supporters. Or even more recent ones with half a clue from family or friends.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
That is a good article. Salvation is available in the good ship Albion.

It might prompt be to write an article as an Albion fan. The conclusion is the same, but by a different route.

It could easily be the same if it wasn't for three single events: Bobby Smith I of Spurs, Brian Clough/Mike Bamber/Alan Mullery and the Amex. The Arsenal game is so IMPORTANT it could be the fourth big event if we win with style. Otherwise it might just pass as a another false dawn.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
The stadium WE campaigned so hard for annoys me. In fact his whole WE context annoys me. I remember wearing a we want falmer shirt at 9 years of age, writing emails to MP's through puberty, me and my Dad watched the CEEFAX for 2 hours as we watched the Hereford game update, I feel after randomly picking Albion 12 years ago he is far FAR away from being able to say WE.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Mike Ward it a total football knob, it is beyond comprehension how he makes money from this total crap that he writes.

He has single handedly killed to phone-in afterwards to be some matey block chat about what bigger clubs were doing whereas Harty nailed it.

How anyone can support one club and then decide to support another is beyond belief and totally immoral.

That's not very nice is it now Beachy! I've had a couple of encounters with Mike both on the phone and in person, and in that short time I've been in his presence he's come across as a very nice bloke. If people don't like his writing, that's fine, but he's not a knob. Just a normal bloke making a living. Really no need to be nasty.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
The stadium WE campaigned so hard for annoys me. In fact his whole WE context annoys me. I remember wearing a we want falmer shirt at 9 years of age, writing emails to MP's through puberty, me and my Dad watched the CEEFAX for 2 hours as we watched the Hereford game update, I feel after randomly picking Albion 12 years ago he is far FAR away from being able to say WE.

FWIW, he wrote for the One F in Falmer fanzine, for nothing. Now I'm not saying that had any particular value to the campaign, but he was around when we were campaigning, and played his part, more so I bet then some of the current people filling the Amex, so he has every right to say WE.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here