nfl season 2009

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I saw the Packer's highlights v Rams.

Well worth watching just to see a catch by Driver (I think).
He was fighting off the defender, diving, and clutching the ball with just his left hand.

It all looked very special.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Much better showing from my Cowboys last night. Defense was superb and Romo cut down his errors. Not the best performance in the world and will deffo have to step it up a level against the Broncos this weekend.

Not Romo's best game last night was it? Why he kept throwing towards Bailey on that final drive is a mystery. Someone put on an NFL board last night '2/3rds of the world is covered by water, the rest by Champ Bailey'.

Another totally unexpected win for the Broncos with our D holding out superbly after a flag ridden first quarter for the team. Us Broncos fans are having to get used to a different type of quarterback now. I don't see Orton making big plays or coming up with a stunning two minute drill from our own 20 but he is playing sensible, turnover free football. Still, 4-0 is well on the way to the 6-10 season I was expecting. Patriots next week so not expecting to stay unbeaten but it's been good so far.

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
The Jags were very good against the Titans yesterday. 37-17 very comprehensive. Disappointing attendance of 49,000 but to be expected I suppose. Hopefully the missing fans will be back soon as based on yesterday's performance the team deserves support. At least as and when Tebow is drafted the stadium will be full again. Jacksonville - an NFL town where EVERYONE prefers college football. Go Gators!!!!!!

thedonkeycentrehalf

Jul 7, 2003
Disappointing attendance of 49,000 but to be expected I suppose. Hopefully the missing fans will be back soon as based on yesterday's performance the team deserves support. At least as and when Tebow is drafted the stadium will be full again. Jacksonville - an NFL town where EVERYONE prefers college football. Go Gators!!!!!!

Stories on the NFL website the other week about the Jags looking to play some games down in Orlando to try and get bigger crowds. The problem is that the Citrus Bowl is not up to NFL standard - especially for the club seats - so would require investment. If they don't do something soon then I can see the franchise being shifted elsewhere and LA are still itching to get a team back in town.

As for Tebow, not even in the current top 16 for players to be drafted next season. Any move for him made by the Jags would be seen as a desperate attempt to court favour with the locals. Whether the salary they would have to pay him would be worth his talent and get the increased fan base the Jags need is questionable.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Stories on the NFL website the other week about the Jags looking to play some games down in Orlando to try and get bigger crowds. The problem is that the Citrus Bowl is not up to NFL standard - especially for the club seats - so would require investment. If they don't do something soon then I can see the franchise being shifted elsewhere and LA are still itching to get a team back in town.

As for Tebow, not even in the current top 16 for players to be drafted next season. Any move for him made by the Jags would be seen as a desperate attempt to court favour with the locals. Whether the salary they would have to pay him would be worth his talent and get the increased fan base the Jags need is questionable.

Hmm arw LA going to get the stadium?

How many times does LA need (and loose) a team to proove there is not enough interest in having a pro team there. IMHO

thedonkeycentrehalf

Jul 7, 2003
Hmm arw LA going to get the stadium?

How many times does LA need (and loose) a team to proove there is not enough interest in having a pro team there. IMHO

I agree - I don't think they deserve a team but as celebs hanging out at sporting events is now trendy again LA want a piece of the action. There was a plan earlier in the year to drive through permission to build a new stadium at a place called Industry Los Angeles Stadium but the locals are up in arms at this and putting up a big fight.

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
The Orlando thing is all getting a bit blown out of proportion. Wayne Weaver said IF the regular season was extended to 18 games and IF the Jags wanted to stage upto 2 games a season in a secondary market Orlando would be somewhere they would look at. As you point out the Citrus Bowl is nowhere near NFL standard. No idea what it would cost to bring it up.

WIll have to respectfully disagree with you (DCH) about TT. Will bow to your greater knowledge of the game and admit that I'm somewhat one eyed about the Gators (who are let's face it the best college team in the country by a million miles) but counter that with the fact that I watch him play each week.
Whoever gets him will get an absolute star. Hoping that his likely availabilty in the first round , his local roots and the fact that other teams may have needs other than at QB will mean he will become a Jag. 60% of the over 1 million population of the metropolitan Jacksonville area are Gator fans so that would logically have a knock on benefit of selling more tickets. Maybe you have to live here to understand Tebow mania.

Incidentally there is a new sports bar up the road so maybe we can head up there for part of the Vandy game in a few weeks time and leave our wives at home getting pissed on cheap wine and you can see for yourself?

thedonkeycentrehalf

Jul 7, 2003
Ladies and Gentlemen, by some strange miracle, raise your glasses to the 5-0 Broncos. Any win against the Patriots is to be celebrated but this was one very special.

All these late Sunday evenings in front of Game Pass are not good for me - game didn't finish until nearly 12:45am and had to be up for work five and a half hours later. I'm getting too old to manage on that little sleep:yawn:

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
Yes yes congratulations. 5 and 0 blah blah blah. All coming to an end in San Diego next week though.

Felt sure when I saw you were the last poster on here there would be a reference to the Jags travelling woes and pleasantly surprised to see there weren't.

Cincinatti are my dark horses to go deep into the post season this time.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Yes yes congratulations. 5 and 0 blah blah blah. All coming to an end in San Diego next week though.

Felt sure when I saw you were the last poster on here there would be a reference to the Jags travelling woes and pleasantly surprised to see there weren't.

As a Chargers fan, I'm not all that convinced we will beat Denver. OK on paper we should, but on paper you'd have put more money on them being 0-5 than 5-0 at the moment!

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by

I can't see it myself. You can't get away with flukey last minute wins every week throught the whole season, sooner or later it will catch up with them. the fact they only beat the BUNGLES in the last seconds of OT says to me that they're not so good as their current record suggests. If it wasn't for us missing Troy and having a spastic 4th quarter they would have lost to the Steelers and although the pens were probably good calls, i don't think Chad would have made any of the catches on that final drive on Sunday so they could easily have lost that one too.

Steelers and Ravens from AFC north again for me

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Hello Starry it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, abuse Crystal Palace or just engage in a conversation with everyone else on the Big Board?

so here i am.

was disappointed with the bears this week. not too much to say, we have traded out again from the draft this year by bringing in gaines adams. we gave our first pick up for cutler and now second for adams. in lovie we trust.

off to wembley on sunday looks like it's going to absolutely pelt down again. i was reading through the stats from the titans and pats game, the titans are woeful the pats shoved the reserves on from the 3rd. what a disastrous season for the titans though, i put them in my season division bet as well. oh well. looking forward to seeing mjd. hopefully it will be a good game.

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
Starry - the Donkey Centre Half will also be attending. Sure he'd probably be up for a meet. Why don't you get in touch? Alternatively join us both for a spot of tailgating 2 weeks after that for the Jags vs Chiefs game (yeah I know it will be a thriller!!) and we'll all have a couple of beers.

Cheers,
William
Florida BHA , Gators and Jags (not necessarily in that order)

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
i will definitely get in touch with him, i will have my children in tow and if they co-operate i am always up for a beer!

in my last post i had written a paragraph about going to see the jags @ jets in november, managed to fit a business meeting around, hence the reference to mjd but that paragraph vanished.

i saw the razorback gators game at the weekend, thought arkansas gave it a good game but florida looked good (as per normal!) big game for my mizzou tigers this weekend, texas. we've lost the last two so am not too hopeful.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Jeez, that Wembley game is going to be a blowout.!! Been offered tickets, but I think I'll give it a miss.

Lpoking forward to the real thing when I go and see Eagles v Redskins @ the Linc in November. Can't wait.!!

thedonkeycentrehalf

Jul 7, 2003
Glad to see this thread still alive. Still can't believe the now 6-0 start that the Broncos have made. Didn't expect to beat the Patriots or the Chargers. At least now we won't be any worse than my pre-season prediction of a 6-10 season:smile:

Starry - I'll be there with my boy and was planning to get to the tailgate by 2pm so if you want to meet up PM me.

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
Starry - hope MJD is worth watching at the Meadowlands. Three touchdowns again on Sunday. The second time he's done that this season. Sadly I think that cold conditions and a road game has all the ingredients of the Jags not showing up.

The Gators put me through hell on Saturday. Arkansas were much better than expected and I'm glad their QB overthrew those two passes when they had receivers open in the end zone. The Gators were pretty terrible and only really got it together on that last drive when they played like they should have all game. With that said they did have some bad luck. Hoping that Urban Meyer is working them hard this week and that Mississippi State will get hammered this week. Am probably going to take my boy down to the Jags stadium the week after for the Florida vs Georgia game. Apparently there will be around 100,000 people down there without tickets and they show the game outside on 2 huge Jumbotrons. Friends from work are getting down there to tailgate from 8a.m. Now I just need to figure out a way to leave the car at home! There is no such thing as public transport in J'ville unfortunately. Well at least not out in the leafy pleasant suburbs of St John's County which is where I am.

Hope you manage to get together with Fat Bloke , sorry , the DCH on Sunday. He will be in my neck of the woods a couple of days after that.

All the best
Billy/Ian

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Buffalo Bills coach Dick Jauron has been fired. The Bills are currently among the lowest scoring teams in the NFL. Jauron's replacement to be announced later. The Bills have gone thru' 4 coaches since 2000 - not quite as many as the Albion !

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
anyone still around? not much to say from me, the bears suck. our defence is awful this year. would be very surprised if lovie is still with us next year. we are at minnesota on sunday so fully expecting another beat down. sigh. at least leeds have found winning ways.

i went over for the jags @ jets game when mjd downed it at the one yard line to stop the jets getting the ball back. smart play but of course highly unpopular with the locals. enjoyed it. then went to see the eagles bears game this past weekend, didn't enjoy that so much but hey ho.

new orleans to go all the way?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports