Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

nfl season 2009

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I think I will get into this again this season. How do you guys pick which team to support?
I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to yank footy but i was thinking of going for the Seatle Seahawks ( bit like the Seagulls). Are they any good?

Go for The Packers - the only club owned by the FANS!!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I’ve always supported the Giants as it’s my local side but might switch to the Buffalo Bills as there is talk of them moving to Toronto. It would mean no more American Football in Western New York and to me that is just too much like what happened with Brighton playing at Gillingham and Wimbledon becoming MK Dons. The NFL just seems more worried about extending its franchise than looking after the fans.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I’ve always supported the Giants as it’s my local side but might switch to the Buffalo Bills as there is talk of them moving to Toronto. It would mean no more American Football in Western New York and to me that is just too much like what happened with Brighton playing at Gillingham and Wimbledon becoming MK Dons. The NFL just seems more worried about extending its franchise than looking after the fans.

I've been a massive Bills fan since birth (pretty much), and this does really concern me. One of the big appeals of the team to me is its closeness to its fanbase, and the fact that it represents an unfashionable, blue collar part of America.

Moving would be devastating for the region, and I don't think I'd continue to support the team in Toronto. As well, last season the Bills moved their biggest game of the season to Toronto, it didn't even sell out and there was more noise for the visitors!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
favre is now a viking. i thought he had decided to retire. not too worried about what that means for our division, the first three or four years he ripped into the bears when he was at the packers but since then we've been on top of him. goodbye tavaris! not sure what favre has left in the tank, he will either be superb or it will be car crash football!

can i sell the chicago bears to you? the monsters of the midway? one of only two original franchises still in existence, we were formed in 1919 (the cardinals is the other franchise btw) the rest of the teams are just new kids on the block ;) we have won the most regular and post season games, more than any other franchise, and we have the most players in the hall of fame. despite all that we have only won the superbowl once, always seem to fall at the final (or close!) hurdle. we made up one of the best sports songs too
YouTube - The Super Bowl Shuffle:The Bears
and that team was simply immense.

lots of history at the bears! the seahawks have only been around since 1976.
QUOTE]

Favre - Legend for the Packers - should have called it a day by now though.

Packers were also formed in 1919, but didn't form a franchise till 1921. Hardly new kids on the Block!

They have also won more championships (12) than any other team in pro football.

In fact here is a piece from the Packers website - remember Green Bay is a town of just 100,000 people......

The Green Bay Packers have won more championships -- 12 -- than any other team in National Football League history.

They won their first three by league standing (1929, 1930 and 1931), and nine since the NFL's playoff system was established in 1933 (1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967 and 1996).

Green Bay also is the only NFL team to win three straight titles, having done it twice (1929-30-31 and 1965-66-67).

In addition, the Packers won the first two Super Bowls (over Kansas City in 1966, 35-10, and over Oakland in 1967, 33-14), as well as a more recent one (over New England in 1996, 35-21).

Since the league implemented a playoff system in 1933, the Packers have played in the NFL's deciding game 12 times (10 NFL title appearances from 1936-67, two Super Bowls after the 1970 merger). Only the Giants (18) have played for more titles.

I bet Bears fans just love reading all that!!

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Anyone know what's happening with the NFL TV rights then? Has ESPN got it?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Be interesting to see if Michael Vick can still hack it with the Eagles (The real Eagles).

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Anyone know what's happening with the NFL TV rights then? Has ESPN got it?

Every Sunday, Sky Sports will show a live tripleheader including Sunday Night Football, with an alternative two games available behind the red button for Sky digital subscribers. Monday Night Football will also be shown live on Sky Sports 1. Sky also has coverage of all Thursday and Saturday games that follow late in the season.

From early January, Sky will show all the live postseason action, with back-to-back games on the Saturday and Sunday of Wild Card and Divisional play-off weekend. Sunday January 18th sees live coverage of both the AFC and NFC Championship games, followed a fortnight later with Super Bowl XLIII live from Tampa Bay, Florida on Sunday February 1st. One week later fans will also be able to see Pro Bowl, live, from Hawaii.

Channel Five's live coverage of the Sunday Night and Monday Night games kicks off at the start of the regular-season. Throughout the year Five will carry coverage of Monday Night Football, while they pick up Sunday Night Football from Week Nine (Sunday November 2nd).

The BBC is a terrestrial partner of the NFL in the UK, and will show the NFL International Series game live on BBC2 on Sunday October 26th, as well as live coverage of Super Bowl

Also you can buy nfl gamepass via Yahoo that allows you to warch all games live bar the ones shown on any of the above, or pass a reduced fee and watch just one selected teams games.

I always record and watch Channel 5 up until the Wild Card games when I buy a months worth of Sky Sports.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Blah Blah Blah

Channel Five's live coverage of the Sunday Night and Monday Night games kicks off at the start of the regular-season. Throughout the year Five will carry coverage of Monday Night Football, while they pick up Sunday Night Football from Week Nine (Sunday November 2nd).

opps seen I looked at this years and posted last years

Sky will air live games at 6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. every Sunday night through the 2009 NFL season, as well as providing coverage of the Saturday and Thursday night games that take place during the final seven weeks of the season.

From early January, Sky will show all the live postseason action, with back-to-back games on the Saturday and Sunday of Wild Card and Divisional play-off weekend. Sunday January 24th sees live coverage of both the AFC and NFC Championship games, followed a fortnight later with Super Bowl XLIV live from Miami, Florida on Sunday February 7th. Sky will also have coverage of the Pro Bowl, also from Miami, on Sunday January 31st.

Channel Five's live coverage of the Sunday Night Football games kicks off at the start of the regular-season. Throughout the year Five will carry coverage of Sunday Night Football, with Mike Carlson and Nat Coombs hosting the action.

The BBC is a terrestrial partner of the NFL in the UK, and will show the NFL International Series game on BBC2 on Sunday October 25th, as well as live coverage of Super Bowl XLIV from Miami, Florida on Sunday February 7th, 2010

BBC will also have game comentary on Five Live Sports extra radio.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I have found an even better list on an nfluk forum;

Here is a clear picture of everywhere you can watch / follow NFL this season:

Sky Sports:
- 6pm / 9pm games every Sunday
- Thursday Night opener – Thursday September 10th
- NFL International Series game from Wembley exclusively live
- Thursday / Friday / Saturday Night games – Weeks 10-17
- Thanksgiving Day tripleheader – Week 12 – Thursday November 26th
- All postseason games live
- Pro Bowl
- Super Bowl XLIV
- NFL Network coverage including NFL Total Access five times per week

Five:
- Sunday Night Football live every Sunday
- Magazine show every Saturday morning at 10:30am hosted by Trevor Nelson and Natalie Pinkham

BBC:
- Super Bowl XLIV live
- Highlights of NFL International Series game

BBC Radio 5 Live Extra:
- Live games every Sunday at 9pm
- Live games every week of the Playoffs
- Super Bowl XLIV live

NFL Game Pass (https://gamepass.nfl.com/nflgp/secur..._GP_UK_309x148)
- All games available to watch live except 6pm / 9pm games on Sky Sports
- Full archive of every game played during the season
- Live NFL Network feed

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
There must be anothe rpackage to be announced then because at the moment nobody is showing MNF. From what i've read it looks like it'll go to ESPN as that's who broadcast it in the States.

Also as Sky aren't showing Red Button games is there a chance that ESPN will show some Sunday evening games as well or is that just to try and sell more Gamepass subscriptions?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
There must be anothe rpackage to be announced then because at the moment nobody is showing MNF. From what i've read it looks like it'll go to ESPN as that's who broadcast it in the States.

Also as Sky aren't showing Red Button games is there a chance that ESPN will show some Sunday evening games as well or is that just to try and sell more Gamepass subscriptions?

Do we know that sky aren't showing them?

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
ESPN are showing Monday Night Football in Europe but not in the UK. At present I think no live Monday night football in the UK unless you have Yahoo game pass.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
From what i've read it looks like it'll go to ESPN as that's who broadcast it in the States.

The NFL TV rights in the States are split between NBC, Fox, CBS and ESPN. ESPN have the rights to Monday night games with the others sharing Sunday nights. So I’d guess ESPN UK can show any of the games they have rights to in the US and Sky could show any of the Fox games as it’s also owned by Murdoch.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
The NFL TV rights in the States are split between NBC, Fox, CBS and ESPN. ESPN have the rights to Monday night games with the others sharing Sunday nights. So I’d guess ESPN UK can show any of the games they have rights to in the US and Sky could show any of the Fox games as it’s also owned by Murdoch.

Don't think it works like that though (although could be wrong). I think that the British company buy the rights from the directly from the NFL, but we get the feed from CBS, Fox etc because its win-win all round; i.e. they get money for doing nothing extra, and Sky/5 etc pay much less than sending their own production team.

So I don't think ESPN would have any hold over MNF in itself in this country, as they only own the rights for it in the USA. However, they may well be able to withold their own broadcast from a riva in this country - which would effectively mean they do control it.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
I bet Bears fans just love reading all that!!

sorry my eyes glazed over :laugh:

fair play though, i don't like the packers but they are a proper football team. should be a cracking game on sunday night. i have taken monday off so can stay up and have a few beers and watch it.

sounds like cutler is finding his rhythm with us now, preseason has been ok for us. nothing spectacular but i am quietly confident. will be a close division this year i think with the vikings, packers and us. playing the nfc west as well and that is a division full of mongs so could be a high win season for us.

really looking forward to it.

glad to hear sky came through in the end.

been watching a lot of bafl. my hampshire thrashers got to the semi final but were beaten 49-20 by colchester. doesn't seem important though, two weeks earlier alan newcombe who play for the maidstone pumas dropped down dead ont he sideline at the game with east kent. only 26 years old. awful.

onto the nfl. i have been having a little dabble on stan james over the divisions. some are sown are - pats, chargers etc, but on an accumulator you can get good value.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here